It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Pays to be a Politician......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I found these facts to be upsetting, since most people that are working hard in the USA are not making anything near what most of these do nothing politicians are.

Wouldn't it be nice to know you will get $3 to $5 million when you retire, plus medical and whatever you have in your campaign warchest?

Politicians Get Millions in Pensions

Those public servants of the United States are always certain to take care of themselves, and their pension funds show they aren't shy in collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars each in annual pensions paid for by - yep, you've got it right - your tax dollars.

- Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle's 26-year political career ended with defeat in the November elections, but he did take home a consolation prize: a pension that in its first year will total $121,233. The 57-year old South Dakotan will receive about $5 million in pension benefits over his expected lifetime for his service in the House and Senate, according to the National Taxpayers Union.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would like to see more stats and facts if anyone finds more.

Thanks RT

[edit on 20-11-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This has always been a problem in this country.. They sit in their ivory towers and pretend to care about the masses below when the fact is, they are so removed from the masses, they couldn't possibly genuinely care...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Very true.

I've always though that we should switch the pay of politicians to a performance based system.

Every quarter or so often there would be a poll of approval from the constituents, and their pay would be based of that.

10% approval rating? You're getting a really crappy paycheck.

80 % approval rating? Say hello to the money you deserve.

This would really encourage all policy makers to really listen to the public and push bills and reform to really help the people, not just themselves. After all, what incentive have they to listen and work hard if they get the same pay either way?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Very true.

I've always though that we should switch the pay of politicians to a performance based system.

Every quarter or so often there would be a poll of approval from the constituents, and their pay would be based of that.

10% approval rating? You're getting a really crappy paycheck.

80 % approval rating? Say hello to the money you deserve.

This would really encourage all policy makers to really listen to the public and push bills and reform to really help the people, not just themselves. After all, what incentive have they to listen and work hard if they get the same pay either way?

LOL! Your making to much damn sense.

A paycheck based on performance?

Most politicians would be supplementing their income with food stamps if that was the case.

I would love to see that, because that is how the rest of us earn our money based on performance.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Most politicians would be supplementing their income with food stamps if that was the case.
[edit on 21-11-2007 by Realtruth]

And they would have nobody to blame but themselves if that was the case. I think it would be the only fair way to pay our leaders.

We elect them to lead us and to create and implement policy to better us and further our societies and planet. If they don't do what he hire them to do, why should they be paid?

It's really quite simple.

new topics

top topics

join