It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with advertising and education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
First of all advertising is making us want stupid and useless material wealth instead of pushing ourselves towards inner self awareness, i even belive that it is preventing the mass populace from thinking too much, every time i see a commercial i can see the techniques it uses to manipulate my friends and family and they are totally oblivious to what is being fed to them.

Second i am currently in grade 12 and i can see how flawed the school system is. They basically teach you how to get a job and function as a good slave in society. they make you go to university, and put the prices so high so that right when you start on your career your already in debt.

Its like einstein says "the only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

anyones oppinion is welcomed and encouraged, particularily if you totally disagree

oops i put this in the wrong category, i dont know how to switch it now

[edit on 21-11-2007 by tankthinker]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
First-There is nothing wrong with advertisement it is how people market their products. Maybe an insurance advertisement is not right for you but to the people who need it they will be interested.
Secondly-On the school subject I would have to totally agree with you. I graduated from high-school and waited 2 years to goto college. The materials that they taught in high-school were very different than those in college. They do not prepare you what so ever.
Thirdly-Why is this in the survival forum?

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
ya total accident i was looking at the survival thread and i wanted to make a new thread but didnt know it would go into this category.

with advertisement i didnt meant that they dont sell things that are somewhat good, im just saying its as if advertising makes people waste more money on things they do not need but are being told to buy, like the newest fad or video game console and when we spend more money on useless thing, we tend to need more money, so we work longer hours and are much more productive workers because we want the certain things that advertisement promises us they can give. For example i just saw a commercial for a type of butter, out of the whole 60 seconds it showed, the actual product being sold was shown for ten seconds, the rest of the time it was people laughing and having fun and enjoying life, while a voice talked about family and good health, they were selling the butter, but people buy the happiness that they think comes along with it, which the advertising agency has purposefully embeded into peoples minds

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
TankThinker...Toss the TV, best thing I ever did, Dont really know how long I've been without one, but it was around the time the football players started the stupid dances after every simple play(10+ years without). The TV shows that I have caught peaks of today are written for morons. Read a few of the daily papers, I get 1 local and 2 NYC ones(always interesting how the same story has a different slant to it).....College is overated, of part of a large family (7 kids) only one bro has 4 years of "higher learning", he use's none of it in his current job. We are all self employed, from a mid size delivery company in Tucson, to construction, and antique dealers in NY, we made our own way not needing to waste the years and money getting a piece of paper....Find what you love to do, and then find a way to make money at it....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I have to agree with both points! with advertising, especially subliminal advertising makes me quite angry (and it still happens in the US, at least). Obviously, i know companies want to sell units but i believe they go OTT in places, especially with kids whom will nag their parents into buying any old rubbish which they end u getting bored with within a few weeks.

And students, I have had friends go to uni whom had to borrow the money to study, then they get bombarded with credit card offers and most fall into the trap and get in even more debt. Of course, when you go uni the first year you just want to have fun and don’t really care about the consequences.
I personally didn’t go to uni and by the time I was 20 I was earning more than some of my friends whom had graduated with degrees. It took them a further 4/5 years to achieve the same salary. I believe that was down to them not having experience within the work place. Of course, its better to have a degree and experience but that’s not a reality for a fair few.

Heres another one of Albert E's quotes that sums things up
"The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career."

When i was at high school, if you werent kicking around in the latest £80 pair of nikes or didnt have the latest console you were looked down at as a tramp! that was more from the age of 12 onwards.

Material wealth, me me me me ME! Give me give me! i want, i need, i must have!

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
America is depressed.

We are taught that our "value" is related to how many monetary units we command.

For men, if you're rich, you're powerful, and sexy.

For women, if you're beautiful, you're important.

When the truth is that the measure of human beings' value is in what we offer each other as loving human beings.

The reason we are depressed is because in order to sell us anything, we first have to perceive that we "need" it. If people are secure in themselves and happy with the way things are, then they have no "needs".

You cannot sell something to someone who is secure. So you break them. You make them feel ashamed. You define their worth in something they do not have.

Then you offer it to them.

So you produce a race of people who chase after what you offer. Once you've done this, they are DEPENDENT on you. They will do anything you say to have your promises of happiness and security.

They are selling America an illusion.

We are told we're nobodies if we don't own shiny big cars, wear brand-name clothing, wheel & deal in big-money circles.

BULL-%#$@!

Holding a carrot in front of a donkey, you can get the donkey to chase after it indefinitely. If you ever let the donkey have the carrot, it stops moving.

If you want to control a population to work your will on the earth, you have to hold promises out in front of them forever. If you ever let them realize happiness, they stop doing your dirty work.

This is the scheming of parasites, who are too lazy to do the work themselves.

And they're creating an ugly world.

Don't fall for it! You don't need their things! Get independent, realize your own value. Don't be a part of the system!

All you have to do is change your mind to be free.

The more of us who do this, the more free this nation will become.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I agree with the schooling part. I don't want to get into too much of a rant, but now that I'm in my third year of college I can see that grades 1-8 were essentially pointless except for learning how to read/write and basic math. The rest is just memorizing pointless facts. Don't think that it's just the people who do poorly in the education who feel that way either... I graduated from high school with first class honours (85%+ average.)

If there was one thing I could go back in time and tell myself, it would be not to listen to the teachers and enjoy being a kid while I still could. All of their fear tatics... in grade 8 it was "In high school this won't fly, teachers have 4 different classes of students a day... if something is late, you get 0." It didn't turn out that way. In grade 12 they try to scare you with the same sort of line, "In college/university there are hundreds of people in each class, the teacher doesn't even know who you are. If you're late you get 0."

College may be the worst of them all. Since starting college I have become more lazy... I always used to wake up at 7 am even in my teens. Now I can hardly get out of bed in the morning and sleep until 9-ish on weekends. It literally sucks the life right out of you. Things are so slow-paced that I am actually losing (forgetting) a lot of the things I learned in high school.

It's not just the schools though, the whole system is a joke. People alway say "do what you love", but honestly how many people do you know that would be willing to do their job in their spare time for free? I'm thinking at least 80% of people are discontent with their job and only do it because they "have to." So you go to work on a crowded bus in complete silence, trying not to make eye contact with anyone. HUMANS ARE SOCIAL ANIMALS, WHY ARE WE DOING THIS TO OURSELVES? Then you either sit in an office, deal with idiots, or fix/make things in a 100% artificial environment, then you go home to eat and sleep with a few hours left over to do what you want... but the system has you so physically/mentally/emotionally drained and brain-numbed that you don't have anything.

Maybe it's just me. Even if it's not, no one likes change, and certainly not a radical change. People are content enough with how things are now that they won't bother trying to change things, because they have never known what real happiness is. Even though we KNOW we are slaves to the system, we're just going to sit here and take it. That's the sad part.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
today it seems to me that everyone uses credit cards which basically means they are paying for stuff with fake money, i dont think it will be long before money ceases to exist at all, just like before, with money you could trade it for gold. well not anymore. and just think if everything is on computers and credit cards then a mass computer crash could make everyones money just dissappear, its pretty sad.

top topics

join