It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ok man....i'd like pics of the bird you're cooking and after it's done: game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
i'll bump this up on thursday but i know some people celebrate a day or two early with the other side of the fam.

not to boast or anything but my turkey is fantastic.....it is a learned way to cook it that came from my great grandmother...
crispy skin is a must and i dodo you not, i won't eat anyone elses turkey...

so, since we can't taste each others birds, lets at least get a look.

lets see that perfect golden brown skin...lets hear some tips...
i'll start and i know everyone is gonna have their own way.

1st=the cavity....this MUST be 100% clean, no blood. the best way is to clean it out with lemon juice, after you take out the neck and gizzards and wash it out.
B=the bird MUST be 100% dry before you put your marinade on, whatever you use.
3rd=imo, a good ole rubbin of butter, salt/CRACKED pepper and one or two of my secret things are best.....MUST use paprika as it will help to brown it.
D=the stuffing. forget that oldschool crap....i stuff my joint with pasta.
sketti noodles cooked and cooled, mix that in a bowl with mozzerl, cottage, parm, and a touch of ricotta and 1 egg. mig it all up and stuff the bird.
5th=and this is key to a crispy skin and moist meat....a FOIL TENT...some people cover theur bird all the way and they will result in moist ckin or no covering at all will give you dry meat....
cover it with a foil tent so the bird is covered, but there is a large 'pathway'(imagine a tent open on both sides) and that captures all the steam...the steam is what really gets down on in there and cooks the meat, but the skin stays crispy.
F= and this is where people make mistakes....do NOT open the oven every hour or 30 minutes to baste....45 minutes or so before your bird is done, take the tent off and then baste.

then, let it cool for about 30 minutes and it will cut nice and easy....

i'll post a pic of my before and after on thursday.....

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'll post a picture of mine before and after it's done Thursday afternoon. 24.5 pounds of golden brown gobbler. I haven't decided on my dressing/stuffing yet. You're right that the bird needs to be dried well for good browning. I may inject mine with a little melted herb butter this year for extra tastiness. I usually just rub the exterior with oil or butter, and season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Plenty of fresh herbs in the stuffing.

The key to bringing the meal together is making good gravy, and good gravy takes a little skill and practice IMHO. I usually simmer the neck and gizzard in some broth and use that to de-glaze the roaster. It's important to separate most of the fat from the juices, but a little needs to be left for richness and thickening.

I love to cook, and EAT.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
We make ours only 1 way...I will try and get before and after pics.

We put ours in a brine (insde a cooler) for 24hrs...then stuff it w/ some veggies, apple and cinamon sticks. No stuffing in the bird for me - blech! Put in at 500 for 1/2 hr then the rest of the time at 350. When the temp gets turned down, a diaper foil tent is placed on it....then its not opened for about 2.5 hrs.

I have had turkey every way imaginable...and putting it in a brine is the only way I will eat it now.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Before.................

.........oh wait, wrong holiday. My bad.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here's the before. Sausage, sage, thyme, onions, and celery in the stuffing. It's 24.50 pounds, and was so plump and attractive I just rubbed it with vegetable oil and seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. She's heading into the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
sorry guys..i was in the hospital till thursday morning so i couldn't cook the bird

top topics

join