It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people continually give their money to the church?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Heres the straight answer, people give to the church because they are idiots. If you want to give to the poor donate to red cross or the like. (not to ANYTHING with the word Christian on it we ALL know what they do with the money)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Damien_Hell

It seems you are the dumb one being that I actually help out on what those Christians do. They do go to people in need, and they do alot.

That said, the Church doesn't force money from anything. I'm no idiot and give alot.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

It seems you are the dumb one being that I actually help out on what those Christians do. They do go to people in need, and they do alot.

That said, the Church doesn't force money from anything. I'm no idiot and give alot.

Yes yes of course because if your not a Christian its impossible to help the poor. Red cross is just a bunch of heathens who eat babies

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_Hell
Yes yes of course because if your not a Christian its impossible to help the poor. Red cross is just a bunch of heathens who eat babies

Just as a matter of interest, where did that come from and what prompted it?

I don't see it having anything to do with why people give money to the church. Perhaps you can clarify?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

You see, the logic behind this statement reveals a more self hating or perhaps discriminatory view of ones self or others.

While I stated my statement to counter that of what the original one was (That all Christian funds don't go to charity), this little fool automatically equated that I was somehow implying anything with secular charities.

This is what I love about ignorant folks like Damien. Just because I praise the works of Christian missionaries and charities, he automatically thinks I'm downing atheists or secular organizations.

GREAT GENERALIZATION PAL

When you assume, you make an ass out of you, but not me.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by Gorman91]

[edit on 22-11-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   

You see, the logic behind this statement reveals a more self hating or perhaps discriminatory view of ones self or others.

wrong

While I stated my statement to counter that of what the original one was (That all Christian funds don't go to charity), this little fool automatically equated that I was somehow implying anything with secular charities.

But you admitted you would rather donate to the church then to a secular charity meaning you prefer giving to the church. Since I'm SURE your not the kind of person who would by his way into heaven. You have to think the church is better then the secular organizations.

This is what I love about ignorant folks like Damien. Just because I praise the works of Christian missionaries and charities, he automatically thinks I'm downing atheists or secular organizations.

Your funny calling me ignorant, seems you can't hold an argument without resorting to insults, how sad.

When you assume, you make an ass out of you, but not me.

No I'm pretty sure its you make an ass of you and me. Your way doesn't work nor is it funny

[edit on 23-11-2007 by Damien_Hell]

[edit on 23-11-2007 by Damien_Hell]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
WHY PEOPLE CONTINUALLY GIVE THEIR MONEY TO THE CHURCH.

Possibly for the same reason people continually give their money to their favourite rockstars when they purchase their latest recordings and various forms of merchandising.

Possibly for the same reason people buy their favourite sporting heroes' latest merchandising, visit movie houses to watch their favourite film stars in action, buy the latest product from their favourite designer labels, etc.

Possibly because in the face of all the warring and bitching and pressurizing and selfishness and downright general mean-spiritedness the world's ever more full of such activities, despite their apparent pointlessness to others, provide them at least with a momentary modicum of relief from it all and the hope of better things to come.

To them, possibly, your question makes as little sense as their antics do to you.

Come to think of it, why am I even remotely arsed that you're so arsed in the first place?

Ah, well, such is life...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You say that Gorman91 can't argue without resorting to name calling? Look a few posts up. You called him an idiot. Quit trolling dude.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Heres the straight answer, people give to the church because they are idiots. If you want to give to the poor donate to red cross or the like. (not to ANYTHING with the word Christian on it we ALL know what they do with the money)

I don't know what your problem is but your name speaks volumes. I wonder why you have such a massive chip on your shoulder.
I give to the church because it is a large part of my life. It is a community of people. It is where we come to pray and to grow and learn more about our faith.
We do weddings, funerals, Baptisms. Five days a week nursery care. The scouts and guides use the hall and the kitchen. On Thursdays you can have a three course lunch for £2. None church people hire the church hall for functions of one type or another. The church is a big part of the community and it has to support itself. Without money it would close.
So, Are we idiots or are you for not having a clue what the church is about. try putting your brain in gear before spouting off such hatred towards the Christian community.
As for charity, 10% of any collections goes to projects that the church decides to fund.
Have a nice day.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by jon1]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is easy. After spending the first 18 years of my life in 'the church', I know this one. GUILT and FEAR. GUILT, because the preacher gets up there every Sunday and tells You how BAD You are - how You are worthless sinners without their particular God. FEAR, because if the guilt doesn't get to You, the fear of everlasting Hell will. God will sent You to HELL for ETERNITY if You don't WORSHIP Him. But, Oh, one more thing...He LOVES You...Bull#! He's a manic depressive Son of a Bitch, prone to ANGER and MURDER. In a civilized society, We put people like that behind bars - and the 'love' defense just don't cut it.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Why give your money to a church to waste, and give some of it to the needy instead of a non-profit which uses most of the money you give them for good?

Have you done research on the overhead created by these so-called "non-profits"? I doubt they fare much better than some churches.

Your post is clearly anti-church and could be anti-religion (your right, of course). I'm wondering why you haven't asked about the apparent waste of time that people spend while praying. Clearly, this time can be put to better use such as voluntary work etc.
Oh, by the way -- how come people spend money on art supplies? These funds could be used to buy wheat for shipping to the most needy,

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I only called him an ignorant ass because he led to assumptions. Simple as that.

And just for your information, I give to every charity I can in equal amounts. See, you went and assumed that because I defended the religious charities, that I prefer them. Wrong once again my friend. You know, it's acting like this that ended us up in Iraq? Nice job there.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

And you are calling WHO idiots? LOL

You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

Whooops. Nevermind....I know..."dont feed the troll"

[edit on 26-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockstardragon
This is easy. After spending the first 18 years of my life in 'the church', I know this one. GUILT and FEAR. GUILT, because the preacher gets up there every Sunday and tells You how BAD You are - how You are worthless sinners without their particular God. FEAR, because if the guilt doesn't get to You, the fear of everlasting Hell will. God will sent You to HELL for ETERNITY if You don't WORSHIP Him. But, Oh, one more thing...He LOVES You...Bull#! He's a manic depressive Son of a Bitch, prone to ANGER and MURDER. In a civilized society, We put people like that behind bars - and the 'love' defense just don't cut it.

I have neither guilt nor fear of anything. I give my money because my church need it due to taxes in NY. Blomberg has done nothing but hell for taxes. (but hey, my house is now worth 800,000, so it all ends good, if I can pay the taxes)

Any money left over goes to Brazil or Africa usually. Sometimes to India. I go there once in a while to help out. Africa is hell due to the local wars. But then again, when hasn't it been since the European colonies messed up everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join