It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS becoming Increasingly Anti-Christian?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

please dont tell me you are an english teacher.

No, I'm a Journalism major.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Luxor, I have had much shoved down my throat...

Particularly the materialistic mindset, but I Couldn't care less. I don't post on every anti-spiritual or religious thread I come across... You made reference to the materialistic mindset being the "superior mindset," please do tell what you base your theory on...Need I list the detrimental effects this "superior" materialistic mindset has led to, or would you just rather not hear the truth, Luxor?

[edit on 19-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Personally, and I'm not dissing you SoT, I am getting tired of the word "anti". It's being thrown around here a lot. It meaning against..... something. That means someone is being bent out of shape as to what they think some people's stances are, "They're against me." Anti this, anti that. Maybe they are just "pro" something else?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Intrepid, there are a lot of words and phrases that are over used.. It's sort of like the liberal and conservative thing that constantly gets tossed around...

I think something becomes anti-whatever, when it becomes excessive. There are some who post here, not naming names, who degrade Christianity and the belief in God generally, to the point to where you really can't label them anything but anti-Christian, anti-Spirituality or anti-faith.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Intrepid, there are a lot of words and phrases that are over used.. It's sort of like the liberal and conservative thing that constantly gets tossed around...

I totally agree, that's a pain too.

I think something becomes anti-whatever, when it becomes excessive.

Like the use of the word "anti"?

I'm just saying that "anti" is negetive and defensive. I know what you are saying though but couldn't those people be called "pro-atheist"?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
wow, this is a kicky lil topic. I am assuming most of the poster in this thread are Americans? If yes, how many of you have traveled abraod?

Soooo, how 'bout looking at this topic in a new light. What DO all religions have in common?

By the way....hiya...I'm new here!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Speaker.. Please enlighten me on the "truth". Since by your posts and your name you have figured it out, and I am sure your more than willing to share it. Please tell us. I am waiting....

[edit on 19-11-2007 by luxor311]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just recently was released a very interesting movie The Man From Earth. It gives some brilliant ideas. there was one about Christianity as well, don't want to tell the story, better experience it yourselves (movie is worth watching really)

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I think the average intelligence level of the human race is slowly increasing.

I think as this happens, more and more humans see the validity of scientific method and are less likely to believe concepts that there is no evidence for.

How many peer reviewed papers have been published in scientific journals concerning the “Theory” of Intelligent Design?

How many potential experiments have been proposed to make an attempt to collect data to try and collaborate the theory of Intelligent Design?

How many peer reviewed papers have been published in scientific journals presenting data from experiments that purports to collaborate the theory of Intelligent Design?

As the average level of human intelligence rises, I believe you’ll finder harder to convince the human race as a whole to believe concepts that there is no evidence to support.

I don’t think the problem is that more people are becoming anit-Christain. I think the issue is, people are becoming more intelligent.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
How do you define Christian? There are many different denominations and within those denoinations many different sets of beliefs. I consider myself a Christian, though I'm not a fundamentalistand and don't think all of the Bible is infallible. I am pro choice and pro gay marriage. I am not evangelical and feel no need to convert others to my way of thinking. Many other Christians would say I'm not Christian at all.

There are differences among Islamists as well. There are the Sunnis and the Shiites. There is the Taliban which is socially extremely conservative. There are probably more divisions I don't know about, as I haven't read the Koran or looked into Islam very thoroughly.

When you talk about Christianity or Islam it's necessary to be specific about exactly what beliefs are being discussed.

Do I think ATS is anti-Christian in a non-specific way? There are some members who are, and some of those are very clear about that they don't like. Atheists can be very vocal. There are others who are quite vocal about their Christianity. Your concern, I think, is whether there are too many threads on the topic. ATS is self-regulating. If there is too much discussion on a topic people will lose interest and stop posting. I think many members want some controversy and rational debate or they wouldn't be on here.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
im actually getting tired of all these anti-anti-christian threads. there are just as many as anti-christian threads.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hlesterjerome

You do realize that the approximate global IQ is only about 85, right? I hope you do.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Sorry to have to use the prefix "anti-" again, which is really just semantics because someone else could just as easily get tired of seeing "pro-" (in their mind) too many times ...

I have to say there is an anti-christian bias on ATS. But I think it comes from the perception by many that want to lump christians and conservatives together. And we all know that there is a tremendous anti-conservative bias on ATS. Or the "PC" version of that statement would be that conservatives seem to be a decided minority of posters on ATS.

[edit on 11/19/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A few thoughts on this thread:

However, spirituality should never be confused with religion. They are not one and the same, though many wouyld argue that they are.

I could not agree with you more, Speaker... Spirituality and religion are often lumped together as one, and they are definitely different. I was raised Catholic, and while I agree with some of those doctrines and with a lot of Christian ideas, I am hardly what one would call "religious." I do prefer the term "spiritual," and I appreciate the fact that you pointed out that there is a difference. That is neither here, nor there... I just liked it.

Originally posted by LDragonFire
To me the very fact that they have a agenda, is what bothers me, they wish to legislate their faith, to enforce their beliefs on those that don't follow their path. I agree that the radical right fundamentalists are every bit as dangerous as radical Islamics.

LDragonFire, this is so true. This very statement is why I care so much about what I mentioned above. I would hate for someone to think I was "religious," because I don't want people just assuming that I automatically agree with people on certain issues, just because we have the same religion. Legislating faith is dangerous, and clearly violates any supposed separation of church and state.

And, finally, who doesn't love a good grammar fight?

please dont tell me you are an english teacher.

No, I'm a Journalism major.

My undergraduate degree is in journalism. I think you are both correct, depending on context and meaning. Just please... no grammar fights! Then ATS will start having all sorts of anti-journalism major threads! As I believe I stated earlier, I was raised Catholic. I don't need any more strikes against me! J/K...

[edit on 19-11-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad
My undergraduate degree is in journalism. I think you are both correct, depending on context and meaning. Just please... no grammar fights! Then ATS will start having all sorts of anti-journalism major threads! As I believe I stated earlier, I was raised Catholic. I don't need any more strikes against me! J/K...

[edit on 19-11-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

Well, it depends on context. If I really do care about something I'd say, "I could care less." That would be proper, but in the context Luxor was using, one in which he meant there are people who don't care at all, the phrase would be "couldn't/ could not care less." I wasn't trying to be insulting to Luxor and hope he/she didn't take it in that manner. It's just a pet peeve of mine. You know, one of those things that "bother" you and really shouldn't?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
How do you define Christian?

That's not easy. As I stated in my original post, some would probably argue, due to my views on some issues, that I am not a Christian. However, by my definition I certainly am...

To me, a Christian is someone who believes in Jesus Christ and tries to live their life in accordance with his teachings.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Deesell, I will have to agree with you. Too many think that being a Christian is a matter of practicing a religion, when in fact, I'd argue it's not. It is more about the way a person lives his/her life...

Amen to that.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Runetang, while I have certainly been critical of mainstream Christianity, I would never wish what you suggest on anyone. What would cause you to make such a statement?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Methinks he was joking. Check the smileys.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join