It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Civil liberties: casualty of the 'war on terrorism'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The U.K seems to be following the U.S government in it's continuing assualts against civil liberties with new anti-terrorism laws that seek to allow people to charged before committing a crime!

Trials of UK citizens suspected of terrorism offences could take place in secret in front of security-vetted judges. The defendants would be represented by specially-appointed lawyers, who would not be able to disclose the details of sensitive evidence to anyone else.

The burden of proof could be lowered so that it would be enough for a judge to be satisfied on the "balance of probabilities" that a suspect was guilty, rather than being satisfied "beyond all reasonable doubt", as is the case now

Slowly our rights are being dissolved under the guise of the 'war on terror' which, as of yet, cannot be justified to be helping anything. The government in the U.K and U.S should be looking to their foreign policy instead of taking away our rights for their bull# wars for oil and power.

Maybe in another 5 years ATS will classed as terrorist prophiganda and we will all be arrested. Then we will look back to when we could have tried to stop these people from taking away our rights.

Links:
news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...
[url]

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by earthtone]

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

Slowly our rights are being dissolved under the guise of the 'war on terror' which, as of yet, cannot be justified to be helping anything. The government in the U.K and U.S should be looking to their foreign policy instead of taking away our rights for their bull# wars for oil and power.

Maybe in another 5 years ATS will classed as terrorist prophiganda and we will all be arrested. Then we will look back to when we could have tried to stop these people from taking away our rights.

Sucks doesn't it. Ive been telling people this since the war began. Civil Rights are slowly dissapearing. People will realize it too late to do anything about it. I think it's about time for a second civil rights movement in the US.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If the UK governemnt didnt have all this imigrents first (Im not saying they are terrorists but Britain just promotes it and gives out free money to people from other countries and makes the people who live there already pay for it through tax then skrews up on public services ect) and pathetic laws that dont work with eachother and rights we would be in a better place

That hook guy who goes around saying how much he hates the western world but wont be thrown out cos its racist or freedom of speach (he also gets armed guard and security paid through by tax payers)

If Britain really cared about "The war on terroism" they wouldnt let people who publicy prase people like Bin Laden and allow them to say how much terroist attacks are glorified and right) yet they do

But if i say something about how much i hate other civilisations i would be arested/made to look bad for it

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by Crash]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crash

if That hook guy who goes around saying how much he hates the western world but wont be thrown out cos its racist or freedom of speach (he also gets armed guard and security paid through by tax payers)

If Britain really cared about "The war on terroism" they wouldnt let people who publicy prase people like Bin Laden and allow them to say how much terroist attacks are glorified and right) yet they do

But if i say something about how much i hate other civilisations i would be arested/made to look bad for it

Yeh but you cannot take away freedom of speach. I agree that Britain has stupid laws, but immigrationn laws in the U.K are hardly leinient. I think the world shouldn't be bordered off and seperated anyway.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I would consider being able to turn up at the gates of a country, say the words 'political asylum', then be given a place to live and money while my case takes up to 3 years to be looked into, pretty lenient.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
What can we do?

If we impose harsh restriction, the civil liberties groups go into overdrive. If we a re too "soft", the tabloid papers cook up a whole raft of stories to scare the public that immigrants are the root of all evil.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crash
If the UK governemnt didnt have all this imigrents first (Im not saying they are terrorists but Britain just promotes it and gives out free money to people from other countries and makes the people who live there already pay for it through tax then skrews up on public services ect) and pathetic laws that dont work with eachother and rights we would be in a better place

That hook guy who goes around saying how much he hates the western world but wont be thrown out cos its racist or freedom of speach (he also gets armed guard and security paid through by tax payers)

Quite right - all institutions in the UK are now strait-jacketed by a sort of Orwellian political correctness.

Any politician who even questions immigration policy is immediately portrayed as some sort of fringe lunatic by Blair's henchmen and by the left-wing BBC.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrisjohns

Quite right - all institutions in the UK are now strait-jacketed by a sort of Orwellian political correctness.

Any politician who even questions immigration policy is immediately portrayed as some sort of fringe lunatic by Blair's henchmen and by the left-wing BBC.

Left wing BBC? I don't know what planet you are on, but even if you are right it's a good thing from my perspective. Political correctness is important.

originaly posted by SabbyJ

I would consider being able to turn up at the gates of a country, say the words 'political asylum', then be given a place to live and money while my case takes up to 3 years to be looked into, pretty lenient.

Damn right it should be! And you know that is not at all what it is like for a large amount of immigrants. We should be a country that accepts people who want to come here for help and we shouldn't block our borders from anyone.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
With all this anti-terror legislation and movements anyone would think that the UK is the most dangerous place in the world to live.

Is the UK really in that much peril and that dangerous to live in that we need all this so called "protection"?

I suppose the same arguement could be extended to the USA?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theferret

Is the UK really in that much peril and that dangerous to live in that we need all this so called "protection"?

I suppose the same arguement could be extended to the USA?

Well, you see, this is where we put our faith in our leaders. However, as history will support, we know that we can not always trust those in charge at all. I do not beleive the threat from al quida is as great as they tell, they have to keep the fear up. Though after our actions in the middle east we are at a great threat from many who now hate the UK and USA even more.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The immigration problem in the uk is all about creating racial tension , membership of the BNP has tripled and is increasing at an alarming rate, british nationals cant help but feel hatred when they see people entering the county and be given homes money and jobs when they have been waiting for larger homes and better jobs and paying taxes for years etc, it all boils down to providing the solution which is id cards and drastic cuts in civil liberties. The Coup D'etat is taking place right under our noses, its a smaller version of what is taking place in the USA at the moment , only there they have to figure out how to unarm a heavily armed population, people in britain are very laid back and put up with lots of # without ever complaining but now is the time to take no more and protest at every move towards this nightmare scenario. The war on terrorism is a phoney media war nothing more , its like a hollywood movie being played out in front of youre eyes. In fact attacking Iraq has increased the threat in creating a breeding ground for anti western sentiment. Dont tust anything that comes from Al-Jezera tv station if the yanks wanted they could shut them up anytime , like they did years ago when bin laden wanted to promote propaganda , it suits the us to keep the threats coming and clamping down more on the population. Bin laden is a multi billion dollar industry thats why he will never be found alive , even if he still is
which i doubt.

top topics

join