It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hearing loss?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I wonder, what if one day you lost some hearing, what would you do? Would you kill yourself? How would you manage to survive? How would you find a job?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Some hearing, not even all of it? I think killing yourself over that is a little drastic... and I'm not sure if this is really a survival topic.

I went essentially deaf for almost a year due to my sinuses getting plugged and draining into my ear because of a cold/allergies/swimmer's ear combination. It started off with a severe earache that was so bad it made me want to stab out my eardrums, and then my hearing just kind of decreased a whole lot. I couldn't hear people talking to me if they spoke too softly so it was pretty bad. Then one day I could just feel a little bit of liquid feeling inside of my ear and I began to hear a crackling noise for a few seconds, and then my hearing was back to normal.

Hearing isn't that critical to your everyday life really. It would be the third sense I would want to lose if I had to, after smell and taste. Going blind would be much more debilitating than losing your hearing, in my opinion anyway.

[edit on 11/20/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Uh..let's see...

Kill myself...or learn sign language and get on with my life?

Hmm, so hard to choose.

I think I'll take the sign language route and not be a whiny quitter. I wouldn't be adverse to a hearing aid either.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like you nearly lost it though, good to hear you didn't, lol.

OK what if you lost the vision, then? (For example, during the war or you're the civilian injured by the unwanted war, or whatever reasons) What would you do? How would you manage to survive yourself like that?

I would say this is a survival topic because you need to be perfect enough in order to fit in the society or the world, right? Therefore it is a survival topic. To avoid those risks, or whatever...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
i could cope with the loss of hearing but i would miss music the most.

vision is another matter, it is one of those things where you cant predict your own reaction until it happens. one thing is for certain: it would mean total dependence.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by TruthInnate]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthInnate

Wow.. that's some avatar you got going on lol. you might want to consider resizing it!

When one sense goes, the others increases.. (I knew that before I watched the Mighty Boosh!) It's surprising how people manage with the loss of eyesight or hearing. I suppose you get used to it. Loss of sight would be the worst, more so than being born blind as you would miss everything you know by sight so well.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
reply to post by TruthInnate

Wow.. that's some avatar you got going on lol. you might want to consider resizing it!

indeed, i am still experimenting with my profile, as i am new to ATS

top topics

join