It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have some patience, please...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Why not go further and give them a chuckle? They probably need one. Here's one that I've done:

Cashier, "How are you today sir?"

Me, "I'm a little bloated actually."

She looked at me for a couple of seconds and burst out laughing. Another reason my wife doesn't want to shop with me anymore.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I hear you.

I worked in the a grocery store through college and now, well now I am just a government employee at an undisclosed location behind a counter. Only difference now? I can basically tell people to go play hide and go @!#$ themselves. From know it alls to condescending jerks with a Napolean complex, I see it everyday and try like hell not to let it get me down. It seems though, to me any way, that people are like this everywhere nowadays. Self important and the world revolves around their short attention spans. It tends to make me pessimistic and cynical. Well, not really, I was sarcastic and pissed well before now.

Hang tough. I'd offer you a Kilkenny but then I'd have to drive.

Never mind me, I just babble.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
There was some inexplicable delay in getting his pain meds to him all the rest of the day. Can't explain what the problem was. *ahem*.

w00t!!! Good on ya. I wish I was able to do something like that. I work in the service industry as well, in supermarkets. Some people, OH, SOME PEOPLE!!
Like this rude ***** who, obviously thinking she is so high and mighty, starts questioning me if they ever taught us how to pack bags properly. I think I put a paper-wrapped cheese in with a slightly wet lettuce. She just kept on asking the same question, thinking she was so smart, when in fact she was being very immature, and everyone watching knew it as well.

The trick is, be overly polite to rude people. Smile, wish them a nice day, and they won't know what to do. It simply aint worth it. They aint worth it.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think some people just have the Rude in their genes! Nothing you try to do will Ever satisfy them. Once I was in downtown Seattle going to the Federal Building to apply for a job. When I was crossing the street a heavy set woman fell down, in the middle of the street! She wasn't hurt, no broken bones or anything. I immediately went to help her up, because the freaking light was changing. She put her big fat arms around my neck and with all the strength I had.... I lifted her up. Did I tell you she had serious B.O.! Once on her own two feet she gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen and walks away. No thanks, No nothing...just a dirty horrible look.
My hair was messed-up (I think she musta grabbed it at one point) and I smelled like a B.O. factory! Not to mention my back really hurt. I opted not to apply for the job that day!

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Need less to say my wife doesn't want me to go Christmas shopping anymore(haven't for years) so it worked out for everyone.

Ah HAHAHAHA

You and me both intrepid!! Yeah i was shopping once and the cashier and the person packing were yacking away like everyone in the queue had all day to stand there while they discussed this and that. So i calmly said, you get up and go get the manager and he can ring my stuff up and you can stand over there and chat. She looked at me and i said, GO get your manager and HE can ring my stuff up or move your ass and you can yack when you are done. Well, needless to say she moved her ass and i am sure the other cashiers also over heard me LOL... Well, my wife won't go to that store with me hehehe

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well i worked for a supermarket chain once upon a time as a sales manager. It was for around 2.5 years and i learned a lot - like the most important rule, the customer is always right, till they walk in the store. When customers go on and on i kindly point to the "entranced reserved" sign on the door and politely mention that security have the right to make a scene too by dragging their asses out the door.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Or the abysmally rude ones who insist on counting out the change their due for you? "That'll be 4 dollars and 34 cents back." Really? Did you just get out of the first grade and want to prove it to me? Listen you arrogant, condescending, elitist wanna-be, with your fancy schmancy liberal arts degree from some college that no ones ever heard of, I'm probably better educated than you are. Any way I've got that big ole screen in front of me that says you are due back 4 dollars and 44 cents, but if you don't want correct change, that's fine with me, I'll give it to the Salvation Army bell ringers later, you know, those nice folks you ignored on your way in, and that you'll ignore on your way out?

I sooo know what you mean...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Actually Shearder, you're wife shouldn't have been embarrassed. You had every right to yell at that cashier in that situation. As a cashier I know better than to gab with the other employees while I have a line full of customers. There are a few cashiers like that where I work and I wish more customers would yell at those ones, then maybe they would work harder like the rest of us.

It's just that sometimes we get yelled at by customers when we really haven't done anything wrong or when we have made an honest mistake.

Like yesterday I apparently packed a bag a little too heavy for one of my customers. Instead of politely asking me to repack the bag, she throws the bag bag down on the spindle like a toddler having a temper tantrum and stearnly says "It's too heavy" without even looking at me. Witch!

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I just have to relate this experiance from last night. It's just after 2AM, so beer sales are over for the night. This guy comes in and brings a half rack of Coors up to the checkstand. So I tell the guy, sorry you'll have to come back after 6 AM to get your beer. This is where it get hilarious...

He looks right at me, and says "You want to sell me the beer." While he's saying this he's moving his hand from left to right like he's some sort of freakin' Jediknight or something...I couldn't help it, my reply "Strong are you in the force, young one, but not that strong..." I lost it, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The guy was dead serious, wasn't lit up or stoned...LOL.

Dude, if your out there reading this...thank you, you made my month.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Are you getting paid to do a job? People are people, and while there is no excuse for rudeness, people are just jerks sometimes.

You need to get another job before you have a stroke or something! If it's this miserable, go find something else to do!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Indeed I am getting paid, thanks for asking...

Just because I get paid to do this job I'm somehow required to put up with rudeness? Nice to know that...thanks for enlightening me.

You did notice this is Rant, right? Ranting is about expressing the inexpressable in a slightly controlled arena. Crying is allowed, so there...
, maybe even lots of it...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

So I am guessing that you never discuss the down side of your job with your friends and loved ones? Sometimes it's just nice to share the work horror stories with others.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Maybe it's because I have also worked in some customer relations positions, that I can say I have learned one thing about it all.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!!! Even when they are being jerks.

I probably came off as being flippant, but, really, if you have to complain this much, you should be looking for another job!

Find something you really love to do, and make a career out of it.
If you love what you do, you will never have a job!

Best of luck to you, as the holidays are just warming up.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Actually, no, I don't, because I believe in leaving what happens at work, at work. Nobody else forced me to work where I do, therefore I have no right to complain to others about it.

I've been on the receiving end of complainers, and my thougts are, well, so what do you expect me to do about it? It's outa my control! Either bring your issues to your boss, or find another job!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If everyone who went Christmas shopping knew exactly what they wanted before entering the store, there would be fewer problems. It's the people that want to browse and waste time that make shopping hard on people.

That's why I do all my shopping on the net. Thank you Al Gore.

Peace

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

You seem to be operating under the misconception that I'm like this all the time...

Keeping the customers happy is what keeps them coming back. But no where is it written that I am required to put up with rude customers, or customers who think they know my job better than I do. Just because I'm on this side of the counter makes you better than me? I think not...

The vast majority of the people I deal with are polite, freindly, and know that I, and my guys, are doing the absolute best we can. It's that rare individual that makes my hackles rise. If you worked in the service industry you can not have missed him, you know the one who thinks that the world revolves around him, and we should ignore everything and everyone else to help him with his earth shattering problems. I'm trying to help some nice lady send a Western Union to her son and new grandson, and this guy is standing behind her making snide remarks about how slow Mexicans are, or worse...if you can maintain your temper and not ask the so and so to leave, you are a better man than I. I politely ask the gentleman to leave.

Customers are both the best thing and the worst thing about working in the service industry in whatever facet. Bane and blessing in one. The blessing far outweigh the bane, however, it's the rare bane that make a day go from good to bad in a heart beat.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Really, the holidays are just starting? Wow...I hadn't really noticed...:shk:.

That really bad holiday music should have been my first clue...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You have a pretty bad attitude about just the few then. All I can say to that is , let it roll off your shoulders like the rain.

Sometimes people are the way they are because they had a bad day like you experience from time to time. Could be they just left the Dr's office where they were kept waiting until 2 pm for a 10 am appointment. Could be they are running late because their car broke down. Maybe somebody they love just died. Who are you to say why some people get impatient waiting in line? Unless your psychic, there are lots of reasons why people may be behaving in a manor not to your liking.

I will give you that snide comments towards other customers of yours, or yourself are unnaceptable.

But really, you should be giving people the benefit of the doubt at times.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

There is absolutly nothing wrong with sharing work stories with like-minded individuals. It doesn't mean that we are bitter, it doesn't mean that we hate our jobs (I love mine actually), it's just that sometimes it helps us to relate our stories with others who can relate.

Obviously you are a way better person than the rest of us, so why even waste your time replying to this thread?

Oh and Seagull, my store started playing Christmas music long before Thanksgiving! You should've heard the moans and groans in the break room! I don't mind though honestly.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Can you point out where I said it was wrong to share stories with other people who can relate? You asked me if I ever complain to anybody, and I answered your question based on how I feel about it for myself.

If you have some poor soul who you want to put into the position of listening to your whining, by all means, go for it!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join