It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'superbug' may be killing hundreds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

New 'superbug' may be killing hundreds

www.telegraph.co.uk

Pseudomonas is dangerous because it is especially virulent in intensive care units and has become increasingly resistant to treatment, says Professor Mark Enright, an authority on healthcare-acquired infections.

"Pseudomonas is a nightmare for hospitals - a real struggle," said Prof Enright, of Imperial College, London.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Could the incessant over prescription of antibiotics be responsible for these new "superbugs"?

It has been my experience that my friends and family that run to the doctor everytime they get a sniffle and get a full run of antibiotics come down with illnesses much more often than those that don't.

Even with myself, I avoid doctors and antibiotics like the plague and when the flu or something is going around, I NEVER catch it.

Maybe we ALL need to start actually letting our immune system build itself up and lay off a bit on the antibiotics.

Jasn

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The patient is still to blame for a lot of this. Too many people have pill bottles in their cabinets with two or three antibiotics left in them. Its when the patient doesn't complete the treatment that the bugs that didn't die grow stronger. The overprescription certainly has played a major role as well. Increased the opportunities for adaptation.

Antibiotics still play a very valuable role when necessary, but people definitely need to focus more on strengthening their body rather than just patching it when it breaks.

new topics

join