It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA becoming a dictatorship?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
I have always thought that these concerns were at best overblown. Things could be so, so, so much worse than they are. On the whole, things are pretty good.

Nazi Germany did not transform into a facist state overnight. In the early 1930s Germany would have been recognizable as a open parliamentary democracy. Their system was corrupted little by little. The ten steps that Naomi Wolf talks about are universal to the closing down of open societies and they are going on in America right now. Did you even read the original poster's link before chiming in?

The Patriot Act.
Illegal warrantless wiretapping by the NSA.
Secret "black site" prisons.
Torture, and a society that condones torture on a marginalized minority (Jack Bauer anyone?)
The suspension of Habeas Corpus.

Things might seem pretty good, but in reality there has never been a worse assault on constitutional freedoms in the history of the United States.

I suggest to everyone viewing this thread to actually listen to her speech before completely writing off her premise.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Rahul Buttar]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

reply to post by savage soldier

Ah, yes, of course. So silly of me.

Perhaps if I began with the normative view that anything 180 degrees opposite from the mainstream is necessarily true and that anyone who advocates a position in line with the establishment is serving an elitist agenda, I would be better served intellectually. A position that both extremes are generally blind to the truth is a naturally unhealthy analytical scheme.

[edit on 12/3/2007 by Togetic]

im sorry if i come off as an extremist, because i assure you im not. im just saying that all the evedence that i have found is pointing towards this conclusion and i am very worried about it. please tell me you understand and im not making myself look like an ass.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rahul Buttar

I have always thought that these concerns were at best overblown. Things could be so, so, so much worse than they are. On the whole, things are pretty good.

Nazi Germany did not transform into a facist state overnight. In the early 1930s Germany would have been recognizable as a open parliamentary democracy. Their system was corrupted little by little. The ten steps that Naomi Wolf talks about are universal to the closing down of open societies and they are going on in America right now. Did you even read the original poster's link before chiming in?

The Patriot Act.
Illegal warrantless wiretapping by the NSA.
Secret "black site" prisons.
Torture, and a society that condones torture on a marginalized minority (Jack Bauer anyone?)
The suspension of Habeas Corpus.

Things might seem pretty good, but in reality there has never been a worse assault on constitutional freedoms in the history of the United States.

I suggest to everyone viewing this thread to actually listen to her speech before completely writing off her premise.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Rahul Buttar]

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i can not type my thoughts very well but you have said everything i meant to say, thank you!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I feel like democracy and freedom are dying in the US, the secret societies running the country will continue enslaving the american people and eventually other countries.

Why is freedom dying? Freedom is a silly word anyways. If you give people too much freedom, some of them will "freely" choose to be completely ignorant on current events and they'll vote like a knucklehead... then everyone suffers. We have to earn our freedom by reforming our education system and creating an intelligent population capable of making good decisions thereby benefiting the whole society.

Where is this secret gov't? We are a victim of our own design really. Why do people always lash out at the gov't? Also, I don't see many people getting "enslaved" in this country
Your more likely to get enslaved in another country because that's what our constitution is for!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Yes, I would say that voting machines that count backwards, the loss of habreas corpus, and being sent to war on false pretenses are worrisome to say the least! The crap that this administration has been able to get away with is amazing. If we lose our right to vote (or for our vote to be counted) and we lose the right to a fair trial, then what good do any other supposed "freedoms" do us? When "torture" is deemed appropriate even though it has been proven to be undependable at gaining reliable intelligence, and the Geneva Convention is categorized as "quaint" then exactly what are our rights? When the line between religion and government grows fuzzier by the day, what must we believe in order to remain free?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

I feel like democracy and freedom are dying in the US, the secret societies running the country will continue enslaving the american people and eventually other countries.

Why is freedom dying? Freedom is a silly word anyways. If you give people too much freedom, some of them will "freely" choose to be completely ignorant on current events and they'll vote like a knucklehead... then everyone suffers. We have to earn our freedom by reforming our education system and creating an intelligent population capable of making good decisions thereby benefiting the whole society.

Where is this secret gov't? We are a victim of our own design really. Why do people always lash out at the gov't? Also, I don't see many people getting "enslaved" in this country
Your more likely to get enslaved in another country because that's what our constitution is for!

i agree with you i think the whole secret society thing is a bunch of crap. but i do think that the government is purposely misinforming its citizens so that they easily reduce our freedoms.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

i agree with you i think the whole secret society thing is a bunch of crap. but i do think that the government is purposely misinforming its citizens so that they easily reduce our freedoms. its a lot easier of a job if nobody truly understands how this country works, or even where it is on a map!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join