It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Kindle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
To some extend, I'm impress by this:

amazon.com

Perhaps, it might cut down on paper being used to produce newspapers, books & magazines.

May not be the perfect device, but a step toward it.

What do you think.

(link shrink)

[edit on 19-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This had my head spinning a bit, considering the Amazon is experiencing massive deforestation, and I went into this thread thinking it was about some new product to come from Amazon rainforest wood. Turns out it's an Amazon product that reduces the consumption of wood.

A good initiative. It sounds like it's something from a sci-fi book set in the future. But considering the future was 7 years ago, this device is way overdue.

[edit on 19/11/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
We had a discussion on this subject in class, and everyone was against the idea. It seemed that no one wanted to substitute a handheld device for a real book with pages that you can touch and feel. When I brought up the fact that this can potentially save some tress, they did not seem to care about that issue.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
We had a discussion on this subject in class, and everyone was against the idea. It seemed that no one wanted to substitute a handheld device for a real book with pages that you can touch and feel. When I brought up the fact that this can potentially save some tress, they did not seem to care about that issue.

I guess, what could bring a mentality shift here, will be if the cost of energy goes sky high, making books, newspapers & magazines very costly to produced and ship.

Unless you received it, electronically, which make sense, since it was all created electronically also, so let's leave it on the wire, instead of converting it to paper pages, or newspapers page.

But, I agree, there is some appeal to read on a real book, but carrying lots of books while traveling, is not fun either.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
They have had electronic books for years, and you could probably do the same with your palm pilot. I think when oled flexible screens become cheap and mass produced, we will have these ebooks as thin as paper, and more people will want them. Right now they are bulky, costly, and not designed very well. I think when they become cheaper, thinner, and designed better, they will be common place. Kinda the same with the mobile phone. First they were huge and costly, now they are small and cheap.

new topics

top topics

join