It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Court Overturns Sex Offender Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Georgia Court Overturns Sex Offender Law

news.yahoo.com

ATLANTA - Georgia's top court overturned a state law Wednesday that banned registered sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of schools, churches and other areas where children congregate.

"It is apparent that there is no place in Georgia where a registered sex offender can live without being continually at risk of being ejected," read the unanimous opinion, written by presiding Justice Carol Hunstein.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I guess a pervert can move in across from a school and stand at his window with binoculars and ogle at the kids now. Study their movements, pick a target, or wank over the images he captures on his camera.

I think 1,000 feet is a reasonable distance to keep the children safe, and if the state can't provide a space for these people to live there is a huge hole in the system.

A first offense should be enough cause to remove you from society considering the rate of recidivism. Perhaps we need an island where they can live and diddle each other all they want.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Because all sex offenders are sub-human child molesters...

I look at the registry for my neighborhood and most of the offenders are teenage kids charged with statutory rape or something else involving a minor. Probably their girlfriend and the parents got a bug up their butt and called the cops. It happened to two friends of mine growing up.

Good for Georgia. Sex Offender registries are inhumane and unjust, and people condemned to them suffer a life as a second-class citizen.

REAL child molesters and REAL rapists should be in prison. If they are released on parole and have to register for the duration, fine. If their registration is a condition of probation, wonderful. But once they are free, they should be free.

The Sex Offender Registry is nothing more than a means to lock citizens in the system and permanently force subservience. Next is people convicted of drug related offenses. Then theft. Pretty soon the only people not on some sort of registry are those who haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Georgia cant possibly have that many schools....

Ever met someone from there?

I kid, I kid :p

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Lysergic]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Because all sex offenders are sub-human child molesters...

I look at the registry for my neighborhood and most of the offenders are teenage kids charged with statutory rape or something else involving a minor. Probably their girlfriend and the parents got a bug up their butt and called the cops. It happened to two friends of mine growing up.

Exactly. If you pay attention to this issue when it is advertised on the news or other media, they do not distinguish now between someone who maybe had questionable sex with an ex girlfriend who got back at him or a full fledged child molester.

Our news recently lumped all sex offenders into one basket and ran a segment on how they were going to allow them into the school precincts to vote on election day (which would have been during school hours). People miss the part that not all offenders are child molesters, but they are categorizing them all as such.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I think there should be different "rules" for different levels of sex offenders.

If a person who is a "sex offender" did not comitt a crime against a child - then there is no reason why they should have to stay away from a school.

With that logic....then a person who rapes an adult woman should be forbidden to go anywhere, where adult women go - like malls.

If a person comitts a sexual act against a child - they should never be allowed to walk the streets free - never again.

This topic (sex offenders) has been hashed out A LOT over on ATS recently....and I think most agree that the levels of a sex offender are what is important in what is done with them upon release.

As with most laws and punishments.....the laws and punisment of "sex offense" needs an overhaul

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Georgia cant possibly have that many schools....

Ever met someone from there?

I kid, I kid :p

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Lysergic]

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M FROM GEORGIA PRICK!!!!!

AND TO THINK, SOMEONE OF YOUR ILK DISGRACES THE MIGHTY TRENT BY USING HIS IMAGE!!!

:p

of course, I kid as well hehehe

In all seriousness, there are a BUTTLOAD of schools in Georgia haha.

Though, with this new law and my severe distaste for sex offenders (especially pedophiles and racists), I may end up in prison very soon.

If so, I love all you guys hahha

Jasn

new topics

top topics

join