It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

handgun?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Can anyone recommend a good handgun? I am thinking about buying one and just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on a good concealable gun. thanks

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
A firearm enthusiast's forum is likely a far better place to get a knowledgeable and experienced answer. Try Googling for one. Not to say that there might not be gun enthusiasts here, but I'm guessing a gun forum would net the most concentration of competent users. When you buy a gun, it's worth the extra effort for a bit of good advice.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

heaps of info in there

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If you are looking for something that is easy to conceal then there are a few guns I could recommend. Of course a lot of it depends on your budget. U2u me if you want and I will help you out.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solliz
If you are looking for something that is easy to conceal then there are a few guns I could recommend. Of course a lot of it depends on your budget. U2u me if you want and I will help you out.

Mind if I u2u also? I'm also shopping for a gun.
thanks,
desertfae

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
glock model 21 .45 cal. it will do all you could ever want to do with it and it extremely reliable. i have many wapons and as far a self defence goes you cant beat it it holds 13 230 grain rounds.

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hard to beat a good old Colt 1911 .45 in my humble opinion. There are several very good Colt clones as well, and I currently pack a Tauris PT-1911 which is very sweet. Flawlessly reliable and the top choice of the U.S. Special Forces, it's good enough for me. A 1911 is probably not the greatest choice for concealment with it's weight and 5 inch barrel, but it can be done.

[edit on 11/22/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I would have to say...Glock 26 9mm, its small, lightweight, holds 10 rds, and it wont jam on you. But like the post above you cant ever go wrong with a 1911.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yeah, 1911's are good if you want to stop Bull Elephants charging at you.
dont shoot me

One of the best sites I've found for gun related questions are the Armslocker Forums.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
Yeah, 1911's are good if you want to stop Bull Elephants charging at you.
dont shoot me

One of the best sites I've found for gun related questions are the Armslocker Forums.

Also the 1911 is really great if you simply want to be sure that what you are shooting at is stopped.

Like the time a reporter was interviewing a Texas Ranger.

Reporter: I understand, Sir, that you carry a .45. Why is that?
Ranger: 'Cause they don't make a .46 !!!

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Had a chance to do a memory nudge and it reminded me of tihs other Ranger story as Rangers relate to self defense.

A Ranger was at a formal dress affair in his tuxedo. He was sitting next to a gentleman at the dining table with his tuxedo jacket open. His model 1911 .45 cal was obvious to anyone looking.

The gentleman looked at the Ranger and said, "I see you are wearing your .45... You must be expecting trouble".

The Ranger responds, "No Sir, if I were expecting trouble I would be carrying my 12 gauge shotgun".

My above two entries are, in my old and still surviving opinion, verities on the subject of defense.

Basically, for right or wrong, as this is only a personal opinion... I like the idea of size for a self defense weapon. It's the same reason that I have a Corvette with a large engine, instead of something jazzy, Japanesey, and with a small, high winding, and relatively complicated motor thangy...

"There is no replacement for cubic displacement".

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Get the Glock of your choice. I carry a 35, not easy to conceal but a shoulder rig or long jacket, shirt will get the job done.

Roper

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by speeddemon

Springfield XD .45 or .40. Large caliber, high capacity, safety on trigger and on palm, no need to flip a safety so easy to use in an emergency. This is an extremely tough and accurate weapon.

I have a four inch .45 with 14 round capacity. They make them even shorter to carry concealed. I can put every round in the bullseye at 25 yards with no problem. At 10 yards you can point at a number on the target and I can shoot it out with one round. Love this handgun.

I'll test for my conceal carry soon before the Democrats take control of the Executive Branch and pass more anti-gun legislation that has been introduced by the House and Senate.

[edit on 23-11-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Sad that us Okies have to get a permit to carry weapons that the second amendment says we have the right to carry anyway. That Springfield looks like a good weapon. Still seems to be a basic .45 ACP, but with a 4 inch barrel.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The XD in the .45 is pretty cool. I've only known one guy that has one, and he got rid of it... I'm not sure why. Most of the folks I know carry a Glock or a standard variation of the .45 (Colt, Autoordnance, etc.) in standard steel build. BTW>>> For what it's worth I'm your neighbor in Missouri.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The XD was put through a torture test similar to the Glock.

XD torture test

One so-called 'Torture Test' was conducted in which an XD-9 was run over with a truck, frozen in a block of ice, caked with sand, and even stripped and degreased, firing nearly 20,000 rounds without a single malfunction in the process.

I'll also add this crazy guy put one in the chamber and threw it off of a cliff to see if it would break and or fire. It didn't fire and the only thing that happenned was the loaded chamber indicator broke off but that didn't prevent the gun from shooting again.

Oh and by the way, Howdy neighbors.

The 1911 is one of my all time favorites but I'll still have .45 ammo to shoot while a 1911 owner is reloading.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Never figured out why the XD didn't catch on out here... Truth to tell, I live in a rural area. Lots of 1911s of various make... Only that one XD that I knew of.

I'm thinkin' we're slow to adapt out here in the sticks.

I did shoot that XD, and truth to tell... I'd never put it down. Actually, in some ways it's prettier than my Autoordnance.

Just a thought though... Unless you are badly, badly outnumbered, and a crappy shot, 8 rounds will probably work for "most" law enforcement confrontations. Having said that, if I could get a few more rounds into my banger, I wouldn't say no.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Btw an interesting fact is that the XD is actually made in Croatia and the factory offers it as HS named variant... they are a bit cheaper and one local (Finnish) magazine tested those and got better results than XD (accuracy vice) and they are supposed to come from the same production line... go figure

Czech Alfa Combats are also very good budget guns, if you're into plastic... Alfa Proj

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

thats the gun I've really been looking at. thanks for the info. and thank you everyone for the replies.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by northwolf

Were they shooting freehand or on a rest? Same ammo also? Ammo accuracy can vary quite a bit but how you grip the gun and pull the trigger can affect the accuracy more than about anything. "Unless your blind and or suffer from seizures...) My old man thought his 1911 had a problem because it was shooting high to the right just about everytime. He shot the same gun from a sandbag with the same ammo and it was shooting spot on where it should be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join