It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Green Algae on Mars!!! With Pics!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
quote :

Well, I'm speaking of most Judeo-Christian Religions and similar beliefs when saying that Life on Mars would be incompatible. I am making that statement based on the fact that there is no mention of any other forms of life other than that of Earth. Even simple Life such as Plant life, existing on other planets would seem to be something one might mention within the Biblical Text. If you'd like to update me on how Life on Mars, should it exist, IS compatible then please do so because I was unaware of such Updated and Openminded changes to the old beliefs and policies.

I have been an avid reader of scripture for quite some time. Interpretations thereof vary immensly. Yours and others interpretations are what they are, and I respect that.

John 14:
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Amos 9:6, "It is he that buildeth his stories in the heaven;"

1Cr 15:40 [There are] also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial [is] one, and the [glory] of the terrestrial [is] another

these are just a few references thereof.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The martian atmosphere is simply just too thin to sustain plant life, you would need water, O2, CO2, potassium compounds, nitrates, etc, to sustain plant life...
At night it'd respire, so yes, O2 would be used up
However, I can honestly say I'm a fan of this, was a plan discussed briefly to use large mirrors to reflect more sunlight onto the poles and thus melt the ice..
that is the idea behind the Red Planet or whatever it's called film, melt the ice to create an atmosphere and water, seed it with algae and plants, which will terra form it, then begin to build habitats, plant more complex plant life, basic animal life, etc

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
quote:

As far as "extrapolating from that the existence of life elsewhere", I don't understand where you're coming from. Existence of Life on Mars, if proven to be true, IS by all definition, "Life Elsewhere" is it not? It certainly isn't "Life Here" which by default kinda makes it "Life Elsewhere".

Yes, Yes, by all means, algae, and/or any other life found on Mars would be quite an exciting, if not revolutionary discovery. I almost hope it to be so. It would be, in my humble opinion, a mistake to extrapolate from the potential finding of life on Mars to concludie life exists outside our solar system, and/or elswhere in the universe, though tempting it may be to do so.

Sorry to be off topic if I was.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Personally I'm a fan of the seeding theory, whether intentionally or accidently, that liufe was planted on our planet

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by THENEO
I demand proof! Where is the proof?
LOL!
just kidding!
must be really cold there and no oxygen right?

Doesn't plant life take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen?

THat is only as to our knowledge. Somewhere else, it may do something entirely different

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by THENEO
I demand proof! Where is the proof?
LOL!
just kidding!
must be really cold there and no oxygen right?

Doesn't plant life take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen?

THat is only as to our knowledge. Somewhere else, it may do something entirely different

That's true and I bet that slimy stuff could taste good too over a hot flame. It's a wonderful universe out there everyone, ours to explore!

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
k

[edit on 2004-7-1 by Teknik]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
The martian atmosphere is simply just too thin to sustain plant life, you would need water, O2, CO2, potassium compounds, nitrates, etc, to sustain plant life...
At night it'd respire, so yes, O2 would be used up
However, I can honestly say I'm a fan of this, was a plan discussed briefly to use large mirrors to reflect more sunlight onto the poles and thus melt the ice..
that is the idea behind the Red Planet or whatever it's called film, melt the ice to create an atmosphere and water, seed it with algae and plants, which will terra form it, then begin to build habitats, plant more complex plant life, basic animal life, etc

What about weeds, they grow in asphalt and some other weeds and/or plants grow out of only sand.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Yeah, but, you see, there's an atmosphere here that allows for the growth of plant life.

Plants will grow anywhere they can get a hold, as long as the right nutrients are present in the air, as well as the growth medium.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Maybe the government has been seeding Mars to terraform it without telling the public. That way they can keep on destroying this planet and still have somewhere to transport the elite to live in the future.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xenographer
Yeah, but, you see, there's an atmosphere here that allows for the growth of plant life.

Plants will grow anywhere they can get a hold, as long as the right nutrients are present in the air, as well as the growth medium.

I am persuaded (almost) to consider the blue-green to be copper sulfate
or some other such hydrous remnant
(more likely mixed with ferrous sulfate).

And: As if Mars has no atmosphere ?? It is weak, but enough for plant life

BTW, worshipthemoon. really dig the sig.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Interesting, but as was said...there are green minerals too.... Still, gives us a great place to go check out.....

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
As I understand it earth didn't have an oxygen-athmosphere when life started out.
So how did life on earth cope with that?
Can the reflection of materials tell something about it's composition?
That picture signified the landing spot of the American lander. If the 'patches of green' can be seen from above
where is it on the ground?
Where EXACTLY in that picture did it land and stand still?

I wish I could answer these questions....

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's true, Earth used to have an atmosphere which was more oxygen rich. That is one reason some of the Dinosaurs could grow so large, apparently.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Here is a press release on the green stuff on mars, released Oct. 2000...

New Evidence Suggests Mars Has Been Cold and Dry"Red Planet" Abundant with Green Minerals

U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) scientists studying Mars have discovered minerals with profound implications for much of the the past history of the planet.

The mineral olivine, an iron-magnesium silicate that weathers easily by water, has been found in abundance on Mars. The presence of olivine implies that chemical erosion by water is low on the planet and that Mars has been cold and dry throughout most of its geologic history.

speclab.cr.usgs.gov...

And somemore reading on the green mineral on Mars...

Olivine (Mg,Fe)2SiO4 is a greenish-colored silicate mineral common in many mafic igneous rocks (dark-colored with significant iron and magnesium content).

www.psrd.hawaii.edu...

I think what is showing in the pic is indead the mineral Olivine...

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If Mars switched places with Venus, we would have a Hoth like planet I believe.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by worshipthemoon
Maybe the government has been seeding Mars to terraform it without telling the public. That way they can keep on destroying this planet and still have somewhere to transport the elite to live in the future.

Someone else already said that here and it was an insightful comment, quite likely true if much of what I understand is happening in future actually does.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well Yoda , I ask you again than if it is olivine why is it clearly to see from above and not on the ground?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
The discovery of life on Mars is only not good for religious groups, from a scientific viewpoint, such a discovery would be thrilling beyond words.

Religion will endure anyway, it endured the world not being flat, or at the center of the universe, plus a myriad of other discoveries. The discovery of extraterrestrial life will be endured also.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Kano]

Good point here. But realize, that all those embarassments of being proved wrong are only because they were assumptions made by the church. They assumed the earth was flat, that we were the center of the universe, etc. But the bible never says anything about the earth being flat. It also doesn't say anything about us being the only life in the whole universe. There IS actually a passage that may be referring to the fact that there is other life. So people can really misrepresent the religion, as I'm sure we all know by now. Anyway, I know many christians who flat out don't even consider any other life out there, which is so naive and it drives me nuts! However, this only is a certain group of christians.

Anyway, if this algae stuff proves true, it's so exciting!! Two planets in one system that contain life would completely obliterate the argument that life is rare or impossible outside of earth. Also, I'm very interested in the actual color of the atmosphere. Great post and pics.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Well it's about time they started coming clean with this information. But I'm sure it's part of some bigger agenda because the idiots at the top are not going to let anyone pry the power from their cold lifeless fingers.

Hoagland was the beginning. A test ground to see how the public would react to the truth. It was a successful test run. Even the most hard line conspiracy theorists didn't skip a beat in their ignorance induced slavery. I think the global warming is caused by all this hot air being spewed out of the talking heads. But that's just my theory.

Sure there was life on Mars. Don't you remember being there? "They" had to transport us to earth because mars was dying. Well, now we're back to square one. It's like some insane inner-solar ping pong.

Expect a lot more "discoveries" to be given out for public digestion. Keep up with the science end for sure. Like the recent nerve cell (from a snail) attached to a microchip that actually worked. They are prepping the collective mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join