It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have some patience, please...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
reply to post by seagull

I probably came off as being flippant, but, really, if you have to complain this much, you should be looking for another job!

Right there.

I don't feel like anyone is really complaining. Sharing stories about the rude customers that those of us come across and getting it off our chest I feel is healthy. It's my job and if I want to "complain" as you say about it, I have every right to do that.

I honestly don't buy the customer is always right bull. Rules of humanity come first in my opinion. If we screwed up on something, then yes the customer has the right to be rude until we get it fixed, but many times this isn't the case. One of my supervisors threw a customer out of the store after she helped him out, fixed and error and was about to give him a very generous discount and he had the nerve to tell her that she was dumb and needed to go back to school. No one has the right to treat anyone like that.

Most of the customers that come through my lines are nice, funny and respectful. This time of year can make people a bit irritable and I'm sure all of us in retail can understand that. I think that the OP was trying to explain what its like in our shoes and kindly asking people to be patient with retailers during the holidays. I do not consider that whining.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Sorry, but I did not say it was wrong to share stories where you quoted me. Nice try though!

When people come into a store to spend thier hard earned cash, they expect for things like the cash registers to be working properly, merchandise to be in order, and check out lines to be short. It is not the customers fault when things like this are not working properly. It is the customers right to complain when the store is dissorganized. The customer is paying your salary. I am one of those customers that has little patience when cash registers are not working properly, and a check out lines gets outa control. It isn't the cashiers fault, but it is up to the store to have a backup plan, such as other available check out lines and proper staffing to take care of their customers. I will go to a store manager and ask for them to open a check out line if there are more than 3 other people already in line. Believe me, I have left carts full of merchandise and walked out of stores where such situations have happened, and have never returned. If you don't want my cash, then I am sure there are other places that would be more than willing to take it! If situations like this are common where you work, it is actually your managements fault and not the customers. So in essence, you are barking up the wrong tree! Before I even get rude, I will just walk out of your store, never to return. I do agree it is not correct for customers to take it out on any staff member, but you have to look at this from the customers point of view, too.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Damn must be nice to be so much better then the rest of us and never complain.

Let's see I've known Seagull all his life so I'm guessing I know him much better then you do so let me share this with you. I'm in corrections as are most of my friends so you could say we're pretty capable of taking care of ourselves but my girlfriends will only shop late at night at Seagull's store because he goes above and beyond to make sure they and every other customer isn't hassled or harrassed. All my co-workers who shop there and it's most of them think the world of him male and female alike. He's always professional and friendly or at least polite. Seagull is one of the best people I know and that saying a lot coming from a big sister. He and I vent on each other because all jobs have a down side and venting helps us stay level.

Seagull is a fantastic person who stands up for what is right always and prejudiced I might be but I wish we had more like him. Of course, you all know I'm going to get a strange look from him but I don't care both my brothers are wonderful people and I love them.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

As a sort of, kind of, night manager in a supermarket I am going to be trying my very best to get you in and out of the store so you can get to your next appointment. Really, I am...

^^^^^really. is that why when i go to the checkout aisle(s) there are 4 open lanes out of the 30 they have? is that why i have to bag my own groceries? there are no baggers anymore...they have the turnstyles and the cashier bags them and they suck at bagging.......
there is the self checkout but then i am doing even more work.
i would entertain the idea of doing the self checkout thing if i got 10% off my total purchase....

But you know what? Things happen, computers crash, registers jam. People forget stuff. A little patience on your part will make things a lot better.

^^^^^^you know what else? there are incompetant people all over the place. cashiers on the register that don't know how to run it or do a return so we have to wait in line for them to call a manager or something. a little competance on the stores(employees) part would do wonders as well.
i stop someone in a store..."do you have any more of these in the back?"
--"uhh, whatever is out on the floor is all there is", and they're gone....
how do they know? did they look and see? nope

He's doing the best he can

^^^^sorry but when you punch the clock, you're there to 'service the customer'....if his best blows, then he shouldn't be on the register....IMO

, it's not his fault the bloody flippin' computer jammed up, or crashed.

^^^^^certainly not the customers fault either.

I have two checkers on the clock at night, that's it, you rude wanker...one of the computers has crashed, that means I got one checkstand open, and the guy running it is going as quickly as he can.

^^^^did you ever think that two checkers are not enough?

Thanks so much for your patience...

you sound pretty bitter and i can understand why? there are some jerk customers out there and i am probably one of them....
that said though, i am of the opinion that when i walk into a store and dump money, i want service....
when there are 30 checkout lanes and only 2 lanes open, i get pissed...
open another lane..do something....instead of making the paying customer wait...
remember, with no customers you have no job.

it works both ways....these days, customer service BLOWS....

IMO of course

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Another thing that bugs me is putting things you don't want back on the shelf any old place. Do I ;have to tell you that ice cream tucked in behind the toilet paper is not a good thing?

i do that....
i liken it to when i go to the store and say, this product is on the shelf directly above the sign that says it is on sale...i get the product and when i get to the checkout, oops....someone put it in the wrong spot. it's not on sale.

if i decide i don't want an item, i take it out of my cart and stick it on the shelf.....if the store does not care about things being in order, why should i?

and before you ask, yes i have worked retail. i worked part time winter stock at target and i did a couple years at k-mart and a video store...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

Another pet peeve are those that insist on yapping on their damn cell phones in check out lines. Guess what your conversation isn't important enough to keep everybody else in line waiting while the checker has to wait for you to pay your bill.

i also do this...
see, unlike a monkey though, i am capable of talking on my phone AND swiping my card....the cashiers these days don't even acknowledge you are there. whatever happened to "how are you doing today"?

these days, i go to the store and i am in lane 8 and my cashier is gabbing with the cashier in the next lane over.....how about the employee shows ME some respect...a little courtesy....

used to be if you didn't know where something is at, you could see a worker of the store and ask. if they didn't know they would find out. these days you get an 'uhhhh, i think it's over there', or, and this is my favorite.."no, we don't have that'..
well how the hell would you know?..you didn't look

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

All's we, as in service personel, ask is a little recognition. Look at us, not through us. Acknowledge our existence. Grunt, say thank you, something that tells us you actually noticed that there is a person standing behind that register.

^^^^i, as a paying customer ask for the same courtesy. look up at me, and acknowledge that i am at least in your lane before you continue your conversation with the other cashier, while i bag my own #.

you seem pretty bitter....i don't get it cause where i live, customer service is DEAD..you just don't get it anymore....
and this may be rude but why should i grunt or whatever and acknowledge the cashier? they are doing their JOB. they are PAID to be there and paid to SERVICE me, the customer...NOT the other way around.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

, if you have to complain this much, you should be looking for another job!

i would agree. i know this is the rant section but you are flippin out a but seagull.
some customers are rude....of course.

i am of the opinion though that i am the customer and i want to be serviced. i don't expect special treatment. if you are my cashier, at least look up and say hey.
if you are gonna bag my stuff, at least do it the right way.
these are very simple things that could and should be done, but usually they are not.....least not round these parts

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

If there is an item on the shelf that is by a tag that says its on sale, if your in my store, you get it at that price, end of story.

Yes there are always two sides to the story, sometimes the checker is slow, doesn't quite know his/her job as well as she/he should. How does getting rude help matters any? I'd really like to know... You want to get mad? Cool, feel free, I can't really do any thing about that other than the best I can.

Most stores have customer feed back cards, if you have an issue with something that is going on, or not going on, fill it out, takes almost no time at all. I can't speak for all stores but the ones that come back at us in my workplace get read, both the good and the bad. If you see bad customer service, tell someone, managers can't see everything, folks. You need to give us feedback, specifics. Not just, "this store blows." That tells us nothing. Tell us names, times, what happened. "Joe, the cashier at checkstand 2 was very slow and didn't seem to know his job, and gave me the wrong change."

Do you see what I'm saying? As a customer you can help us improve things like that, but only if you tell us about it.

Since the store I work at is competeing head on with a Walmart Supercenter, we take customer service very seriously. We do the best we can, but we ain't perfect, but we try. If customers can't, or won't, realize that, I can't do anything about that.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Isn't that what the rant forum is for? To flip out on? The next time you go off here, I'll gently remind you of that, ok?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

All's we, as in service personel, ask is a little recognition. Look at us, not through us. Acknowledge our existence. Grunt, say thank you, something that tells us you actually noticed that there is a person standing behind that register.

^^^^i, as a paying customer ask for the same courtesy. look up at me, and acknowledge that i am at least in your lane before you continue your conversation with the other cashier, while i bag my own #.

you seem pretty bitter....i don't get it cause where i live, customer service is DEAD..you just don't get it anymore....
and this may be rude but why should i grunt or whatever and acknowledge the cashier? they are doing their JOB. they are PAID to be there and paid to SERVICE me, the customer...NOT the other way around.

So you don't feel the need to be polite, is that it? Hmm...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

When people come into a store to spend thier hard earned cash, they expect for things like the cash registers to be working properly, merchandise to be in order, and check out lines to be short

^^^^exactly right....it's bad enough having to go to the stores and deal with the every day crap. when i am at the grocery store or whatever, i DO want short lines and i DO want things to be running properly....registers jam....ok, i get that. not my problem though. i like my groceries to be bagged properly. i like the cashier to at least see that i am a person in their lane....

. It is not the customers fault when things like this are not working properly. It is the customers right to complain when the store is dissorganized. The customer is paying your salary.

^^^^100% agreed.

I am one of those customers that has little patience when cash registers are not working properly, and a check out lines gets outa control

^^^^i would go so far as to say i have ZERO patience for this type of crap. now, i can understand when it is the hollidays cause it is so busy(but i don't hit the malls and such...i am basically talking about the grocery stores) but what about the rest of the year...
i have been known to leave my cart in the line and walk right on out of the store....if i am getting ready to plop down two bills on some groceries, i want a little bit of service....used to be they'd bag your stuff and put it in the car for you. these days, it's almost like you are expected to check yourself out and bacg your own stuff.
i know my local store has about 20 lines and usually only 2-3 are open. there are about 6 check yourself out lanes though...
whats up with that?
i have to pay these crazy prices, then i have to stand in a long ass line, or scan and bag myself....?
if i do that, i want a discount.

. I will go to a store manager and ask for them to open a check out line if there are more than 3 other people already in line. Believe me, I have left carts full of merchandise and walked out of stores where such situations have happened, and have never returned.

^^^^^bwuahahahah, i just said the same thing and didn't even read that you posted it....i too will go to the manager and make it known why i am mad, where the cart full of stuff is that i was going to buy, and why i am going to buy it elsewhere.
it is called 'customer service' for a reason.

Before I even get rude, I will just walk out of your store, never to return. I do agree it is not correct for customers to take it out on any staff member, but you have to look at this from the customers point of view, too.

i don't call how i get rude really. more brash or abrasive...

here is an example.

a few months ago my wife and i were at kauffmans. she had a gift card and she had picked out her items....we didn't know how much was on the card but we knew there was something on it. the department was inthe very back of the store.
we hand the items over and she rings em up and tells us the price. we give her the card and say use whatever is on that, and we will pay the difference with cash.
she told me she could not do that and that i had to walk to the front of the store to scan my card myself on one of their machines to find out how much was on it....i lost it...
i was rude there.
i told her no way, no how that was going to happen and get the manager on the phone....
she said she could not do the transaction like that and i knew she could. of course she could.

so after she called the manager, she was some how perfectly able to run my transaction through just as i had wanted her to. i don't know what her bag was but i was not going to do her legwork.
i was there to shop, not do her job.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

If there is an item on the shelf that is by a tag that says its on sale, if your in my store, you get it at that price, end of story.

^^^^not round these parts.....you get a too bad, so sad type deal....

Yes there are always two sides to the story, sometimes the checker is slow, doesn't quite know his/her job as well as she/he should.

^^^well then imo that checker should not be on the register. if you do not know or can not do your job properly, then pull them off th eregister.

How does getting rude help matters any? I'd really like to know... You want to get mad? Cool, feel free, I can't really do any thing about that other than the best I can.

^^^^as i said, i liken it more to being brash than rude...how does it help? it really don't but it lets me vent, as you are venting here.
i don't do it to the cashier though. i go to the manager and complain. i make it known that i have shopped there before and i wsa about to drop a couple more bills till i get an incompetent checker or a rude checker....

Most stores have customer feed back cards, if you have an issue with something that is going on, or not going on, fill it out, takes almost no time at all.

^^^^i rather go to the manager....how can i be sure my card will be read. besides, i like to complain in person...

If you see bad customer service, tell someone, managers can't see everything, folks.

^^^i do...believe me, i do

Since the store I work at is competeing head on with a Walmart Supercenter, we take customer service very seriously. We do the best we can, but we ain't perfect, but we try. If customers can't, or won't, realize that, I can't do anything about that.

of course i don't expect perfection.
i don't expect much at all.
if i am at the store, any store, i simply want customer service and lately, i do not get it.
if i am in your store for example and i want to buy light bulbs and i don't know where it is at, i expect an employee to know where i can find them...
i don't need to know aisle 3, row 4, bin a..
but if i pull aside someone that works there and ask them where the bulbs are at, a simple 'aisle 3' would do.
these days i get a half assed grin and an 'i unno'..
where is the service in that?
i don't want perfection.
when they go to bag my stuff, how hard is it to 'build a box'(thats how i was tought and bagged when i had my first grocery store job at 16)so that my # don't fall out all over the place?
why only put one little thing ina bag?
the customer is not always right but the customer deserves service

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Isn't that what the rant forum is for? To flip out on? The next time you go off here, I'll gently remind you of that, ok?

uhhhh, ok.....
remind me till your hearts content....
i was merely making an observation...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

So you don't feel the need to be polite, is that it? Hmm...

i don't think i said that but if you are my cashier and you don't even acknowledge that i am in your line cause you are too busy chatting up the cashier in the next lane, then no, i need not be polite.

i am NOT polite to the cashier that ignores me till it is time to tell me my total or asks me how much granny smith apples are cause he/she don't know....
see where i am coming from?

in the end, like it or not, it is your JOB as a cashier to be nice, courteous, and polite to the customer....i am not required to be a nice guy to you...
i don't go out of my way to be a jerk but if i don't feel like i am getting the right treatment, i will make it known.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

oops forgot to log Seagull out .
Sorry gh

[edit on 4-12-2007 by seagull]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

In that situation, you had every right to be rude. I whole-heartedly agree with you.

I will actually put items on randome shelves when I am shopping too, I will admit. However I do feel that if it is something perishable then it should be brought to a cashier. I remember the time between customers when I found a thawing leaky package of turkey legs someone had stuffed in my candy aisle...very unsanitary.

Customer Service is not dead. I am a quite shy and nervous person but I at least say hello and ask my customers how they are doing. At the end of the transaction I put their bags in their cart if they haven't already and I wish them to have a nice day/evening. There are a lot of older ladies that are great as well, I will honestly admit though that a lot of the young people are not always great with the customers.

Enthralled Fan, seriously, we are embarassed and feel bad enough when something goes wrong and we do everything we can to get the issue fixed as soon as possible. As a human being, I don't feel like it is right to be rude in those situations when something happens. We live in a faulty world, we are human and sometimes stuff happens.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

So you're one of those people who insist on regaling all of us with your phone conversations; figures given your previous posts. Get a clue many of the checkers are reluctant to interupt your oh so important yapping for fear of the customer complaining. I can't speak for all but Im sure that most people would just as soon not be held up in line for your phone call. Also when you put things like ice cream just any old place you're hurting all of us; think about it the store will raise prices to cover those losses furthermore the next customer might not like running into your mess.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

So you're one of those people who insist on regaling all of us with your phone conversations; figures given your previous posts. Get a clue many of the checkers are reluctant to interupt your oh so important yapping for fear of the customer complaining. I can't speak for all but Im sure that most people would just as soon not be held up in line for your phone call. Also when you put things like ice cream just any old place you're hurting all of us; think about it the store will raise prices to cover those losses furthermore the next customer might not like running into your mess.

i don't insist but if i am on the phone or a call comes in when i am checking out, then i answer it...
i'm supposed to NOT talk on my phone in line?
i don't understand that.....

i mean, why not? the cashiers have no problem 'regaling' myself and others in line by talking amongst themselves, not acknowledging the customers. they're not too afraid to ignore a customer or not acknowledge the customer, but they're afraid to interupt a convo?
whatever....i ain't buying that one.

i can't speak for everyone either but i don't see how me being on the phone holds up the line.....i mean, i am one of those people that can talk, AND give my credit/debit card over...i CAN walk and chew gum so what are you getting at?

i like how you go right to the ice cream...pick the one thing that will melt and make a huge mess.
why didn't you say something to the effect of it's not cool to put the tuna cans on the cereal shelf?

cause you're trying to lay a big ole trip on....

in the end, I(ME) am the customer...when you are on the clock, you are the cashier....like it or not, i do not need to serve you. i do not need to put my welcome face on.....you however, do as it is your JOB.

now, if you have read my post maybe you would notice a trend...if you're cool and acknowledge me, i am super friendly. if you're rude to me by not even acknowledging me, then i will be a prick....why not?

you know, you walk up and hand them your savings card and they take it, scan it, ring the stuff and bag it all crappy....
the only time they open their mouth is to tell you the total.
^^^^those are the types i complain about....

as far as putting stuff back where it don't belong....
thats the breaks i guess. i could try to come up with some reason about why i do it to try and justify it but in the end, i hate being in the store 1 more moment than i need to. if i decide i don't want an item, back on the shelf it goes. the night crew/stockers will get it....that is part of their JOB...not mine

and i assure you, where i live, customer service is dead.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

when there are 30 checkout lanes and only 2 lanes open, i get pissed...

Well, then I take it you don't ever go to a Wal-Mart ANYWHERE!!!

Every Wal-Mart I have ever been in my life has always had 500 registers and 3 of them open with people standing twenty deep in each line.. :shk:

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join