It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUBWAY Diet not so healthy after all?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Subway is definately not healthy by any means despite what people believe. I work there! The amount of sodium in each sandwich, even the veggie, is absolutely insane. Not to mention almost all of the sandwiches have atleast fifteen to FIFTY FIVE (15 - 55) g of fat for a SIX inch..BEFORE you get all of your fattening chipotle sauce and mayo. The Jared Subs might be low on fat, but not when you add cheese and all of the calories from the half a bottle of fat free sauce the majority of the customers get on it. Nothing is fresh about Subway at all, everything is highly processed (all of the cheese even tastes the same) except for the veggies which by the way we get every three days which isn't very fresh either. Wake up and look at what you are really buying also, they rip you off every way coming. Don't fall for the 'small, medium, large' cup trick either, all of the people who work for subway are out for your wallet and that's all they care about. Even if we work a 14 hour shift, which happens ALL THE TIME, we still only get a six inch sub and a cookie. Oh yeah, not to mention they do not pay employees for the correct amount of hours because they "shave" off the hundreds of hours so people end up being short DOLLARS on their checks so the CEOS can get even richer. I'm soon to be quitting so I hope this made an impact... NOT TO MENTION THE DISGUSTING WASTE SUBWAY PRODUCES ON THE ENVIRONMENT LOOK AT ALL OF THE TRASH, NO ONE RECYCLES.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I don't think any commercial fast food is healthy, but that isn't exactly the claim that Subway makes. They claim that the food is "fresh" and that you can lose weight eating "Jared's" subs.

Fresh is a very relative term. Please tell me that you don't believe that anything you buy at the grocery store is FRESH. The only fresh food is what you pick from your own garden. And in my opinion, 3 days in the cooler beats three months frozen like most fast food.

And as far as the weight loss claims, Subway subs are listed in Weight Watchers and the "Jared" subs are 5 or 6 points for the 6" sub without cheese and with fat free dressing. That's pretty good. You could eat 2 of them a day as part of a reasonable eating plan and lose weight.

So, in my opinion. Subway may not be telling you the whole truth - but who does? - but they aren't lying, either.

my .02

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged! Good thread and Hello from a fellow Trainer.

I can't say I disagree with much of anything you posted, but there are a few things.

My observations have led me to believe that people actually choose diet sodas the majority of time. I personally don't think that's a good idea. Just drink water.

If you combine saturated fats and sugars in the same meal you are more likely to store these calories as fat. Also if you combine sugar OR fat with alcohol the calories are more likely to be stored as fat.

Very good points. I think a good rule of thumb is if you're eating a meal high in carbs, limit your saturated fat intake, and vice versa. Two reasons, Fats are calorie dense(9 cal/g) so you don't want to combine high blood sugar from carbs with lots of calories. You'll end up storing body fat. As for alcohol, your body will put all other processes on the back burner, including fat and carb burning, in order to get the alcohol out of the system. So it's a good idea not to drink aclohol with carbs unless your body needs carbs. (say, after a workout)

What's the need for all that bread?

What is the need indeed. I think "all that bread" is the problem with subway. They focus on less fat, while putting a few slices of turkey between two huge chunks of high glycemic bread. Add the chips, as cpdaman pointed out, and you've got yourself a recipe for a glucose spike fest. Good point badge.

Originally posted by marie4954
Is the sugar in the juice just as bad for me as the sugar from the soda ... is it all the same or different. Should i go back to soda and just take a vitamin???

Thats a loaded question. Well, the first one is anyway. I say no to the second. I, personally, don't like the idea of drinking fruit juice. Too much at one time, but I definitely say no to HFCS in sodas.

The whole idea here is to not spike insulin levels. Insulin is what stores sugar as body fat. What raises insulin levels? High blood sugar. When there is too much sugar in the blood, insulin is released to either store it as fat or store it as liver glycogen.

There are two main types of basic sugars your body deals with mostly. Glucose and Fructose. Glucose will raise blood sugar because it is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. Fructose, on the other hand, will not as it is digested in the liver.

High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) is corn syrup(pure glucose) that is saturated with Fructose. Lots of glucose and fructose. Thats it.

Fruits contain fiber, fructose and glucose, amounts depend on the fruit. However, if the fruit contains fiber and more fructose(apples), it will slow the absorbtion of glucose into the blood. This is good. The drawback, drinking fruit juice will always produce much higher blood glucose levels than eating whole fruit. Just eat the fruit whole!

That might be confusing but what it comes down to is this: Potatoes, bread, grains, sucrose(table sugar), HFCS=Glucose=Increase Blood Sugar=Insulin Spike=Body Fat

Again, good thread.
Hope that helps!

-Dev

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Subway is great, I wouldn't worry TOO much about what I eat there, just make sure I exercise enough on the day.

You know it's bad when people don't take any care of what they eat, but I think the opposite is pretty bad too, where someone is REALLY obsessed with what they eat, it really gives you a headache.

Keep a balance I say.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
At least Subway doesn't make you feel sick and queasy after you eat it. I feel like that after Burgerking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join