It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are “chemical imbalances” an excuse for mind control?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It took me two months to come off of Cymbalta and it wasn't pretty. Several times I became violent towards by boyfriend and I would have sudden dizzy spells where I almost fell down the apartment stairwell.

I came off of mine so slowly that during the last several weeks I was opening the capsules and dipping my finger in the granules so I could take a minimum amount to avoid "the dizzies". Eventually the side effects went away and I was able to stop the meds altogether.

I would never recommend anyone get on those nasty drugs. What makes me mad is that I had several doctors over several years prescribing my meds and not one of them ever told me to try changing my diet.

What I found out is that when you eat non-organic food and you use everyday mainstream products such as soaps, lotions, cosmetics and household cleaners.... the chemicals build up in your body and causes all sorts of illnesses in addition to depression because a lot of these chemicals cause neurological disorders.

Not only did I change my diet to all organic foods, but I replaced my soaps, lotions, makeup, toothpaste (without fluoride), dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent... EVERYTHING to either organic or eco-friendly products.

My dog eats organic food and the cat eats organic cat food. All of us are much healthier (even the vet was amazed at the improvement in my cat's health at 13 years old).

When I occasionally eat out in a restaurant (selecting normal so-called "healthy" food, not junk appetizers), that night I don't sleep well. I feel restless, my body aches all over, and I experience RLS. The only food I can eat is clean chemical-free foods. No refined sugar, no MSG, no aspartame, no artificial colors or flavors, no preservatives, no pesticides.

Now that I'm clean of that stuff, I wonder why anyone would want to eat it or give it to their kids. And this stuff affects kids differently. It makes them hyperactive. Does that ring a bell? Studies have already shown that taking ADHD kids off of chemical-laced foods and getting them on a healthy diet eliminates the ADHD symptoms.

To me, it's black and white. If you ingest rat poison, you're going to die or get sick. A lot of these chemicals are just as dangerous... why would you eat them or even touch them?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by akasha22
When you decide to go off medication the best thing to do is consult your Dr. & then slowly taper off, some people can do it in 2 weeks, others it takes longer.Also, I beleive its best to get anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds from a psychiatrist instead of a regular family Dr.--a friend of mine got on anti-depressants from her family Dr, who also had her on a bunch of other things for other problems & the mixture of it all made her sick & even more depressed. I think shes over-medicated--her Dr gives her a prescription for everything! I take 2 meds--thats it--other than a multi vitamin & aspirin when necessary. I enjoy talking with my shrink, we have a good rapport, but I hate going to the family/regular Dr---10 years ago I had surgery & they screwed it up, had to have 2 more surgeries after that & since then I get anxiety attacks just going into the hospital to visit someone (ptsd) & any sort of "examinations" really creep me out.

Time to try and find a new doctor!
Though, with the current state of things, I know that can be incredibly difficult. I too agree that a lot of primary care physicians tend to prescribe anti-depressants without really understand what all is involved. However, the problem with psychiatrists is they often see anti-depressants as the only way to treat depression (without any sort of psychotherapy to help too), so they're pretty quick to get out the prescription pad. I like the idea of a licensed mental health counselor (who cannot prescribe medication) in addition to a medical doctor to provide medication when necessary.

As far as the "mind control" aspect of psych meds, it could be a way to keep people like myself in the work-force-rat-race. Maybe keeps us in check, so we don't see or care whats going on behind the scenes, as was mentioned in an earlier post. Meds have sure helped to keep me in the rat race, even tho the rats are winning. But, they haven't made me quit questioning "authority" or want to find out whats really going on because even before meds I felt that somethings not right with the way things are.I get a bit obsessed at times, but in a good way. I think its when you just stop caring or being curious, then its probably time to get off the medication. Meds should improve your quality of life, not erase your emotions completely.

The reason I don't agree with the "mind control" aspect, which captainplanet has clarified somewhat, is that nobody forces you to take any of these medications. You go to the doctor because you have a problem, and anti-depressants are one of the possible ways to fix the problem and improve your quality of life. But, if you disagree with your doctor, you should seek a second opinion. If the doctor wants to prescribe you something that you don't want to take, then don't take it! Are there people who are taking medication for mental disorders that shouldn't? Absolutely. There are people who take *all* kinds of medication where they don't really need to.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

A lot of the additives in foods have been studied in depth and are believed to be reasonably safe. However, different people are affected in different ways, so you have to listen to your body above all else.

I prefer to buy organic foods when I can, but, it's not always possible. Sometimes organic versions aren't available, and sometimes I simply can't afford them. If I have to choose between going hungry and eating something with an artificial additive, I'm pretty much always going to choose the latter.

I don't have problems with most food additives, though artificial sweeteners (aspartame and sucralose) both make my stomach very, very upset. I can do saccharin for some reason without any problems, but the other two make me feel bad.

Anyway, yeah. I'm a big proponent of organic stuff! I think the fewer artificial things you have to ingest, the better. The reason most doctors aren't going to suggest that, though, is because mainstream science hasn't really shown that most of those additives cause problems. That's why it's good to listen to your own body in such cases.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It's all a state of mind.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think it works on both because for one you could have a problem but your mind in tune to a higher frequency which could allow for voices to be heard or have the feeling you are being mind read.

The worse thing is that athiest biology can not prove it and you will really never know the truth because that is when they stop believing and in turn convince it's not true. But in a way it's best to say it's not so that you do not harmonse your mind with the unknown because you just want to go down the rabbit Hole and get stuck.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Depression is an appropriate reaction to something that is no good for a person. It is utterly and totally counter-productive to label the depression itself as an illness or somethin to get rid of. Instead, the depression serves as an indicator of something else that needs to be changed. By supressing the depression or trying to fix the depression, be it by chemical means or otherwise, the state of depression is not being utilized to discover what one was meant to discover.

I am saddened and angered about how little people are taught about how mind/body works. Its like a child gets shot in front of you and you are expected to smile and be happy or just take some pills in order not to feel anything. In this instance a state of shock and rage or fear would be appropriate.

"You have a chemical imbalance" is therefore a statement that only touches the superficial surface of what needs to be adressed. Not the chemistry causes the depression, the depression causes the chemistry. And what causes the depression? Inappropriate action, thought, behaviour or environment. Remove or change one of those factors and the depression disappears.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
The worse thing is that athiest biology can not prove it and you will really never know the truth because that is when they stop believing and in turn convince it's not true. But in a way it's best to say it's not so that you do not harmonse your mind with the unknown because you just want to go down the rabbit Hole and get stuck.

Do you really, really want biology, medicine, etc., to go back to focusing on supernatural things for which there's no basis? You go to the doctor because you're sick, and instead of prescribing you an antibiotic for a bacterial infection, they send you to a priest because you must have "demons" in you?

If you want that, you're more than welcome to seek it out for yourself. I'd prefer to work with people who deal with facts instead of fantasy, however.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Depression is an appropriate reaction to something that is no good for a person. It is utterly and totally counter-productive to label the depression itself as an illness or somethin to get rid of. Instead, the depression serves as an indicator of something else that needs to be changed. By supressing the depression or trying to fix the depression, be it by chemical means or otherwise, the state of depression is not being utilized to discover what one was meant to discover.

In many cases, the state of depression is utilized to kill oneself. Perhaps it's to discover that they aren't supposed to live after all?

I am saddened and angered about how little people are taught about how mind/body works. Its like a child gets shot in front of you and you are expected to smile and be happy or just take some pills in order not to feel anything. In this instance a state of shock and rage or fear would be appropriate.

An educated physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or mental health counselor would obviously recognize the difference between an expected emotional response and a problematic one.

"You have a chemical imbalance" is therefore a statement that only touches the superficial surface of what needs to be adressed. Not the chemistry causes the depression, the depression causes the chemistry. And what causes the depression? Inappropriate action, thought, behaviour or environment. Remove or change one of those factors and the depression disappears.

As I've said to others in this thread, this sounds like something someone who hasn't dealt with chronic depression would say. It's akin to saying, "If you're depressed, just get over it!". People seek out medication to help them because they haven't been able to just "get over it", and rather than be miserable or kill themselves, they choose to seek professional help. Ideally this involves medication *and* therapy, but unfortunately there are doctors who will prescribe the medication without therapy. That's not the fault of the medication, but the fault of the doctor.

It's commonly accepted that chemical imbalances cause depression. If this wasn't the case, then correcting the imbalance wouldn't make the depression go away. But what causes the imbalance? It could be genetic, environmental, some other mental condition, etc. Medication can't change any of those things, but therapy can, and that's why I'd encourage people to pursue therapy alone *or* therapy + anti-depressants if they feel they need them. I don't think anyone should go on anti-depressants alone, but, for some people this is what fixes them to where they're comfortable and able to enjoy their lives.

Next we're going to be saying that when you get sick, it's because you sinned and God is punishing you.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by shoran

I must disagree with some of that. I may not be a doctor, but I have observed the behaviour of at least 3 people that were labelled to be depressed, among them my mother. Strangely, they all have certain patterns of thinking, talking and acting in common. All three hardly ever go outside into the sun and fresh air. All three constantly complain about everything (also before their depression). All three do not have inspiring goals. Coincidence? I think not. If I behave like I saw them behave would be in a dark state of mind and soul too.

But of course people like you will perpetuate the official party line of "hey, its not your fault, its chemical. Get some pharmaceuticals".

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I must disagree with some of that. I may not be a doctor, but I have observed the behaviour of at least 3 people that were labelled to be depressed, among them my mother. Strangely, they all have certain patterns of thinking, talking and acting in common. All three hardly ever go outside into the sun and fresh air. All three constantly complain about everything (also before their depression). All three do not have inspiring goals. Coincidence? I think not. If I behave like I saw them behave would be in a dark state of mind and soul too.

I have at least three people in my life who are the exact opposite, but still ended up being depressed. Honestly, I find that people who are out in the sun all the time, never complain about anything, and have "inspiring goals" to me quite annoying and fake. But, that's just me.

But of course people like you will perpetuate the official party line of "hey, its not your fault, its chemical. Get some pharmaceuticals".

Party line? First, wouldn't there have to be some sort of party to which one could belong? Secondly, I don't think depression is the fault of a person. At least, not directly, and there are many causes and reasons that people might be depressed. Because of that, I support therapy for those people as well as anti-depressants if they and their medical practitioners believe that's the best course of action. But, for some reason, I haven't been able to get it through some thick skulls that anti-depressants are not "evil" drugs, and that just because some might have bad experiences with them, doesn't mean everyone has or will.

But, you can continue to see demons where you will, label things as bad just because you disagree with their usage when nobody is asking you to use them, and ... whatever. Better yet, let's refuse to give any sort of treatment to depressed people. That way, they can "find themselves" and resolve it naturally, because obviously that's the best and only way to do it. Why, if those silly depressed people would just get over it, we wouldn't have a problem with them anymore and wouldn't need these evil medications that control their minds and make them do things they don't want to do! If they want to kill themselves, that's a natural feeling and they should be not only allowed but encouraged to see it through to its natural end.

It's amazing how many people propagate ignorance on a board where everyone seems to encourage others to deny ignorance.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by shoran

I think you need to get off your high horse. You consistently make assumptions and put words in people’s mouths and it can only come from your personal frustrations. You keep making up ridiculous stances for people and it distracts from their points, like a shady politician. Go to your doctor and get some chill pills or learn to make logical and respectful points. You seem inappropriately hostile. But, that’s just me.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Man, I'm surprised no one know this by now, but everyone is depressed.

That's right, we're all a bunch of unhappy chemically imbalanced walking futilities. What a damned shame.

But if you take their pills, you can be "better" again! After all, that's what all the commercials are there for right? They want to "help" you! they care!

Depression, ED, Anxiety, Restless leg syndrome (LOL!)

Whatever!

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe they are "depressed" because their job sucks, they are with a POS in a relationship going nowhere, or that their environment is not optimal? Of course not!

Just take the pills and shut up I tell ya!!!!!! You'll feel "better" int he morning.

wowzers!

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by captainplanet

You have touched on a very important issue. I am a holistic therapist that has been diagnosed Derpressed and Bi-Polar. I do not have any symptoms when I am in my home in the country. I have the symptoms in the city. I know I am a strong empath, most holistic practioners are, and I agree with you in regards to "we make ourselves sick". Why do the families that live in the county around the world not suffer from these symptoms? You got it. They do mot suffer from the "Chaos" factor. It has been proved by doctors that "Ulcers" are caused by excessive stomach acid that is produced by anger and stress. Just one little fact. People who live in cities are subject to the mass response of the environment. Polution, problems in family, work, etc. They give up their Personal Power. They become exausted and that starts the ball rollling. In steps the doctor with a myriad of pharmaceuticals to give you a "miracle cure". This is foriegn to the body and creates more problems. It is a vicious circle. I see it. I am returning to the country. I grow my own food and am in good health. My practice uses Reiki, accupuncture, massage, and magnetic therapy. Diet and exercise are included. Self decipline is a must. One hour of meditation, walking, yoga, are important to balance. Let go of the mental garbage.

Hope I helped a little. Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join