It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***SETI@work***

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hi team!!

Well, yesterday - Monday - led me to do lot's of alternative things whilst ATS was being maintained, as I - like *you* couldn't access our beloved discussion boards!!

So, I did a lot of trawwling through the SEI@home "downloads" pages, etc, and came across SETI@work. I think it's very interesting and well worth a visit.

Basically, it's *nothing* to do with running SETI@home *from* work - it's a web site that compares where teams are in relation to others. You can find it here.

At the top of the page there is a text box where you can input the ID *number* of the team you're interested in: in our case, 131727, of course. At the moment, it's showing us in 1230 position, and lists returns from 23rd Jan-3rd Feb 2004, although it seems weekends aren't "covered". It's *not* "real time" updates - presently it shows us with 70 844 WU's completed, whilst the ATS SETI@home stats shows 70 917 at Tue Feb 3 10:39:50 2004.

It might be worth bookmarking, so that we can watch our progress through the "team rankings".

I hope you find that interesting?? Let's go team!!

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Very interesting find

I have noticed that SETI@home is much more fun now that I've joined a group, gives me a feeling that I belong somewhere and that I am doing something useful. Who knows, maybe WE will be the group to discover the "holy grail", the signal from another civilisation....

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Nice link Genya, good catch as per usual! I really think the team is really feeling like a team now. Go SETI@ATS!

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Cheers paperclip and earthtone!!

Well, I agree that running SETI@home as *team* is really good "fun" - instead of waiting for our own, individual results to materialise, we can *all* enjoy watching the team "romp up the charts"!! Have you noticed how *fast* Xspectre8 is moving up.... Bob88 wil have to watch out!!

Let's go ATS SETI@home team!!

And, of course, *more* members would be made very welcome!!

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I've just looked and we're now at 1143 postion - we're rushing up the charts folks!!

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi all!!

Just for a bit of fun (whilst waiting for the next installment of my debate!
) I thought I'd use SETI@work as an analytical spreadsheet. This is what I found:

At the present rate, SETI@work finds that the team in 1000th place is "oce" with 80 users. They generate 33 WU's every day, have a current total of 87 583 WU's and are 6298 WU's in front of us. SETI@work predicts we should catch up with them in 21.7 days!!

So, keep watching around the 15th March to see if we can do it!!

Let's go ATS SETI@home team!! (And, as always, *more* members would get us there sooner!!!)

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
OK, Genya, you have spurred my sense of competition by naming a target. I might have to get really wicked and see about moving us up the charts a bit faster. Give me a couple of days to run some network cable and such. Bob88 probably has an idea of what I have in store.
Wish me luck.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre

Wish me luck.

I wish you the very best of luck Spectre!! WOW - even *more* computers?!!

Go for it - let's get there (and 100 000 WU's!!) before March is out!!

(I'm actually waiting to see when we will double the 46 000 WU figure generated on 12th Dec 2003 ie 92 000WU's. Can you imagine *that* - years to get to 46 000 - and mere *months* to double it?? Unbelievable!!)

Let's go team!!

xn

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
In 1088th place now. Let's try to get to 1000th place.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Hi xn!!

Well said!! Yes, we *should* be there (1000th place) around 15th March but rest assured I'll be monitoring this one!!

...And a few more people would get us there faster, of course....

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Recent developments ie new members joining have really "pushed" us up the all team board!!

Currently, SETI@work is showing:

We're in 739 position
We've gained 492 places up the board!!

We're *above* the James Randi Educational Foundation Team, who are in 746 place and that is no bad thing, IMHO!!

Interesting to see DiRtYDeViL drawing level with TCAB at 3251 WU's each, so DiRtYDeViL will be in 6th place with the next WU returned and the board gets updated!! My own 5th place now seems in jeopardy and I expect to be overtaken over the next few weeks!!

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
739th position, definatly not to be sniffed at !
It's great to be here at this time and watching our ascent up the board.
Heres to the rise and rise of ATS SETI team

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It is really impressive to see how our modest team of dedicated individuals is competing with teams from Universities and businesses. I am proud to be in such good company.

Being on the same page as the JREF made me smile. I am a long time subscriber to their newsletter "Swift" and have been a big fan of James Randi since I was a kid.

Hello to all the new members and thanks for joining the team. A big pat on the back goes to the whole team for contributing to our incredible progress.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hi ya Spectre!! Well said!!

I'm working - even now - on a spreadsheet that will give a "realsitic" report of "active members" and those who appear to have "disappeared". It's quite a feat really, as there's a lot of cutting and pasting involved but I hope it will show where we are at the moment.

Please be patient - I hope to have it ready tonight sometime!!

And, thanx, as always, for your support Spectre!!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hi all!!

A quick update on the team's progress:

Now showing at 723th positition in the All Teams list, +12 places above our previous position!!

700th place, held currently by "Overclockers New Zealand" with 119890WU's ( a difference of 3612WU's) should be achieved in 11.8 days time!!

We're leaping up the boards folks - very many thanx to all!!
And, new members are always welcome!!

Please see FAQ's , Tutorial and Index for further details!!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
just to let you know that after e-mailing the SETI@work site AboveTopSecret is now included in the groups on the home page of the site

www.setiatwork.com...

clicking on AboveTopSecret.com on there leads to a handy chart showing average WUs per day and if you tap in your name at the top of the page, you can see how long it will take to overtake the person above you if possible.
I will overtake Genya in just 4342 days

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
just to let you know that after e-mailing the SETI@work site AboveTopSecret is now included in the groups on the home page of the site

www.setiatwork.com...

clicking on AboveTopSecret.com on there leads to a handy chart showing average WUs per day and if you tap in your name at the top of the page, you can see how long it will take to overtake the person above you if possible.
I will overtake Genya in just 4342 days

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by pantha]

Thanx p!!

Very useful additition - I must check and see how long to ovetake publius!!

Let's go ATS SETI@home (and BOINC) teams!!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
ummmmm maybe I'm not going to overtake you Genya. Now that more results have come in, so far the highest ranked member I will over take at the moment is Sinchron in 1648 days. I guess it will take a while for the statistics to settle down as the results come in.

top topics

join