It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet gridlock by 2010 study warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Internet gridlock by 2010 study warns

news.bbc.co.uk

Consumer demand for bandwidth could see the internet running out of capacity as early as 2010, a new study warns. US analyst firm Nemertes Research predicted a drastic slowdown as the network struggles to cope with the amount of data being carried on it.

Such gridlock wouldn drastically affect how people use the web and could mean the next Google or YouTube simply doesn't get off the ground, it said. The report said billions needed to be spent upgrading broadband networks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.N. Internet Panel: U.S. Has Too Much Control
The Internet in a Paragraph (w/ usage world stats)
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I've been trying to warn people about this for months now. Some threads of recent, "internet paragraph & usage" as well as, "U.S. control/U.N. debate" one. The BTS is the "headed for meltdown" topic. This story seems similar; threats of going back to dial-up speeds.... that's not much money when the U.S. debt is in the trillions.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Nearly 75% of US internet users watched an average of 158 minutes of online video and viewed more than 8.3bn video streams during May, according to research by measurement firm comScore.

The financial invested required to "bridge the gap" between demand and capacity would range from $42bn (£20bn) to $55bn (£27bn) in the US, Nemertes estimates.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by anhinga]

apc

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Capitalism will solve this. As service providers start to reduce the bandwidth to their customers, whichever providers actually take the initiative and invest in upgrading the backbones will preserve their customer base and succeed.

This applies towards both host and user service providers.

People can start to make an impact today. These providers we've heard about that are killing users who download too much despite their "unlimited" bandwidth. Stop doing business with them, and support providers who do not betray their customers.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Horse SHit,

they just want two sell you on internet 2, its better faster and cost more, ohh yea you will need approval to post anything, and there will be no freedom of speech.

You all get what you deserve

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chicagofreedomfighter

Agreed 100%

Problem, reaction, solution

Problem: Internet gridlock
Reaction: People demand more efficient Internet to prevent economic and social collapse
Solution: Internet 2

Think of how much money the Internet generates. Think of how much money ISP's make, compared to how much it really costs them to maintain their bandwidth.

Yet we can't avoid a gridlock?

I smell BS.

I mean, if this were truly a problem and a threat, we aren't helping by posting and discussing it. We're only using up more bandwidth.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
HA! Sounds like another Y2K SCAM to me!!

See this things come and go, and this companies already have projectons and analyst and people on the payroll that would alert them of this type of stuff, but not 2 years out.

SCAM!

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have to admit it does seem quiet a load of BS,
plus no one can or is control of the Internet, its simply impossible.
Google alone expands and saves terabytes of new data each day.
If the Internet where to be blocked or whatever....every single ISP and server would have to be shut down.
I greatly doubt that would ever happen.
What about the armed forces and governments?
Every nation would be up in arms about losing the net.

in my view...simply impossible, unless linked to a nuclear holocaust. BUT NEVER in a gridlock....never.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Noticed a couple of other people missing the 'post' tab, eh||:

[edit on 11-2-2008 by anhinga]

top topics

join