It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wolfville, Nova Scotia's bylaw will ban smoking in cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The ARTICLE makes a valid claim regarding health issues to children under 18.

Wolfville, N.S., is known for being quiet and picturesque, but soon it might also be known for having one of the toughest anti-smoking bylaws in North America.

Is this the next step, in a long line of others, to banning smoking within one's own home?

What do the smokers and non-smokers think about this one?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Good luck with that one. It's a university town with a small police force. What are they going to do? "I'm giving you a ticket for smoking." Fine, take that before the judge. If he doesn't have visual evidence it gets thrown out.

That being said, I'm a smoker(with 3 kids) and I think it's utter stupidity to smoke with your kids in the car.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Total agreement with you there on that one, where children's health is concerned. I'm wondering if this will lead to a 'total ban' to include adults, perhaps sometime down the road.

They mentioned (Wolfville) that they were one of the first to install the anti-smoking laws - public places; first in the province. They slammed down the gavel, enacted the law, and made it stick.

In public, the law is in affect. I got a kick out of how many people shirked around the 'patio umbrellas cannot be touching at the top'; as this created a 'canopy to trap smoke'. I've seen people literally take a tape measure with them, separate the umbrellas by 'legal smoking length', and light up without the restaurant establishment batting an eyelash.

Most of the 'business' was outside, and I suppose the restaurant didn't want to get too technical, slap a few wrists, and lose their main source of revenue.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a stepping stone to other laws that would prohibit the ciggies in homes. Apartment complexes could get on the wagon after awhile, use 'fire insurance tactics', and make it law to not allow smoking even within the apartment suites. I've heard through the grapevine (few superintendants) talking about this already.

Intrepid, Both you and I smoke.

What would your reaction be if someone fined you for 'lighting up' on your own property?

If it isn't already law...I'd tell them to take a hike. If it is law...that's a different story.

Bylaws are slowly bottle-necking us into corners.

Like I said, it's one thing to infringe our little pleasres on others, and I can understand why the law steps in. Slowly but surely, the law is making up our minds for us.

How far will this go...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
What would your reaction be if someone fined you for 'lighting up' on your own property?

If it isn't already law...I'd tell them to take a hike. If it is law...that's a different story.

Bylaws are slowly bottle-necking us into corners.

Like I said, it's one thing to infringe our little pleasres on others, and I can understand why the law steps in. Slowly but surely, the law is making up our minds for us.

How far will this go...

As far as we allow it. I've had dealings with the Wolfville PD. I went to Acadia and lived in that area for 20 years. They aren't heavyweights. I'm 1-1 in court with them. The first time they had me dead to rights and 2 cops, back up witness. I'd say if they tried to site you in your own home and there is one of them, blow smoke in his face.

Personally I smoke outside my house, kids remember. I don't know of any device that can get a smoke sample in outside air that would be conclusive.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
How would all YOU ATS'ers re-act to this one?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Personally I don't think this will fly either. It sounds more like a nobody town trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. What I'd prefer to see is a system whereby smokers pay more for health coverage, that would be ideal. If you want to smoke, fine by me, but you'd pay a premium if the health implications you invite are a result of smoking.

brill

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I've had dealings with the Wolfville PD. I went to Acadia and lived in that area for 20 years.

i guess that explains why your an x-men, er, x-man?

oh, wait, that's saint eff of ex, so, you're an AXE-man, then?

nevermind. it's hurting my head(again).

XXX

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I for one totally agree with this bylaw and fully support it. Sure it might be hard to inforce but its a step in the right direction which most people should agree with. While almost all bylaws prohibiting smoking target the work place these days this one looks out for children who cant do that for themselves.

I think most people are forgetting that smoking is extreamly hazardous to ones health. While most adults have a choice on weither to be exposed to smokers or not, children often dont have that choice.

It is everyones right to lead a healthy life style, and is a debateable position on weither exposing children to second hand smoke can be considered child abuse.

If you think this law is a joke, do a search on court cases where people have been issued restraining orders to prevent them from smoking around children in thier homes. This bylaw steps in where the federal government should and is about 15 years ahead of its time.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Hardly a "nobody town." They have one of the finest universities in Canada.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Over here in Brazil, for more then 4 years now, it's already illegal to smoke while driving your car / motorcycle.

I guess not because of the danger of smoking but we have the most severe rules for traffic I'm awared of.

Things also not allowed:

-Ride a motorcycle with no helmet or with the headlight off. US$ 100,00 ticket + 20 points. *
-Drive with no seat-belt. US$ 150,00 ticket + 20 points.*
-Talking on the phone while driving. US$ 100,00 ticket + 15 points.*
-Stand with the arm/head/hand outside the window. US$100,00 ticket + 20 points.*

The monetary values are not exact but around that (and they vary depending on what state you are). There's also a "point system", when someone reaches 25 points he/she LOSES the right to drive for one year and have to attend to "traffic school" and waste around US$500 to get a license back.

Though isn't it?

Peace

new topics

top topics

join