It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Blocks USS Kitty Hawk Carrier from Hong Kong

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

China Blocks USS Kitty Hawk Carrier from Hong Kong

www.reuters.com

The Chinese move comes as a surprise just weeks after a visit to China by U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, which he said he hoped would lead to a long-term dialogue.

"At present, it appears the USS Kitty Hawk strike group will not be making a port call in Hong Kong as previously planned as a result of a last-minute denial by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs," State Department spokeswoman Nicole Thompson said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

-----------------------------
Trimmed external quote

[edit on 22/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Unbelievable wow this is a big step for china, expecially after all the bad press they are getting here about their exports.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
Unbelievable wow this is a big step for china, expecially after all the bad press they are getting here about their exports.

Maybe it's because of the bad press that they're doing it. I don't know, if somebody keeps on pissing me off and airing my dirty laundry, I wouldn't want them in my house either.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Personally I think it is alot of things mainly because of Taiwan....look what we did with our Kidd Class DDG's sold them....... helped them upgrade and overhaul them and teach them about our systems. You have to keep in mind Kidd class Destroyers are the closest thing to Aegis there is.....Pretty much is....... we just cannot say Aegis. Because of China's threats.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I didn't know about that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

For anyone else who's interested, linky:
DDG-993 KIDD-class

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by kdial1

I didn't know about that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

For anyone else who's interested, linky:
DDG-993 KIDD-class

No problem
I worked on overhauling the radars for them with a company I used to work for. They would always tell me that there was China government spies that were in the Taiwanese navy so I couldn't give them too much information.....but it is still scary to know that especially when these systems that I work on are classified secret and the US navy still uses them....makes you wonder how Taiwanese Security clearances are

[edit on 22-11-2007 by kdial1]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

The Kitty Hawk will be visiting HK for Thanksgiving.

news.yahoo.com...

BEIJING (AFP) - China said Thursday it would allow the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier into Hong Kong for a Thanksgiving visit, after US officials complained that permission had been mysteriously withheld.

`````````````````````````````````
replaced quote with 'ex' tags for external material

please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Kitty Hawk full of armed planes, huh...

Damn, what if it's actually a plan to invade China / Capture the Hong Kong?

We'll see....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by searching_for_truth

Oh wow, thanks for that article! I've always thought the excuse given for those bases to be rather flimsy. The troubled regions are in the far south. Most of the base locations are in the north. There's only one base in the south (there could be more). Something didn't add up.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Isnt this poor and blocked U.S.S. Kitty Hawk that same carrier group, that was not so long ago, surprised by a Chinese Submarine, which tricked at least a dozen warships in the battle group and popped up at the heart of this Pacific exercise and VERY close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk? I guess the mighty U.S.Navy can not sail all the worlds oceans without any problems anymore...

[edit on 22/11/07 by Souljah]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

Hey Souljah, bring it.

If you have some information that is insightful to the situation, by all means share it.

Talk is very cheap here. Please explain the details of the Kitty Hawk and the sub incident? Do you know any more than what the Daily Mail wrote? I mean the Daily Mail is the final word in the world media. Right?

Ever been to Hong Kong? I have, who cares. Who looses here? Can you say Hong Kong merchants. 8000 sailor and families with money to burn. Notice the US said screw you, and headed to Japan.

With all due respect of course.

As always: "Go Navy." Happy Thanksgiving to all of our service men and women serving overseas that can't be home today.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Why the suprise. China considers America its #1 enemy. Both China and Russia have figured out that it is no longer the American people who make the decisions but it is greedy cooperations. They have a better Idea on who is calling the reals shots here in America more than most Americans. We thinks it's the Republican or Democrats or whoever is in office but that is FAKE. Don't believe me?
If we, the American people had our way then there would be no American Troops in Iraq. Afghanistan is one thing. Iraq is a total LIE.
If we, the American people had our way then there would be no missles being set up in Eastern Europe.
If we had our way then there would be health coverage for all, but there isn't.(and don't tell me we can't afford it when were shipping pallet loads of cash to Iraq)
If we had our way then alot of those jobs would not have been shipped overseas.
Yes The Chinese know more than most of us Americans do about how our own society.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by seawolf197
reply to post by Souljah

Hey Souljah, bring it.

If you have some information that is insightful to the situation, by all means share it.

Talk is very cheap here. Please explain the details of the Kitty Hawk and the sub incident? Do you know any more than what the Daily Mail wrote? I mean the Daily Mail is the final word in the world media. Right?

Ever been to Hong Kong? I have, who cares. Who looses here? Can you say Hong Kong merchants. 8000 sailor and families with money to burn. Notice the US said screw you, and headed to Japan.

With all due respect of course.

As always: "Go Navy." Happy Thanksgiving to all of our service men and women serving overseas that can't be home today.

Hoorah Seawolf. People are so stuck in mainstream media it is sick!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US and guess what.......

The Carrier group is not going to hong kong even after they opened it to them today abruptly. Instead they are headed to Japan here is the article
Headed to Japan

Sticking it right back at em

[edit on 22-11-2007 by kdial1]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Kitty Hawk full of armed planes, huh...

Damn, what if it's actually a plan to invade China / Capture the Hong Kong?

We'll see....

We have been making port visits there for almost a half century. This is a comman R&R for those who serve. I doubt we will see anything.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Originally posted by kdial1

Maybe it's because of the bad press that they're doing it. I don't know, if somebody keeps on pissing me off and airing my dirty laundry, I wouldn't want them in my house either.

I would bet it IS because of exactly that..

We do love to ridicule people, talk down to them like they are children, like for instance we do to Russia, China, Iran, we did to Iraq etc..

Of course while I think we act childishly towards Iran, Russia, and many South American nations..

I have to agree 100% on our governments stance on China.. We need to protect our people from their exports, and we need to protect our economy from being exploited by our own corporations using China as a method to reap larger capital. Their slowly growing military will only be enough to offset their own domestic issues, but China knows the game.

Trade wars.

We engaged in them with Japan. It does not mean we are military enemies, it means each believes the economic situation for either nations is unfavorable on purpose, which is true in China's part because of their slave labor, lack of protocols for exported goods, almost no environmental standards, and a very under valued currency. I have no problem with America playing the trade war game with China, so long as we win and not loose like we did to Japan.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seawolf197
Do you know any more than what the Daily Mail wrote? I mean the Daily Mail is the final word in the world media. Right?

Here's a better source...

(AP) A Chinese submarine came close to the USS Kitty Hawk carrier group in the Pacific Ocean last month, a top U.S. naval commander confirmed Tuesday, adding the encounter could have triggered an "unforeseen" incident.
www.cbsnews.com...

The guerrilla news site that was linked above, and Souljah failed to mention this...

The carrier group was not engaged in anti-submarine exercises, but if it had, "and if this Chinese sub came in the middle of this, then it could have escalated into something that could have been very unforeseen," he said.

Meaning they weren't looking for subs, they were in an excercise and the Chinese sub is lucky it didn't take an unexpected dive. If we were on a real war footing I'm sure they'd have been looking for subs so this a hollow "victory" to hang your hat on.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Great post

I totally understand your position in regards to China. But personally I think America has already lost the trade war, or at the very least are at the critical point where one more blow will result in a knock out. They lost the minute they opened their doors to China.
    "If the enemy leaves a door open, you must rush in."

-Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Rockpuck
We do love to ridicule people, talk down to them like they are children, like for instance we do to Russia, China, Iran, we did to Iraq etc..

Every country needs a national past-time. My country, Malaysia, has an obsession with making and breaking absurd records.

Malaysia's record-breaking obsession

Sigh... :shk:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I totally understand your position in regards to China. But personally I think America has already lost the trade war, or at the very least are at the critical point where one more blow will result in a knock out. They lost the minute they opened their doors to China.

"If the enemy leaves a door open, you must rush in."

-Sun Tzu

Wouldn't doubt it. Perhaps if the world falls into an economic recession or even a depression (just read Gools thread on Asian markets being pumbled by the Credit markets) we can sort of "reboot" our trading policy. And for heavens sake, please remove China as MFNS (Most Favored Nation Status) with the G8 and WTO. The title sounds exalting, its actually a mild insult, but none the less their are benefits with the title that assist Chinese exploitation.

Every country needs a national past-time. My country, Malaysia, has an obsession with making and breaking absurd records.

Malaysia's record-breaking obsession

Sigh...

That was a good read. Broken any records yourself?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Broken any records yourself?

I had a Stargate Marathon from season 1 until season 10 about 4 months back. Had a break of two hours to sleep at the start of Season 6.

That was wicked. Broke my previous record of a Star Trek: Voyager Marathon, all seven seasons.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join