It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's nuclear forces placed on alert

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Russia's nuclear forces placed on alert

www.timesonline.co.uk

Tony Halpin in Moscow

President Putin accused Nato yesterday of threatening Russia’s security and ordered the military to place the country’s strategic nuclear arsenal on a higher state of alert.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I hope this isn't 1983 all over again. We need to stear clear of Russia and make sure we are working together and communicating or we will see 1983 again or worse.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What happening in 1983? I would have thought it couldn't get much worse than 1962. Over a dozen nuclear-release incidents in 14 days!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
What happening in 1983? I would have thought it couldn't get much worse than 1962. Over a dozen nuclear-release incidents in 14 days!

Well World War 3 almost broke out and NATO had no idea how close we had came. The events are what helped end the Cold War and set up dialogue between us and the USSR. It was so close the Russians had their pilots in their bombers parked next to the run ways and forces in battle positions in Eastern Europe.

There was a major NATO exercise going on in which National Leaders were participating. All of the communications and Reagan's sabre rattling had the Soviets thinking NATO was going to attack during the NATO exercise. NATO had no idea since there was no dialogue with the USSR at the time. The US invasion of Grenada and tightening of security at US bases after the Beirut bombings convinced the Soviets there was a real threat. The NATO exercise ended on Nov 7 which marked the anniversary of the October Revolution in the USSR. The exercise was supposed to end with a fictional nuclear assault on the USSR which would have been authorized by Reagan. At the last minute Reagan withdrew participation from the wargame. Had he sent the order to launch, the Soviets most likely would of launched bombers and ICBMs. When Reagan and the CIA later found out how close we had came he opened up direct dialogue with Gorbachev leading to the end of the Cold War.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here you can read all about the 1983 mess from the CIA:

www.cia.gov...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Very interesting, can you provide some background links, never heard of this before.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Very interesting, can you provide some background links, never heard of this before.

Check out the declassified CIA publication link I provided above. It covers the whole mess in pretty good depth.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Funny guy. He suspends arms and threat reduction treaties, plays energy and political terrorism both at home and abroad, undermines US, NATO and EU efforts both militarily, financially and politically. Undermines democracy in Russia, works to create an anti Western group (area of influence) all the while he increases military posture and capability both domestically and abroad. Now he has the brass ones to blanked NATO activity as a threat and place his nuclear force on "high alert"? Some B this guy has. I say NATO return the favor, what's he going to do, got to war with a Europe-US alliance, don't think so.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

I guess we can go ahead and say it. The break from the Cold War is over. Maybe with the oil prices, dollar devaluation, wars and credit crisis Russia expects some kind of advantage.

[edit on 20/11/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Funny guy. He suspends arms and threat reduction treaties, plays energy and political terrorism both at home and abroad, undermines US, NATO and EU efforts both militarily, financially and politically. Undermines democracy in Russia, works to create an anti Western group (area of influence) all the while he increases military posture and capability both domestically and abroad. Now he has the brass ones to blanked NATO activity as a threat and place his nuclear force on "high alert"? Some B this guy has. I say NATO return the favor, what's he going to do, got to war with a Europe-US alliance, don't think so.

...just about every line in this text is a lie. First things first: NATO has surrounded Russia with military bases. Virtually every bordering state with Russia has nuclear arsenal ready to destroy ... whom? NATO says - islamic militants in Iran etc...but Russians cannot trust NATO...nobody can.

If Russia had allies around US and built nuclear missile bases around US, would you want US government to do nothing?

What is really happening is that the rulers of the world are preparing a WWIII to destroy US, Russia, EU. Maybe they will also involve China and India, since they are pumping money into them right now...there has to be a reason.

It is too obvious. Just keep this in mind and follow daily news for a week. It is really too obvious.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I believe every bit of this is for Domestic Consumption. The old style Soviet Monster is not coming back just for his benefit. The old Union fell because they made the mistake of educating the masses more than anything else. Russia's purse strings are still pretty tight to boot. He has the additional problem of facing the Countries who freed themselves from Soviet Tyranny who are not to interested in going back under Russia's thumb, I don't believe.

I don't think it is even certain that he has the control to order a Nuclear Attack on what amounts to the entire rest of the Industrialized World. I would not panic yet. I doubt NATO is all that intimidated by it.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Neither had I, pavil. But I still don't think it matches how close to the brink we came in the 1962 Cuban missile crisis. There was one point during the crisis when the only thing that stopped a Russian submarine launching a nuclear-tipped torpedo at a fleet of American destroyers was the courage of one man standing up to his captain.
It also happened twice that NORAD thought a nuclear attack had been launched on the United States - with computer screens tracking missiles and all - because of false reports from its tracking stations. The only thing that save this planet was hesitation and quick communications.

United States aircraft were shot down during the crisis, and the majority of the Executive Committee that oversaw the management of the situation wanted to launch a strike on the Russian military in Cuba. It was only President Kennedy and his brother that saved us there.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Thanks for the links, you must have posted it while I was in " new post limbo". Looks like some good reading.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I wonder if they send out fighters to their borders cause yesterday the Finnish air force was very active. Could be that it was NATO though, they skim around our border all the time too.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Anybody else bored with the world leaders baring teeth, barking at each other and marking territory like animals rather then using sophisticated diplomacy, understanding and support like governments of the world should be doing?

I’ve seen kids do better at arguing over who lost a marble match in the school playground…

Can anybody explain to me what good it would do to state that you are putting one of the biggest nuclear arsenals on the planet on high alert for other then to see who else will bristle in retaliation?

I just hope that this is just more provocation and nobody does anything stupid so in the future a new generation of leaders can work past this p*ssing contest.

cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I think that there were some pre planned exercises going on for the FAF F-18s, night flying and such...

Westpoint,
Do you really think that Russia is "Terrorizing" its neighbours, by asking them to follow the same treaties as Russia does and by demanding a fair price for the energy thei provide? If so why wont the USA give free oil to Mexico as that's what Russia was doing ot Belarus and Ukraine...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I say NATO return the favor, what's he going to do, got to war with a Europe-US alliance, don't think so.

You are right, but Russia, China, N. Korea, Iran, and whoever else wants to defeat western influence might throw off the balance. Clearly, we couldn't engage all of these countries even with the help of our allies.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I wonder if they send out fighters to their borders cause yesterday the Finnish air force was very active. Could be that it was NATO though, they skim around our border all the time too.

Funny you mention increased air force activity, I have noticed a lot of jets flying over Plymouth over the past few days - I've not bothered to look for them, but I'm very familiar with all regular aircraft round here and can identify them by ear. As I'm typing I can hear them again - most likely Tornado's, occasionally they pass through to on training, but not several times every day.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Funny you mention increased air force activity, I have noticed a lot of jets flying over Plymouth over the past few days - I've not bothered to look for them, but I'm very familiar with all regular aircraft round here and can identify them by ear. As I'm typing I can hear them again - most likely Tornado's, occasionally they pass through to on training, but not several times every day.

Been a little more than usual up here in South Cumbria. Had Tornados and I think a GR9 Harrier go past the house (we're on a hill near the mountains so they fly low - it's fantastic to see!) in the past couple of days. There was a Typhoon as well last week but pretty much nothing before that and another Typhoon sighting early this year.

Probably just exercises but I thought I'd jump on with my sightings.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Can you blame him? If I were the president of Russia I would say the same thing. Its total b/s what the US is doing, and it is total "muscle-flexing". Shoot, if I were in Putty boys place I probably would have already nuked the MoFo's.

Good post man...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join