It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ethical Voting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
So, i've got a big problem.

I have been a fan of Ron Paul since the first Republican debate where he threw Rudy into a tizzy over his claims that we should look at our own foreign policy since the end of WWII if we want to understand why muslims really want to attack us. I've always considered myself an independent because i believe in some republican principles and some democratic one's.

Since that first debate, i've been planning to register as a Republican so i can vote for Ron Paul in the Florida primaries. I just completed my registration application yesterday, and when it came time to note my party affiliation, i blanked.

Is it ethical to change your party affiliation for the sole purpose of electing a candidate in that party if you are not in line with those parties beliefs?

I think America is headed down a long dark road. I also think America is resilient enough to rise above this and, through the proper channels, repair ourselves. I just don't know if loop holes are the way to go about it.

So, should I go ahead and register as a republican simply because i want Ron paul to make it to the general election where he will have the best chance to beat Hillary? Or do i stick to my principles and register as an Independent so i can most honestly represent my beliefs?

On the one hand, voters who change their party affiliations in time for their primaries could effectively add exposure to Paul for upcoming primaries in other states, and maybe even win states. On the other hand, we're doing the third party role a disservice by posing as republicans.

I just don't know. I am conservative in the terms that i believe in states rights, privatization of Education, no property or income tax. I do not agree with conservative social beliefs, as i am pro choice, i agree with decriminilization of marijuanna and prostitution. Perhaps i should register as a libertarian and call it a day.

But doesn't registering under a third party restrict my ability to make my voice heard in the primaries? It's not fair. It should be changed.

It's taxation without representation all over again, isn't it? I'm paying taxes, and yet i do not have an adequate representation of my beliefs. I can't express them via traditional voting methods.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
IMO in the US voting more about choosing a candidate rather then party. It is highly debatable that there are any real differences between the two party's. When you factor in that sometimes a candidate will change flags just to have more chance of getting elected you should know that the label next to there name means nothing.

If I was wrong then no one would entertain the though of RINO or DINO.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It's perfectly legal to change your party affiliation in order to vote in the primaries. I don't see any ethical problem with it either. A voter is not required to vote for his or her party's candidates and many people cross party lines in an election. I don't think either the Republican party or the independents would object to your support of Ron Paul in this way.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses. I kind of thought there would be more of a reaction to this issue, but i'm glad the two responses were good one's!

I don't necessarily think people would have a problem with changing your party affiliation. I mean, it's an option and it's not illegal, so it's clearly okay to do. I'm just torn on the idea because of how it would skew the numbers for the parties.

I think this nation is trapped in a two party system, however. Do we enable the limitations set forth by this two party system when we change our party affiliations to vote in a candidate you like who isn't in your party of choice? It serves the immediate purpose of course, but it doesn't lend any fairness to the independents. I think we need to keep our affiliations true to ourselves. The more independents who are registered as such will draw more attention, and maybe states will start to loosen up their primary rules. I would love to be able to select which primary i want to vote in if i'm an independent.

top topics

join