It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have some patience, please...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Howdy.

With the holidays upon us, stores are going to be busy, tempers short, etc...

As a sort of, kind of, night manager in a supermarket I am going to be trying my very best to get you in and out of the store so you can get to your next appointment. Really, I am...

But you know what? Things happen, computers crash, registers jam. People forget stuff. A little patience on your part will make things a lot better. It does no one any good at all, for you to stand at the back of the line yelling at the poor bastard running the checkstand. He's doing the best he can, it's not his fault the bloody flippin' computer jammed up, or crashed. It takes a minute to reboot, if you don't have that minute, you need to plan your day a little better. As the old saying goes "Piss poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine."

I have two checkers on the clock at night, that's it, you rude wanker...one of the computers has crashed, that means I got one checkstand open, and the guy running it is going as quickly as he can. In a minute I'm going to have the other register back up, and we'll get you out the door. So shut the hell up, and be patient.

But no, you just gotta stand there harrasing me, and my guys...so, guess what pal. You just said the magic word, you really shouldn't have started calling the checker a bleeping blank. You want that case of beer? So sorry, you bleepin' blank, go get it else where. Get out of my store. Buh-bye. Oh? you're going to kick my ass later? No you're not, because I just called the cops. Guess who they're going to believe...won't be you, you hopeless wanker.

Now then, folks, can we get on with buying our turkey and cranberries with much beer on the side? Cool...

Thanks so much for your patience...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
WOW! Your pissed off. And I don't blame you.

See, my problem with holiday shopping is the 95 year old couple, with a full cart in 12 item or less, self- checkout lane (which they never used before) trying to put there damn coupons in the "Cash in" slot, while cursing up a storm about when they were young there was never a line. Meanwhile, I'm lucky enough to be watching, and trying to politely "coach" them through it. Uggggh!!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eyes up

I've never had to deal with those self checkout things. Don't ever want to, I can never get them to work properly for me. So trying to explain them to someone else would be nightmarish.

Another thing that bugs me is putting things you don't want back on the shelf any old place. Do I ;have to tell you that ice cream tucked in behind the toilet paper is not a good thing? Or dumping your coffee cup behind the cold medicine? I threw away just over 800 dollars worth of cold medicine last week because some brainless simpleton couldn't be bothered to find a trashcan...

If you don't want it, just take it up front, we will be happy, ok maybe happy isn't quite the word, to put it away for you. Really, we'll do it for you.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Seagull, You OK????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I feel for you my friend....

I will state it here for all to see.. I could never do your job.... People are way too rude..

But I promise to take your advice and be much more patient and kind when in the store... And I'm going to tell them Seagull told me too...

Semper

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Fine, actually...

You know what they say about repressing. Repressing, bad; expressing good. So it's all good...

It just gets really old...they all say the same damned things. "Can't you go faster?" Nope, you old fart, I can't...just for you...I have one speed, slow as possible, just so I can enjoy the dulcet tones of your ceaseless whining...

Or... would you like some music to tap that foot by, sweetie? No, goin' accapella today? How nice.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Much as I appriciate the sentiment, my freind... Your job has mine beat all hollow. No comparison, really...

I deal with rude...you deal all too often with just plain evil.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I see where you're coming from seagull but it might be a case of misguided anger. They really aren't pissed at you or your staff, they're pissed at the other shoppers. Been there. I've actually yelled out in a store, "The next #### that pushes me or runs into me is going to get ####." I don't diss the staff though, I'm a union man after all. Need less to say my wife doesn't want me to go Christmas shopping anymore(haven't for years) so it worked out for everyone.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I understand what your saying, Intrepid, yes indeedy, I do.

The ones, like the beerless wonder, are rude to everyone around him. I've seen it many times.

All my rant is really about is...I and others like me aren't doing this just to piss you off, if I wanted to piss you off, I could find half a thousand better ways to do it...trust me...I'm good at pissing people off, been doing it for better than 40 years, lots and lots of practice :howdy:.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I understand what your saying, Intrepid, yes indeedy, I do.

The ones, like the beerless wonder, are rude to everyone around him. I've seen it many times.

Gotcha man, seen it myself. Snipey little, why is it always the little guys, like poodles, that just have to screw with the staff?

All my rant is really about is...I and others like me aren't doing this just to piss you off, if I wanted to piss you off, I could find half a thousand better ways to do it...trust me...I'm good at pissing people off, been doing it for better than 40 years, lots and lots of practice :howdy:.

It's good to rant, gets it out of your system. You're doing your job, if someone can't understand that F them. They aren't worth your energy. Btw, I was in the States this week, had a great time.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Btw, I was in the States this week, had a great time.

That's what the hub-bub was all about....

HS raised the alert level but would not tell us why..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I crack myself up....

Just a joke now Intrepid, stay calm, don't get mad...

LOL

Semper

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think it should be mandatory that everyone work in the public for at least a year.. Then people would understand how #ty the retail business really is. You have to deal with everyone's freaking attitude, et cetera. "The customer is always right." Yeah, my ass. :bnghd:

I feel your pain.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Why do people have to go into stores and be rude to the staff? Having worked retail sales I will state they are underpaid. I can't stand people who are rude to retail sales, wait staff and others in the service industry. It only takes a second to look at some one; notice I said look at not through those in the service industry smile and say thank you.

Another pet peeve are those that insist on yapping on their damn cell phones in check out lines. Guess what your conversation isn't important enough to keep everybody else in line waiting while the checker has to wait for you to pay your bill. Let's make check out lines a cell free zone.

Also how about those rude people who throw the money down with the attitude that they are soooooooo much better then the checker. Dude or dudette kiss my what?

The biggest lie I've ever heard is "the customer is always right" oh no they aren't.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Totally agree GH but they have the option to call head office and you better be able to explain yourself to them if you go off on a customer. The company doesn't care about you as an employee, they care about the money in the customers wallet. I had this happen in my part time job a couple of weeks ago. My response was, "Have a nice evening." I like this well paying job.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'm out of retail sales now. I just work overtime instead of a second job. So as a customer I'm not adverse to explaining to the rude one that they are in fact out of line. I still maintain common courtsey demands that you hang up your cell phone and conduct your business rather then delay everybody else.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
So as a customer I'm not adverse to explaining to the rude one that they are in fact out of line.

Gotcha, been there too. There was this snipey little bugger in the beer store last year, yes, we have to buy beer at a designated store but I got some at a gas station this week(Buffalo), that was cool, I was the only one behind him when I went in. He was looking for an obscure beer that they didn't have in stock and was going after the girl like it was a federal crime.

5 minutes later, the girl almost in tears because she couldn't say anything and a line up was building back to the door, enough was enough. I told him to make another choice and let us get on with our lives. He said something pert, I said something threatening and he left, we all got our beer and the girl was relieved. Stick up for those in the service industry, it's NOT easy work. And they are there to serve YOU. Mind you, if he looks armed you may not want to do that. This is Canada though.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I feel your pain SG. I, too, work in the service industry. As a nurse, people realize you can't b**** slap them when they get horribly rude, abusive, combative, etc. so they just pile it on. If I were a flight attendant, I could just have them thrown out and put in jail. Not me. I take the elbow to my jaw, smile patiently and apologize to them for raising their ire! I can't just say, "I've had it with you antagonistic jerks! I quit!" It's called abandonment and not only do I lose my license to practice but I get charges brought against me. If you politely, professionally take a firm but gentle stance and let your "clients" know that you will not tolerate such behavior, they just get on the phone and call the administrator who comes down on you like a ton of bricks. Or they call their lawyer and try to rob me of my salvation army furniture and mobile home.
Yep. I LIVE to serve. I once had some bozo puke all down the front of my uniform then shove me into the wall saying, "you stink, b****, go get me some water to rinse my mouth out and wash that stink off you before you come back in my room." There was some inexplicable delay in getting his pain meds to him all the rest of the day. Can't explain what the problem was. *ahem*.
I avoid the shopping season like the plague. I make x-mas selections from mail order catalogs and am finished by September. My freezer is full enough to last me all winter. Now that milk comes in boxes that can be stored at room temperature until opened, I don't go into stores for anything until after the first of the year. I feel for ya, honey. As sucky as my job is, I wouldn't want yours.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ah Seagull, Dude!

I did a few years in a supermarket while I was at college, had a great time working there, had some good friends there as well, and the boss man was a retired British Army Major and he really knew how to give the staff and CUSTOMERS a dressing down when needed. I remember once a customer called one of the girls in the deli a "stupid fat cow" the boss man was just out of sight. He marched round the corner and OMG! you never heard anything like it in your life!! Awesome stuff.

I myself am somewhat like Intrepid and THE LAW (wife) has banned me from the supermarket when it's busy!

I love shopping in Hong Kong, one of the most DENSEly populated places on the planet!

Best of luck with all the wankers!

I love the fact that the word wankers is not struck off by the censors, cos in the UK that is a quite offensive term!!

So before it is added to the list: wanker wanker wanker wanker. That was not aimed at anyone, but Man I feel quite relaxed now!!

MonKey

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I am also in the retail industry at the worse possible store to be shopping in at holiday time...Wal-mart! This will be my first holiday there, but I'm guessing it's like taking all of the annoying customers I have had there since I started and multiplying them by 100.

But I've also been in stores on Christmas eve. It always intrigues me how people will procrastinate their shopping, wait until the busiest day of the year and then have the nerve to throw a fit because the lines are too long or they can't find a free associate on the floor to ask a question or it's too crowded. You know it's going to be busy on Christmas Eve so deal with it!

Yes, cashiers are humans not perfect robots. We make honest mistakes sometimes, registers get jammed, wrong buttons get accidently pressed, we run out of change and it seriously takes forever to know how to do everything. Just when you think you know how to handle any cashiering situation...something new pops up.

So be nice to us, or we will accidently drop your soup cans on your bread when we are bagging up your groceries!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm always extra nice to service people because I cannot imagine dealing with one rude wanker after another all day long. I love to be the bright spot in their day and telling them what a good job they're doing and that someone out there appreciates them.

Secondly, I avoid stores during this season. Avoid them altogether!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Really big hug for Benevolent Heretic...

All's we, as in service personel, ask is a little recognition. Look at us, not through us. Acknowledge our existence. Grunt, say thank you, something that tells us you actually noticed that there is a person standing behind that register. I'm 6'4" and weigh in the neighboorhood of 270 lbs, you can't possibly have missed me when you're standing 2 feet away. Oh, I see, you're extra special cause you're on THAT side of the checkstand, and I'm not because I'm the one on THIS side of the checkstand. OK, I get it...you missed those lessons in etiquette that your mama, who must be so proud of you, tried to teach you when you a little peabrain, but now that you're a big peabrain its ok to be rude. Because I have something resembling integrity I'm not going to do anything to teach you that you should be polite to service people 'cause your eggs and bread can become quite flat, not just be accident, but on purpose. I've never done it, and never will, but lordy the temptation...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join