It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: Hate crimes up nearly 8% in 2006

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by j_kalin

So it's not good enough for the offense to be just a crime, it must be made into a crime against the whole community. Why not just make it a crime against humanity and shoot em right on the spot.. All crime effects society as a whole!!!!!

And why is it Not being used evenly!!!!!! If the wealthy obviously commit a hate crime, it's blown off as a prank???

When are we going to have Enough Laws? Will we ever?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think the definition of a hate crime is a crime that is based on racial motivation. That is the reason the crime was committed, but then they also count crimes against homosexuals, as hate crimes.

Yes that is a pretty clear definition however the underlying point is that it's a crime based on differences. People are naturally attracted to people like themselves and (unfortunately) often times repulsed by people who are different than them.

Skin color is just one difference and one symptom of a greater problem. We need to teach our children to embrace diversity and that it all starts with little things. If your a white person make an extra effort to say something nice to a person of color in front of your children at the grocery store (for example). If your a person of color do similar acts to show you have nothing against white folks. If everyone pitches in a few pennies we'll make alot of money.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

In my case this is not a issue, I have a mixed family. Lets go a step further, if your white, when was the last time you had dinner with a black person or family?

As long as we remain separated, we will be separated.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Excuse the rant but here it goes:

All races are guilty, we don't need these kind of laws, they will not bring us together, they will only divide us more. I hear Sen. Obama's wife on TV talking about how the "black community" doesn't support her husband yet, but in time they will.

Fundamental flaw here people, why does it have to be the "black community", why can't it just be the "community", we have willingly separated ourselves from each other. This needs to stop.

rant ends!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
One of the major problems lies in differentiating between mindless thuggery and a crime committed because a multitude of bias.

This was not considered a hate crime despite the attackers shouting this:

"We have killed the white man. That will teach an Englishman to interfere in Paki business."

source

This is perhaps a clearer example of hate crimes

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Fundamental flaw here people, why does it have to be the "black community", why can't it just be the "community", we have willingly separated ourselves from each other. This needs to stop.

I couldn't agree more. Stop making the distinction between a black community and a white one. You can't solve this problem with the same old rhetoric because it's that very language which fuels the fire.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

As long as we remain separated, we will be separated.

I will take it a step further.

As long as we continue to label ourselves, others will continue to label us.

First step: Drop all the race descriptives such as BET, xx (race) college scholarship, etc etc. Drop the special rules of who can call whom certain names. Drop the "I am xx (sex) parades".

Many groups dont want to become 1 (so to speak). They want to remain separate and keep their community amongst themselves.

Sad.

And on the topic at hand. I feel labeling only certain crimes as "hate" is absolutely ridiculous. All crimes are hate against another person. Period.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 20-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
If your a white person make an extra effort to say something nice to a person of color in front of your children at the grocery store (for example). If your a person of color do similar acts to show you have nothing against white folks.

I'm sorry, but WHAT?

"Look honey? I'm standing next to a black man and I'm not worried he's going to jack me for my papers! And neither should you hon. Oh, thanks stranger for helping me teach my kid not to be a bigot!"

If that wouldn't be just bigoted in itself! That's like starting a race joke off by 'clearing' yourself by saying "and I've got LOTS of xxx friends but..."

You are terribly naive to even suggest that- Hell if a hispanic/black/whatever family came up to MY family and treated us like an exhibit not only would I question their sanity, I'd have to publicly ridicule them!

People will always form their own cliques around their own kind. Sugarcoat it any way you like but it's human nature.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. Stop making the distinction between a black community and a white one.

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about that statement. To me it seems like putting on blinders because two different ethnic groups obviously have different cultures. As such, there is a distinction. What should be stopped is focusing on the negatives, because then the other side starts focusing on the negative points and eventually it all breaks down and an atmosphere of distrust permeates.

But different as the cultures may be, there are also similarities. I suppose the best example of how different cultures can coexist that I can give, I draw from my own personal experiences in the country I live, Malaysia. Here we recognize the differences, but we respect and appreciate it. And despite the difference, we share what similarities we have and unanimously agree on one thing -- that we're all Malaysians. In that we are united.

Can't all you folks in the States do the same? After all, you are in the United States of America.

Edit to add:

Here's a 1999 Malaysian Independence Day ad that drives my point home:

The moral of the ad? "United we stand, divided we fall"

[edit on 20-11-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by avingard
The definition of a hate crime is performing the crime, whatever it may be, because you have some grudge or bias against that particular race, sex, etc., so basically, you're being charged with a more serious crime because of what you THINK.

Since when is it right for law to punish you for what you think? People who rape, murder, assault, harass, etc. should be given a punishment adequate for rape, murder, assault, harassment, etc. and no more. I regret the lingering racist, sexist, and biased feelings in this country as much as anyone, but if you want to hate someone, it is not my or the law's place to tell you not to as long as you do no harm.

Exactly. This "hate crime" stuff is dangerously close to thought crime.

If someone commits a crime, punish them for it. Period.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by j_kalin
The reason hate crimes are not just "crimes" is as follows. If I attack you and steal your car, I am guilty of assault and theft, but just you are the victim. If I attack you in a gay neighborhood, steal your car and yell die faggot as I assault you, admit to having attacked you because you are gay (or jewish, etc) then I have not only hurt you, but I have hurt an entire social group via intimidation.

[This is a repost of one of my earlier messages.]

Common Wisdom states that: picking on a tribal group (i.e. race, religion) is worse than targeting an individual because the offender attacks everybody of that identification.

It's no different! Tribes have resources completely unavailable to individuals, starting with huge numbers and family connections. Why do you think there are such things as race riots? They start out as one-on-one or few-on-few confrontations then escalate to whole tribes.

If I was black or gay rather than a "nerd", "geek", or "faggot" - I would have the protection of a tribe and a legal system that favours tribes over individuals.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   

If your a white person make an extra effort to say something nice to a person of color in front of your children at the grocery store (for example).

Why should I be nicer to a black person than a white one? (BTW, I'm white.) I treat people the way they deserve to be treated, and other factors such as how I feel at the moment.

And there really is no way to be nice to a person of a specific race in such a way as to highlight that person's race in a positive way. Any attempts to do so usually backfire. And how do I know that person is not a reverse racist or a race-paranoid looking for any chance to "get back at whitey?" The chances are against it, of course - but I have to WMA.

Would you believe there are some white people who are afraid to interact with minorities on the grounds that some rotten apples might accuse them of being patronizingly racist, and invoke Hate Crime Laws to ruin them? So much for these laws helping the races coexist in a friendly way!

IMO, being colour-blind is the best way to fight racism.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
All of the people I know from LA say that latino gangs are killing blacks indiscriminately for things like walking on the wrong side of the road and there is a serious problem with MS 13 scumbags. The problem is that the cops would rather let an illegal go than go through 10 feet of crap to make an arrest on one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join