It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Okay, take two pieces of white bread, put them in the toaster for just like 15 seconds. When theyre stiffer, yet still white, pop them out.

Apply butter or margarine to the bread, grab a slice of cheddar or american cheese, and place it in the middle of the two pieces of bread, buttered side facing inward toward the cheese. Alternatively, you can use 2 slices, but 3 may damage your toaster.

Then put it in 1 slot in the toaster, the entire sandwich, after you smushed it down with your hand. Then let it brown fully, and when it pops, the cheese will be melted inside. The butter adds to the taste.. I just had one, theyre really good!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

That sounds unhealthily tasty! I will do this in 30 minutes (7 am). I'll probably eat it with scrambled eggs. Yum!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
So won't the sandwich swell in the toaster and not pop up properly and start a fire?

That sounds like a very dangerous sandwich.

Technically that is a toasted sandwich and not really grilled. Therein lies the danger/problem as I see it.

I'm going to try your technique but be very vigilant that said sandwich pops up and doesn't start a fire. I haven't even cleaned up properly since the oatmeal cookies caught on fire in the oven because I forgot about them and went to the bar. It was very smoky for a long time and still smells very funky.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That doesn't sound very fire safe.

I'll stick to using the clothes iron for my grilled cheese. Sure they're a bit flat, but it all looks the same when it ends up in your tummy.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
That doesn't sound very fire safe.

I'll stick to using the clothes iron for my grilled cheese. Sure they're a bit flat, but it all looks the same when it ends up in your tummy.

And then do you iron your cloths with the same iron??

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well it works fine every time for me.

After I put the single slice of cheese inbetween the two pieces of lightly toasted and buttered bread, I smush down on the sandwich firmly to flatten it, and then stick it in the single slot. For the setting, I put it on 3 .. which will make a piece of toast completely brown, but I dont always wait for it to finish, I keep my eye on it the entire time. When the cheese poking out of the top of the sanwich is melting, I know its time to manually eject the sandwich before the cheese gets so melted that it may drip.

I couldnt count how many of these Ive made, on two different toasters, and never a single problem..

However in theory I could see that it looks dangerous.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Rune, I tried your technique for the toasted cheese sandwich and it was good. I used a barbecue sauce for a dip, and used Monterey jack for the cheese and I didn't have any white bread so I used whole wheat. Sorry!

Then I saw the electric waffle maker glinting in the morning sun and I thought to myself; Texture!!!

Works great, but like the toaster; the sandwich needs to be monitored so you don't make a melted cheese mess.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
cheers!

hehe, we have a grilled cheese thread going.

barbeque sauce for dip? hm, now thats different!

i dont use a dip for my grilled cheese - perhaps I should try a dip. i cant think of anything dip worthy .. hmm.. that buttery ranch stuff they put in the little tubs at the resturants when you order fries or onions appetizer?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Instead of butter or margarine I dare you to use mayo.
Browns up nice like.
Well, if you actually grill the cheese.
Just sayin.

Seriously, try mayo, its yummy

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

No, I have a special iron that I use for sandwiches. Seriously.

I've never dipped my grilled cheese either, except for tomato soup. Hmmm......

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Please forgive me if I derail the purity of this fine thread but I feel compelled to discuss sandwich dipping.

When I first ordered a French dip sandwich; it was like firecrackers went off in my head. Any kind of sandwich can be dipped in any number of things. My current favorite is blue cheese salad dressing; followed by apple cider vinegar. I have even mixed the two for a taste treat hereto unknown to mankind.

Fear no sandwich!!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

hehehehe ok cool LOL
I thought you wouldn't use the same iron.
Now i have never tried dipping a grilled cheese sandwich but into tomato soup sounds like a try-er!

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Call me wacky if you want to but I just ate a grilled cheese sandwich like one would eat a piece of French toast. Thats right...covered in maple syrup. I used my leatherman to cut the sandwich into 1in. squares. Bite sized sandwich bits.

I know it is unconventional as hell but pancake syrup and cheese is a natural.

"Fear no sandwich"

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I thought I'd post my favorite grilled cheese sandwich recipe for all of you to enjoy.

I got this from my mother-in-law, just do a regular grilled cheese, but add raw onions before cooking the sammy, it's sooooooooooo good.

Along with the tomato soup of course.
Thanks for the idea Gerri. (mom-in-law)

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
reply to post by shearder

No, I have a special iron that I use for sandwiches. Seriously.

Are there any other types of sandwiches that you "toast" using the iron? And if I may ask what setting on the iron and how long?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Iv'e said it before, and Ill say it again....

Fear no sandwich

Being in one of my experimental moods, I thought to myself, Let's just throw caution to the wind and get CRAZY. At the mall I saw a very pretty girl fry cheese that was dipped in corn dog batter. Naturally, in my minds eye I saw a deep fried grilled cheese sandwich.

So I deep fried a grilled cheese sandwich. For this to work, it is essential, the sandwich be thourghly swathed in some kind of batter. I chose fried chicken batter that had been laying in the bottom of the fridge for over 3 months, so it was well seasoned and sticky. The sandwich must be pressed into a very flat object before you apply the batter.

Fry that rascal and let set on a folded up paper towel for a while to soak up the extra grease and let cool for a good long while before eating because hot cheese stuck to the roof of your mouth hurts real real bad.

For dipping sause I used A1 steak sauce with just a hint of tabasco. mmm

I can feel the cloestoral sticking to the inside of my aorta as I type this edit.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

A higher setting works better. I usually go with wool or cotton.

I've grilled any sandwich that can be grilled this way. Some need to be wrapped in foil first, so that you don't make a huge mess or get the iron all yucky. I hate doing dishes, so this works pretty well for me.

I usually grill it until it's the 'right' shade of brown for me and the cheese is melted. It's pretty easy to keep an eye on it, because it's cooking the top instead of the bottom.

*Note: The iron can compress your sandwich slightly if you just plop it on top and leave it. If this is a problem, just use thicker slices or firmer bread. And never, ever steam the sandwich.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I never knew it was possible to fit a whole sandwich into a single slot in a toaster! What if a part of the toast touches a wire? Wouldn't it short and blow a fuse?

Oh well....

My recipe is bread with a few diferant kinds of cheese (Tasty, and Mozeralla) mixed together and placed on the bread, with bits of feta in between. You can also add ham, bacon, and my favourite, olives and sundried tomatoes! Place in Griller till perfection.

Eat.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I haven't even cleaned up properly since the oatmeal cookies caught on fire in the oven because I forgot about them and went to the bar. It was very smoky for a long time and still smells very funky.

Oh that's an easy fix. Get a couple of boxes of baking soda and pour about a quarter inch worth in your oven. Then spray it down with water and let it sit for a few hours. Come back and just scrape the baking soda off, all the residue stuck to your oven will come off with the baking soda. It's so easy i can't even call it cleaning.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I never knew it was possible to fit a whole sandwich into a single slot in a toaster! What if a part of the toast touches a wire? Wouldn't it short and blow a fuse?

That wouldn't be very fun!

I always use my george foreman grill for grilled cheese sandwiches. It grills both sides nice and even, it works great for panini sandwiches too. And for the dip, some good old tomato soup.

top topics

join