It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so the war on terror is for oil, huh? then why are gas prices so high!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this question for awhile and I can't really create an answer for myself. The only answer that I can ponder on is that, if such conspiracy theories are true, the oil companies are keeping the oil for themselves (for now) and thus are insuring their power/wealth for years to come. Is this a valid answer? Or is this war really not for oil? I know, the latter question may seem like an obvious no, but I needed to speculate on this. What say you all?

[edit on 19-11-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Your main mistake is assuming that "war for oil" means war for oil for you.

How many times has there been an increase in oil prices based solely on information recieved regarding the WOT? that price increase = someone making money.

Here`s a nice site to check out that will explain how this works:

ir.exxonmobil.com...

It`s the exxonmobil stock calculator.

If you invested $10,000 in their stock on this day in 2002, it would be worth:

Closing Price $34.85
Shares Today 286.94
Investment Value $24,134.86
Percent Change 141.35

141.35% change.

That`s one illustration.

Your increase at the pump, brought on by Iran`s president scowling at the cameras, rather than any actual change to the supply, translates into a larger profit THAT DAY for one of the oil companies, based solely on the speculation that it might lead to a disruption in the global supply at some point.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Not exactly... the oil companies aren't hoarding the oil. In fact they probably haven't even extracted the oil. No, it's not about taking the oil to bring it to the consumers for sale. It's about securing the oil so that rivals don't have access to it. And even if the oil has been extracted, don't expect the regular consumer to benefit from it. At least not immediately. It's all about control of that resource.

To sum it up, I'm thinking of two possibilities --

1. Securing the oil (and preventing rivals from gaining access) for future profit
2. Securing the oil so that the War Machine can continue to run in the future, after all there's no substitute fuel for your jets, tanks and IFVs. Especially for jets.

I'm leaning towards the second possibility. There simply is no substitute as yet for jet fuel.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Your main mistake is assuming that "war for oil" means war for oil for you.

No I have not:

Originally posted by they see ALL
The only answer that I can ponder on is that, if such conspiracy theories are true, the oil companies are keeping the oil for themselves (for now) and thus are insuring their power/wealth for years to come.

But, thanks for your reply

Originally posted by Beachcoma
It's all about control of that resource.

1. Securing the oil (and preventing rivals from gaining access) for future profit
2. Securing the oil so that the War Machine can continue to run in the future, after all there's no substitute fuel for your jets, tanks and IFVs. Especially for jets.

I like this answer, thanks

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Similar to the way DeBeers diamond company has control of 95% of the diamond market, and therefore can charge whatever they want for them by keeping the supply of them under control, the oil companies are trying to do the same thing.

If you have monopolistic control over the supply then you can change the agreement of what people are going to pay to get your stuff.

Nothing has changed in reality. What has changed is consumer perception. Add to that the fears instigated by all the worldwide threats to the US and its oil supply... and prices go up.

It's an artificial state whereby the price is forced up by design in the interest of greater profit.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I think:

1. Oil output from Iraq is minimal at best.
2. The Price of Oil is directly tied to the US economy, OPEC may seem like a world community, but its an american coporate entity ( I believe )
Because the American economy is collapsing, the price of oil is increasing in an attempt to starve off devestation.

Saudi recently announced they'd INVESTIGATE the use of using a 'currency' basket, because Iran and Venuzuela advised the US Dollar is worthlesS ( which it is )

THe obvious answer is the demise of the American dollar REQUIRES oil to be traded in euro's.
Saudi didnt want to take this step, saying '' we dont want to collapse the American economy ''

To me, this is the American government pressuring Saudi NOT to switch from the dollar, because as everyone will know it will make a HUGE collapse imminent.

This is why they are entertaining the idea to investigate the concept...

which is BS for '' we will stonewall you with an 'official' response

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I'm with Beachcoma on this one. It is being reported that the world has hit peak oil. Production won't be able to keep up with demand. Demand is growing exponentially, especially with the industrialization of countries like India and China. The war seems to be an attempt at securing oil for the long term. It will become a hotter commodity as time moves on. The more that the US can control, means the more power the US has. Right now it looks like it is a part of a bigger plan as well. Which is why I really worry about the tension with Iran. It really seems like they are part of "the big picture".

I can believe the collapsing dollar scenario as well. Either way, with the way the world is heading, securing the oil is not going to translate into lower fuel prices for the average joe.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
There is not a reason for invading Iraq.

A motive for invading Iraq was the fact that Saddam Hussein started to trade Iraqi oil for Euros only. To stop him and others from doings so, Iraq had to be invaded. After the invasion, Iraq started to trade oil in Dollars again. You might think: so what? Have a look into the importance of the oil Dollar.

Another motive, as said before, to secure oil supplies. Why do you think the US has so many troops in Saudi-Arabia? Because they like the Sharia so much? Because Saudi-Arabia is so democratic? Hell no. They care about their oil only.
Imagine that Iran would overthrow the house of royals in Saudi Arabia and would instantly become the world biggest oil supplier? An interesting perspective for China.

A third motive is that of the multinational corporations, which have a powerful influence on US foreign policy.

And last: Israel. the US has become a complete joke, especially here in Europe, where many people see the US as Israel's slave, dealing with the dirty work. The Israeli lobby is probably the most political powerful ethnic group in the US.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
It's like invading Scandinavia and running out of blondes. We tramp down Iraq production to artificially inflate it for our Saudi buds. A one world currency can't be far behind, then you know what comes next, take the mark, or not. Forest here I come.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by jpm1602]

[edit on 20-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You are looking the other way. Bush and friends wanted to attack iraq, take control of the oil and sell it for more dollars. it's very simple. they wanted to sell it at top dollar. and they are doing that.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Your probably right Jed, what do I know. I am coming to get those eyeshades though. LOL. Just kidding.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Saudi recently announced they'd INVESTIGATE the use of using a 'currency' basket, because Iran and Venuzuela advised the US Dollar is worthlesS ( which it is )

THe obvious answer is the demise of the American dollar REQUIRES oil to be traded in euro's.
Saudi didnt want to take this step, saying '' we dont want to collapse the American economy ''

To me, this is the American government pressuring Saudi NOT to switch from the dollar, because as everyone will know it will make a HUGE collapse imminent.

You've hit the nail on the head, Agit8d. The primary reason for the invasion was Saddam's threat to stop trading in dollars for oil. That would have had a devastating effect on the American economy and we couldn't let that happen.

Saudi has stuck with the dollar; that is why we haven't responded to cries for attacking them for 9/11. They are a major ally in that respect.

Btw, anybody hear of the theory that oil is abiotic? Very intriguing.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Btw, anybody hear of the theory that oil is abiotic? Very intriguing.

It certainly is. It does merit a further investigation. Personally I think it's a little bit of both, although the biogenic method is most likely responsible for a significant portion of the oil. Don't underestimate what large masses of phytoplankton in the ocean can do, after all they are responsible for the bulk of our oxygen. More so than rainforests actually.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Why are gas prices so high?

You are prepared to pay for it.

Whilst you are prepared to pay for it, the oil companies are prepared to keep on sucking a few extra dollars out of your wallet, and the government are quite happy with sticking a % on top of it.

Is there an alternative.

Not really. Suppose you could use cooking oil which can be cheaper than diesel if you really wanted, but not a truly viable alternative as crops are for people not cars

I did hear about a firm that is allowing you to grow your own fuel at home!
Biodiesel
I've got a diesel car so

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Mark Horraaz]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark Horraaz

If you use the Biodiesel, make sure you pay your taxes. Or the tax man cometh..... and the tax man taketh away.

blog.jonolan.net...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

from; pg1#pid3724549

for sure

i would suggest its also the strategic move to have
boots-on-the-ground 'protection' for the House of Saud, right next door.

for some of the others that offer the Saddam was dropping the USD
as the reserve currency & currency of exchange...

? how did the years & years of under the table selling Iraqi oil to EU countries, under the cover of Oil-for-Food program which was permitted
by the U.N. at the same time as the sanctions were in effect....
What monies were covertly traded in these unlawful acts?
i'm pretty certain that USD were used in those transactions...why?...

well, was there ever discovered stashes of cash in Yen or Deutsch Marks,
or Lira, or Francs..????
No, only pallets piled high with USD were found, along with gold ingots
in some od Saddam's underground 'palaces'.

i sorta think the Saddams Oil/USD thing was a ruse and was a planted mis-direction intended to further rile up the america-firsters & world ecomomic community
but in the meantime the USD has actually begun its' fall from grace & value

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

The answer of course is that the war was to secure oil, not to manipulate it's price. You're still able to get oil for your car right? Well then "Mission Complete". No one said it would be cheap, just that you would have it.

Secondly, prices are so high because demand exceeds supply. The bigger the spread, the higher the prices will be. *psssst!* (Oil supply is dwindling)

Senior Adnoc official urges efficient use of hydrocarbon resources

The three-day conference, organised by the Emirates Centre for Strategic Studies and Research, is debating future Arabian Gulf energy sources - hydrocarbon, nuclear or renewable.

It's laughable that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is looking for alternative fuels. Aren't they swimming in oil? Hmmm, something is fishy here. You see I'd buy into this conspiracy story that big oil was manipulating prices if it weren't for the fact that fuel costs are up globally. It doesn't matter if you're in Russia, the UAE or the US. Prices are up across the board. It's dwindling supply and increasing demand. At some near point in the future, you'll be glad to just get gas for your car. Price will not be a hinderance.

new topics

top topics

join