It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Green Algae on Mars!!! With Pics!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Gentlemen it seems that Mars may very well be alive. The following images were taken by the European Space Agency's Mars Express.

"Certainly like the green in the Gusev crater picture or by looking at the development of darker spots toward the South Pole which are tied to seasonal variations, it certainly gives rise to the speculation that there could be algae." Michael McKay, European Space Agency

www.earthfiles.com...

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I demand proof! Where is the proof?

LOL!

just kidding!

must be really cold there and no oxygen right?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
I demand proof! Where is the proof?
LOL!
just kidding!
must be really cold there and no oxygen right?

Doesn't plant life take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yes but oxygen is a known component of ecosystems that we are familiar with and we would expect to exist in our solar system.

Besides we are looking for oxygen since we are not plants.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Another cool thing I just noticed about this article is all the way at the bottom.

The Above Top Secret News Network did its own investigation of the Martian sky color question on January 18, 2004, at www.atsnn.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Think about the scale.. those are big azz algae patches... right.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I've seen WAY too many green minerals to be excited by that.

I await more evidence.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
how come the quality of photos from NASA are garbage in conparison to those ones

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Does it remind anyone else of the movie Red Planet with Val Kilmer? There is algae all over Mars that actually created a breathable atmosphere and stuff? There were Huge fields of it growing across the planets surface.

This is a bad picture, but it is supposed to be them walking upon a algae field..

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Sarcasm / on

yeah and they actually filmed that movie in mars

Sarcasm \ off

i think it would be all over the news if there was plant life found on mars.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausconspiracies
Sarcasm / on

yeah and they actually filmed that movie in mars

Sarcasm \ off

i think it would be all over the news if there was plant life found on mars.

Sarcasm / always on

Really??? I would have thought filming the movie on a set and special effects stage would save money and time. Not to mention it would be much more simple. Hollywood must really be pulling out all the stops nowadays huh?!?!?

It may shock you but there are many things that never hit the news. I'm not saying that this is one of those cases of course. Validation of such a discovery obviously would need time. I doubt any "respectable"(I use that term loosely), news center wants to be the one to claim Life on Mars before it is verified. All the recent data does seem to be building up to some sort of life being found however. You have to consider that actual Life, even simple plant life, being found on Mars would seriously disrupt what little peace we have in society. The Religious chaos alone would be enough of a reason to keep things quiet, especially when everyone is already stressed about Terrorism, Economy, Jobs, Janet Jackson's "Teet" durring the half time show, etc.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
umm i thought that platn life also 'inhales' or wateva u want to call it, oxygen when its dark(because no photosynthesis) im pretty sure thats correct. Either they're not plants or were looking at a whole new ecosystem here.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yes but oxygen is a known component of ecosystems that we are familiar with and we would expect to exist in our solar system.

Besides we are looking for oxygen since we are not plants.

what about ecosystems that we are NOT familiar with and can exist without oxygen?

Just because life as WE know it needs oxygen doesnt mean that life elsewhere could have adapted otherwise.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I'm with Q on this one...

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
it must be that i just haven't seen new pictures but, nasa does not seem to be showing pics of mars has much as they did in the begining and alot of the pics i've seen are in black and white......or did mars change colors again?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
You have to consider that actual Life, even simple plant life, being found on Mars would seriously disrupt what little peace we have in society. The Religious chaos alone would be enough of a reason to keep things quiet,

Plus the BLOW to the ego of a lot of humans who believe that they are the ONLY lifeforms that can exist.
One day, I believe, that we will find out that whatever/whoever created us, just had a sense of humor and created A LOT of different civilizations, to see who got where first.
Seems like a lot of people keep forgetting that we are very young compared to the rest of the universe.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The discovery of life on Mars is only not good for religious groups, from a scientific viewpoint, such a discovery would be thrilling beyond words.

Religion will endure anyway, it endured the world not being flat, or at the center of the universe, plus a myriad of other discoveries. The discovery of extraterrestrial life will be endured also.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Kano]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I don't know if those pics are algae or not. But I do disagree with the fact that finding life elsewhere in the universe is incompatible with religious beliefs. And I further do not believe that one should, given the assumption life is found on Mars, extrapolate from that the existence of life elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
I don't know if those pics are algae or not. But I do disagree with the fact that finding life elsewhere in the universe is incompatible with religious beliefs. And I further do not believe that one should, given the assumption life is found on Mars, extrapolate from that the existence of life elsewhere.

Well, I'm speaking of most Judeo-Christian Religions and similar beliefs when saying that Life on Mars would be incompatible. I am making that statement based on the fact that there is no mention of any other forms of life other than that of Earth. Even simple Life such as Plant life, existing on other planets would seem to be something one might mention within the Biblical Text. If you'd like to update me on how Life on Mars, should it exist, IS compatible then please do so because I was unaware of such Updated and Openminded changes to the old beliefs and policies.

As far as "extrapolating from that the existence of life elsewhere", I don't understand where you're coming from. Existence of Life on Mars, if proven to be true, IS by all definition, "Life Elsewhere" is it not? It certainly isn't "Life Here" which by default kinda makes it "Life Elsewhere".

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
(See what I mean)

Sorry, wasn't trying to drag off-topic. Lets try keep this one about the ESA pictures. Perhaps someone might like to start a thread elsewhere discussing the religious implications of such a discovery.

Getting back to the topic...

it must be that i just haven't seen new pictures but, nasa does not seem to be showing pics of mars has much as they did in the begining and alot of the pics i've seen are in black and white......or did mars change colors again?

All the color images we've seen have been reconstructions using 3 'black and white' color plates. Brief summary of how this works here:
electronics.howstuffworks.com...
and here
www.atsnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join