It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel, the "newest" U.S. state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Israel, the "newest" U.S. state?

This is nothing new, that the U.S. helps Israel with arms and aid.

For a while, I was hearing lots how Israel actually controls the U.S., however after reading this Noam Chomsky article, it looks like perhaps the U.S. is the dominant one:

"Consider the U.S. reaction to Israel's conquest of the Sinai in 1956 and in 1967. In 1956, the U.S. strongly opposed that action. Eisenhower and Dulles were quite forthright and outspoken about it a few days before the presidential election, allegedly a time when political considerations are paramount. Political considerations aside, the U.S. openly compelled Israel to withdraw from the Sinai, not caring about its impact in the presidential election. In contrast, the U.S. supported Israel's conquest of the Sinai in 1967 and has been backing it since that time.

What was the difference between 1956 and 1967? In 1956, Israel was allied with France and England who were trying to reestablish some position of significance in the Middle East, believing still they had some role to play in regulating the affairs of the region. Since Israel was collaborating with rivals of the U.S. in the region, the conquest became illegitimate."

So, if anything assists the rivals of the U.S., it's illegal or 'not right'. When it helps the U.S., it's all good.

Now, growing up in Israel, we'd always hear about how much the U.S. was a friend and helping and caring about each Israeli citizen and they're right to freedom. However, reading further down this article:

"U.S. government support of Israel is more or less in accord with the American perception of Israel's strength. The stronger Israel becomes, the more it is able to assist the U.S. in maintaining control of the region, so the more the U.S. will support it. Though the pretense has always been that we're supporting Israel because it is in danger, the opposite would be a much more accurate statement. American support for Israel is contingent upon its strength and ability to aid in maintaining American domination of the Middle East."

"For one thing, the U.S. would rather not have Israel have its own internal resources. They want it to be dependent on the U.S. Furthermore, Israel is infringing on the interests of major American corporations in the case of the Gulf of Suez.

American oil companies are linked with Egyptian explorations and liftings and Israel is simply taking over part of the area that they regard as theirs. The thing is pretty small at the moment and it doesn't involve any major oil resources, so the U.S. isn't pressing very hard. But they've always described Israeli actions there as illegal and they simply reiterated it at this point. Of course, what "legality" means is what the big powers determine; it's another rhetorical term. To say that it's illegal is another way of saying, "We disapprove of it and, if we disapprove enough, we'll make you stop it."

Again, if Israel does something daddy doesn't like, they will be punished.

"There's a tremendous economic drain into military expenditures and that's only going to increase. Furthermore, a commitment to military production is becoming a larger and larger element in the Israeli economy, both internally and for export, and the tie with the U.S. is a strong part of that. This drain of resources in the military means that they can't face internal social problems"

Israel's military occupation is taking resources away from social problems. (Sounds like the U.S.) I am so sick of the people who are in charge, whether they're America and Israeli and Zionist... So now it's not enough to mess up its own country, but others as well. People need to wake up!

"Those two positions differ only on this issue, as far as I can see, on the issue of how to control the Arab population centers. The "extremists" would accord the Palestinians technical legal rights, which would give rise to the famous demographic problem. The Allon would keep them in a sort of Transkei, which would "avoid" the demographic problem.

The third, the real dovish view, the one that Moked holds, is that they ought to simply abandon the occupied territory and have a peaceful settlement with the Palestinian state. That appeals to a very small sector of opinion, which is not surprising. I can think of no historical example where a country has been willing to abandon territory it conquered. Often that has led to destruction. Over and over in history that has happened, but nobody ever learns from it, and the next time around... "

The least popular view is the most important one. Why can't we live in Peace with them? Fear, that's why, from lies lies and more lies. Lies from the government, from family, from the media, all designed to keep this going...

I remember growing up hearing stuff like 'kill all those Arabs' and 'they're filthy animals'... funny, but I still don't believe it. If someone is an @#%@#$ then it's because that's how they were brought up, not because of what country they're from..

Here's the link to the document.
Source

Thank you for reading.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by quintar]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
...onto some stats between the 51st state and the U.S. here:

Benefits to Israel of U.S. Aid -- Since 1949 (as of 11/1997)
Foreign Aid Grants and Loans $74 billion
Other U.S. Aid (12.2% of Foreign Aid) $9b
Interest to Israel from Advanced Payments $1.6b
Grand Total $84.8b
Total Benefits per Israeli $14,630
Cost to U.S. Taxpayers Grand Total $84.8b
Interest Costs Borne by U.S. $49.9b
Total Cost to U.S. Taxpayers $134.7b
Total Taxpayer Cost per Israeli $23,240

Obviously, the U.S. is getting ripped off.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I agree that U.S. taxpayers are being ripped off, but at the same time, ask yourself why would the U.S. give so much aid to Israel?

I look at this as as investment:

possible conversation U.S. having with Israel:

U.S.:
We help you out, and you owe us. So if we want you to start a war with a country that isn't up to par on our cool list, you're in debt to us.

Israel:
fine, I suppose we'll have to spread lots of propaganda so the public will keep supporting this 'war on terror'.

I am not defending or attacking either countries. I was born in Israel.
I just noticed how passionate people are about their country, but that passion can blind them as well. I realize that now.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by quintar
I agree that U.S. taxpayers are being ripped off, but at the same time, ask yourself why would the U.S. give so much aid to Israel?

Duh. The U.S. has many Jewish immigrants, many of whom have found the U.S. a good place to become successful in business and politics. American Jewish people -- with the support of many non-Jewish people --have used that political and economic power to encourage U.S. foreign policy toward being very pro-Israel. As a result, Israel provides support for U.S. efforts to monitor the strategic situation in the Middle East.

What's so difficult to understand about that? The U.S. has business and military concerns worldwide. Call it a "conspiracy" if you want, but it's just the way business is done anywhere. The U.S. has similar arrangements with a lot of different countries, including many in East Asia. It's no big mystery.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Nohup]

top topics

join