It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: Hate crimes up nearly 8% in 2006

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

FBI: Hate crimes up nearly 8% in 2006

www.usatoday.com

The number of hate crimes in the U.S. rose by 8% in 2006 with some of the biggest increases against gays, Hispanics and Muslims.

Statistics released Monday by the FBI show that of the 7,722 hate crimes that occurred, more than half were racially motivated.

The number of hate crimes against whites increased 7%, from 828 in 2005 to 890 a year later. While the number of incidents against blacks remained steady, the majority of racially-motivated hate crimes, almost seven out of 10, are committe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There were also significant increases crime against gays, Muslims and Hispanics.

It's sad that we haven't evolved enough to put aside our ethnic differences, to attack some one because of their skin color is a sad thing.

I wonder just how many other hate crimes occurred that didn't get reported as such?

I remember a story of some Jewish kids burning down churches owned by black people, but they were not charged with hate crimes, because they said it was just pranks.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wonder how many hate crimes were charged as such that really werent hate crimes?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What did you expect will happen when the media is constantly highlighting the differences between ethnic groups, and spotlighting the negatives no less. Day in, day out, the negative points get coverage. That's gotta influence perception somehow. It's on TV, it must be true...

God is in the TV.
--Marilyn Manson

It's all part of the plan by the powers that be so that the masses will concentrate on one another while they secretly cook up more plans to consolidate their rule.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
What did you expect will happen when the media is constantly highlighting the differences between ethnic groups, and spotlighting the negatives no less. Day in, day out, the negative points get coverage. That's gotta influence perception somehow. It's on TV, it must be true...

Divide and conquer... it worked in Kosovo, so why not here?

And what about the hate that never gets prosecuted or rarely noticed because the victim is not one of the protected tribal groups? How many millions of people live through hell because they are too short, too fat, too ugly (there's no objective standards for this, so why let Hollywood and Madison Avenue set them?) too smart, too dumb, too neuroatypical, etc etc?

Either prosecute all hate, or none at all.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It is said that these type of crimes committed against white's are way under reported and most are not considered hate crimes at all.

The Duke case? Hardly. The now unraveling fantasy story–somewhat unbelievable on its face–of white athletes raping a black stripper is coming to an end with very few mea culpas from those responsible for this farce.

No, I’m talking about the kidnapping, rape, and double murder in Knoxville of a rather angelic-looking white couple by a couple of thuggish black ex-cons. This case is truly awful; the facts speak for themselves:
Another Horrific Inter-Racial Hate Crimes

This is just one example. I guess it's politically correct to not report on some crimes, then to over report others.

Divide and conquer makes since, if we are leary of our neighbors we may never focus on our government

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The authors of the article are intentionally distorting the meaning of the term "hate crime"...

A "hate crime" is not simply a crime where the victims are a member of one group and the perpetrators of another, but one where the crime is specifically motivated by bias.

For example there's no doubt that the Knoxville case was a savage crime, on the other hand there seems to be little reason to believe that it was motivated by racial hatred.

Now personally, I'm not all that comfortable with "hate crimes" laws, specifically because they'll inevitably be used as political footballs - and this article is unintentional evidence of that IMHO. While there seems to be no evidence for this to be a "hate crime", the author intends to promote the current popular delusion of "white persecution" (the funniest meme in circulation IMHO)... Some how apparently, whites are being systematically persecuted by the (mostly white) media, the (mostly white) legal system, etc etc... yeah, sure

On the other hand there are clear cases of hate crimes out there, but it's a legal area full of slipery slopes. Where does one draw the line between Constitutionally protected free speech and a "hate crime"? In my opinion the line has to be that only crimes that would be crimes anyway (vandalism, assault, etc...) could be considered "hate crimes" - expressing a hateful opinion might be, well, hateful... but it doesn't qualify as a crime.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

God is in the TV.
--Marilyn Manson

It's all part of the plan by the powers that be so that the masses will concentrate on one another while they secretly cook up more plans to consolidate their rule.

I totally echo this comment, the population is bombarded with media telling them the worst of the worst. Where are the fuzzy slipper stories that make us all feel good and glad to listen to.

Terrorist, terrorist, terrorist repeatedly reported. With a war going on how can we get away from it. Uneducated (yes uneducated) people take up their torches and go with what they know...and all they know is news.

An experiment was done once on a Opera audience once. A person came out and began telling them the difference between blue eyed people and brown eyed people. The audience became suddenly aware of who they were sitting beside, blue eyed or brown eyed. Brown eyed people were told that most criminals were brown eyed, that they are more likely to steal or murder and that they were not smart. Blue eyed people on the other hand were kinder, smarter and less likely to commit a crime. The audience became upset, blue eyed people wanted to sit away from the brown eyed people. Brown eyed people became angry and vocal stating the person was lying and didn't know what she was saying. The person motioned to the blue eyed people, at how violent the brown eyed people were behaving. Finally Opera came clean and apologized, explaining to them of her experiment.

Here is that person Jane Elliot who conducted the experiment with her grade 3 class...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hate crimes are BS and the people who thought up the idea are morons...

Hate crimes don't exist, CRIMES do exist, If someone does something which violates another persons rights, punish them accordingly, You cant punish someone more for the same crime simply because of their opinions and thoughts... thats a violation of the first amendment....

If someone kills another person in cold blood then they should be punished for MURDER....

Allowing such things to continue to be applied only serves to SEGREGATES us, We are all created EQUAL or we aren't I say we are, as do our founders, lets act like it.

[edit on 19-11-2007 by C0le]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The original intent of hate crimes laws was to combat organized, often violent groups like the KKK or the Nazi Party in Germany (I'm not sure if the American Nazi party has been violent except in speech). These laws have been more or less effective in decreasing the influence of a number of hate groups like the Klan. The problem now is the definition of a hate crime has to be continuously expanded to include more and more groups. I would venture to say there have been hate crimes where heterosexual white males have been targeted, though they're not usually included in the definition.

Violent crimes tend to fall into two categories: those committed because the offender hates somebody or those committed because the offender has something to gain. I'm not sure why one category would be more or less culpable than the other.

Although many people feel like the designation of a crime as a "hate crime" should be scrapped altogether, I think it's still necesary to be aware of them. The fact that the number was up in 2006 is cause for concern. It's important to remember, though, that members of a dominant majority can also be victimized.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I could agree with keeping stats on the reasons crimes are committed and by what groups which may have inspired them, in order to help prevent and help those with potential bias, But as i stated before a crime is a crime, you kill someone you kill someone, the punishment should be the same.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The definition of a hate crime is performing the crime, whatever it may be, because you have some grudge or bias against that particular race, sex, etc., so basically, you're being charged with a more serious crime because of what you THINK.

Since when is it right for law to punish you for what you think? People who rape, murder, assault, harass, etc. should be given a punishment adequate for rape, murder, assault, harassment, etc. and no more. I regret the lingering racist, sexist, and biased feelings in this country as much as anyone, but if you want to hate someone, it is not my or the law's place to tell you not to as long as you do no harm.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think it goes far deeper. Our leaders, our role models, have turned our Country into a cesspool of hate. It is often exhibited on the board as intolerance. The Far Right agenda leads to acts of hate against Muslim's and Hispanics but that is only the hate from one side. The Far Left is just as insidious with their desire for State Control of peoples lives. Discrimination never leaves us does it? Now instead of things like Whites hating Blacks we have replaced it with the Skinny hating the Fat, Non-Smokers hating Smokers and on and on and on. Hate is never far away.

I don't think we can control it. It is a part of our nature as Human Beings. Here is another example of hate rearing its ugly head -
Source one. Source two.

Hate comes in many forms. I find it a constant battle to not fall into the trap of deluding myself into believing I'm not prone to exhibit hate myself. We all have prejudices that hurt people. Emotional pain is often worse than physical pain. We are an incredibly cruel species.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Honestly... have people become more and more racist? or has Good Ol Political Correctness gotten even more out of hand?

if a person commits a crime.. generally they don't care who it is!!!

it's not like a person is gonna care what color of skin or sexual orientation the person is of ... honestly... two white boys get into a fight at school - Assualt and battery/suspension ... a white boy and black boy get into a fight at school HATE CRIME !!! EXPULSION NOW!!!

honestly.. it's gotten out of hand.. i live in a city between two Native Reservations .... and whites ARE a minority here... (small town) and here.. if you do something and your a white boy or from the poor tirbe... you will get maximum punishment ... if you are from the tribe with Percap ... you won't get anything... (Want proof jsut come visit me)

Mods if i said anything bad here you can ban me if you want, but at least keep my post here and edit it.. (not to much) to get the point across... i dont have to stay, just the idea i left does lol.. sorrry im angry

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
The original intent of hate crimes laws was to combat organized, often violent groups like the KKK or the Nazi Party in Germany (I'm not sure if the American Nazi party has been violent except in speech). These laws have been more or less effective in decreasing the influence of a number of hate groups like the Klan. The problem now is the definition of a hate crime has to be continuously expanded to include more and more groups. I would venture to say there have been hate crimes where heterosexual white males have been targeted, though they're not usually included in the definition.

So like the most viscous gang in America the Mexican Mafia that number 50,000 plus how does hate crimes battle them? The vast majority of crimes against blacks is from blacks and so how do hate crimes battle this too?
I agree with the posters that feel that anytime we do not look at all as a single group of Americans we just continue to create and support the very thing we are trying to end.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Just about any crime by a minority against a white person is not considered a hate crime. Let any white person do anything to any minority and racism screams out of the news because it draws attention.

The FBI needs to let a few statisticians go and put a few more agents in the field to combat real crime.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

What a hate crime?

Are not all crimes committed in hate?

Do they count crimes against white? Asians? hispanics? Exactly what fits the criteria for a hate crime?

How often are supposed hate crimes admitted? As in the victim insist it was in hate?

Why is there a punishment differential to "hate" crimes as to other crimes?

Did you know someone committed of a hate crime will spend more time in jail then someone who commits violent repeated rapes?

How does this help society?

Does this create more divides within society?

Did the creation of the "hate crime" law lower hate crimes being committed?

By the way, don't trust government records for crimes. A drug induced murder / rape will only count for a murder, for instance, just as any vehicle accident with beer anywhere near the vicinity (like unopened in the trunk) will be recorded as a alcohol related accident. I hate statistics.

I just found out I live in the 19th most dangerous city in the country. Is it accurate? I wouldn't be surprised to tell you the truth, but I have been to far, far worse places.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I would like to see a break down of all of these crimes and see exactly which ones I'd catgorize as a "hate" crime."

However, I have to say that given the current state of affairs in this world, it doesn't surprise me. We live in a very divided society and world. We have extremes of just about every group you can think of. These extremes are causing hatred for the collective whole.

Now, race descrimination, in my opinion, has always been a bunch of bull#. There is no reason for it and it shouldn't be tolerated, period. As far as "gay bashing" is concerned, while I certainly do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle, to go out and beat or kill someone just because you suspect they are gay, that is just wrong.

What surprises me is that there hasn't been an increase in attacks on Muslims or Christians. Given the fact that many people, including myself, view the world as being embroiled in a world war started by these two warring religions, one would think you'd hear of more attacks on the practitioners of these faiths. Is the media just keeping these attacks under wraps? If so, why?

[edit on 19-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think the definition of a hate crime is a crime that is based on racial motivation. That is the reason the crime was committed, but then they also count crimes against homosexuals, as hate crimes.

I do wonder why this Nine Alabama Churches Destroyed wasn't prosecuted as a hate crime. They apparently targeted rural black owned churches.

BTW I'm against hate crime laws.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by George W. Bush]

[edit on 20-11-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The reason hate crimes are not just "crimes" is as follows. If I attack you and steal your car, I am guilty of assault and theft, but just you are the victim. If I attack you in a gay neighborhood, steal your car and yell die faggot as I assault you, admit to having attacked you because you are gay (or jewish, etc) then I have not only hurt you, but I have hurt an entire social group via intimidation. That group will then act in ways that are harmful to society as a whole...either seeking retribution(physical or legal), lack of patronizing local businesses due to fear, moving away and leaving the community at a loss for desirable demographic and consumers, reassurance that that sort of behavior is OK and allowing it to spread to other groups, instillation of the belief that laws are enforced only by power and not by the rule of law, weakening our democracy. That is why hate crimes are so important...they are worse than simple crimes due to their effects on society as a whole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join