It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pegasus Document Release #002

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
SOAR: Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor

Some of the related documents are not available in public domain...

Fusion Technology Institute
University of Wisconsin, Madison

January 1987....

PDF FILE
fti.neep.wisc.edu...

More papers...

UWFDM-753 Critical Issues for SOAR: The Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor; J.F. Santarius, G.L. Kulcinski, L.A. El-Guebaly, G.A. Emmert, H. Khater, Z. Musicki, M.E. Sawan, I.N. Sviatoslavsky, W.F. Vogelsang, P.L. Walstrom, L.J. Wittenberg, January 1988 (revised August 1988) [Presented at Fifth Symposium on Space Nuclear Power Systems, Albuquerque, NM, 11-14 January 1988; Space Nuclear Power Systems 1988 (Orbit, Malabar FL, 1989) 161]. (24 pages, 2.2 MB)

UWFDM-722 SOAR: Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor; G.L. Kulcinski, J.F. Santarius, H.M. Attaya, M.L. Corradini, L.A. El-Guebaly, G.A. Emmert, J.W. Johnson, T.E. Luzzi, C.W. Maynard, M.E. Sawan, I.N. Sviatoslavsky, W.F. Vogelsang, P.L. Walstrom, L.J. Wittenberg, September 1987. (57 pages, 4.0 MB)

UWFDM-717 SOAR: Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor; J.F. Santarius, G.L. Kulcinski, H. Attaya, M.L. Corradini, L.A. El-Guebaly, G.A. Emmert, J.W. Johnson, C.W. Maynard, M.E. Sawan, I.N. Sviatoslavsky, W.F. Vogelsang, P.L. Walstrom, L.J. Wittenberg, and T.E. Luzzi, January 1987 [Presented at 4th Symposium on Space Nuclear Power Systems, Albuquerque, NM, 12-16 January 1987; Space Nuclear Power Systems 1987 (Orbit, Malabar FL, 1988) 167]. (40 pages, 1.6 MB)

UWFDM-635 SOAR - Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Reactor; Fusion Reactor Design Group, March 1985 [NOT FOR GENERAL RELEASE].

fti.neep.wisc.edu...

SOAR: Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor. Final report, October 1986-January 1987

Energy Citations Database

Country of Publication United States
Language English
Format Pages: 57
Availability NTIS, PC A04/MF A01.
System Entry Date 2001 May 13

Abstract

The preconceptual design of a Space Orbiting Advanced Fusion Power Reactor (SOAR), which delivers up to 1000 MWe for at least 600 s from an orbited mass of about 500 tonnes, was accomplished.^The power is produced by a magnetically confined D-3He plasma.^Approximately 96% of the fusion energy is in charged particles, and a direct converter has been designed which converts much of this energy into electricity at high net efficiency (about 80%).^An advanced shield design allows SOAR to deliver approximately 2 kilowatts of electricity for every kilogram of material orbited.^The shield is designed to absorb all rejected heat during operation, and no active radiator is required.^The SOAR reactor concept is designed to allow rapid startup and shutdown procedures.^The lack of radioactivity on launch and the low radioactive inventory after operation make the SOAR concept attractive from maintenance, safety and environmental perspectives.^The plasma physics approach extrapolates from the present plasma physics and fusion technology knowledge base using concepts which can be tested on existing or near-term devices.^The symbiosis of burst mode requirements, D-3He tandem mirror fusion reactor characteristics, and the space environment leads to a very high performance design concept.

Subject 220800 -- Nuclear Reactor Technology-- Propulsion Reactors ;700200 -- Fusion Energy-- Fusion Power Plant Technology; SPACE PROPULSION REACTORS-- FEASIBILITY STUDIES;SPACECRAFT POWER SUPPLIES;TMR REACTORS-- SPACECRAFT POWER SUPPLIES; CHARGED PARTICLES;DEUTERIUM;EFFICIENCY;HELIUM;HELIUM 3;LAUNCHING;MAGNETIC MIRRORS;PROGRESS REPORT;PROTONS;RADIOACTIVITY

Related Subject BARYONS;DOCUMENT TYPES;ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT;ELEMENTARY PARTICLES;ELEMENTS;EQUIPMENT;EVEN-ODD NUCLEI;FERMIONS;FLUIDS;GASES;HADRONS;HELIUM ISOTOPES;HYDROGEN ISOTOPES;ISOTOPES;LIGHT NUCLEI;MAGNETIC MIRROR TYPE REACTORS;MOBILE REACTORS;NONMETALS;NUCLEI;NUCLEONS;ODD-ODD NUCLEI;OPEN PLASMA DEVICES;POWER REACTORS;POWER SUPPLIES;PROPULSION REACTORS;RARE GASES;REACTORS;SPACE POWER REACTORS;STABLE ISOTOPES;THERMONUCLEAR DEVICES;THERMONUCLEAR REACTORS

www.osti.gov...

[edit on 20-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Too bad that according to John Lear, this gizmo won't work on the Moon...
Shame...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch

I hope this gives you the idea of what the research that this thread mentions turned into once it was figured out. I also will say that they have made this reactor very small and very efficient. They mention a trip to Mars, that includes plenty of time on the surface, and a craft using one of these reactors in one of these links.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by WorldShadow
From nj mooch link wisc.edu there is a MARS (Mirror Advance Research Study) diagram showing how the ying yangs were implemented. Here is the Link

Originally posted by NJ Mooch

I still have no clue as to what the latest tech is, but this stuff is really cool if you ask me. I am glad you posted the Mars info since that was one of the items that caught my eye.

Worldshadow, that is a great link to show what this would look like in real life. Thank you for posting that.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Haven't you derailed enough threads with your witch hunt and stalking of John? Give it a rest will ya?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Dear Z,

I hoped to get a straight answer from you and instead all I get is vitriol! You know quite well that I stayed on the topic of the threads in which I participated, and contributed to the analysis and understanding of the docking procedures of the ISS and Space Shuttle, easy yet instructive calculations of lunar gravity etc.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is another great post and you can clearly see the lineage from the subject matter in the rainbow conspiracy thread, looks like a double set of ying yangs are in use here.

I think you are doing this on pupose to use up my stars lol.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Z, you are probably already aware of this, but you can find more fascinating info about fusion reaction at www.iter.org. This is a reactor being built in France and will be twice the the size of St Paul's Cathedral, London.

It is interesting as it mentions mining the moon for helium3.

Oh and by the way the project is funded by several countries including Japan and China. Have they not just launched moon missions ?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pippadee

Thanks for the info Pippa.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pippadee
Z, you are probably already aware of this, but you can find more fascinating info about fusion reaction at ...

Thanks pippadee... nice to see others paying attention

So far the Japanese have been less then stellar with showing us the moon... You might also want to look past the photo issue and check out WHAT is all on those ships.. As NJ Mooch put it... they seem more like spy satellites then exploration... so just who or what are they spying on?

Lots more fusion stuff coming... along with implications on what they have done with it so far

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I have a question for you Z. If we have a fusion reactor why keep it from the genreal public? Wouldn't it solve the worlds energy needs?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JadePhoenix

Solving problems is not in the best interest of our world governments. Remember the adage "Idle hands are the devils playground'?

All governments exert control. Some do it overtly, some covertly. The US is more covert, but we are controlled completely by our government. The news we see, the food we eat, the policies we support...they are all choreographed to create a common reality among our populace. Our freedom is illusory (try "dropping out" of the US economic engine...it will not be painless). We are controlled by our greed and desire for more (watch the footage of the Black Friday shopping...people act like lunatics so that they can get more electronic crap to give away).

Much of the western world uses greed as its primary control mechanism. If we "fixed" the energy problems it would not only remove much of the economic pressure keep greed aloft, but it would also remove a galvinizing force from the western culture. Nothing will spur action (as directed by our fearless leaders) quicker than the fear of not being able to keep up with the jones's.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JadePhoenix
I have a question for you Z. If we have a fusion reactor why keep it from the genreal public? Wouldn't it solve the worlds energy needs?

If you are referring to the document linked to by Mr.Z, it is clearly stated that the project is an extrapolation of known principles. If you read further, there are many hurdles to overcome and lots of know-how to acquire before such project is viable. As such, it's not different from other fusion energy projects. The physics principles have been known for some time; it's there application that is the real challenge. So, in short -- we will have fusion energy, for sure. Just not yet!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Greetings Buddhasystem

If you are referring to the document linked to by Mr.Z, it is clearly stated that the project is an extrapolation of known principles. If you read further, there are many hurdles to overcome and lots of know-how to acquire before such project is viable. As such, it's not different from other fusion energy projects. The physics principles have been known for some time; it's there application that is the real challenge. So, in short -- we will have fusion energy, for sure. Just not yet!

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I must have over looked that part.

Greetings Bigfatfurrytexan

All governments exert control. Some do it overtly, some covertly. The US is more covert, but we are controlled completely by our government. The news we see, the food we eat, the policies we support...they are all choreographed to create a common reality among our populace. Our freedom is illusory (try "dropping out" of the US economic engine...it will not be painless). We are controlled by our greed and desire for more (watch the footage of the Black Friday shopping...people act like lunatics so that they can get more electronic crap to give away).

Good point

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This promises to be a great solar runner. A rotating ring can simulate gravity for the astronauts and its placement in the magnetic field will aid in shielding from radiation. The ring should adjust along the length of the fuselage, keeping the variables for canter of mass (M), aerodynamic focus (A), and focus of propelling forces (F) in equilibrium. This will result in superior performance for agility and accuracy.

It really is for travelers who are not interested in getting there at breakneck speed for whatever reason. It would be a great platform to study side effects of contamination, social interaction, do psychological studies, run some experiments, and maybe even have a few space-babies!

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

I'd be first in line if I we ever get to the point of having a space station where the general public could visit.

new topics

top topics

join