It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian leader dismisses US currency,calling the currency "a worthless piece of paper

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by fastwalker23

When Bush and most people who enter into public service (to our republic, the USA) they swear to uphold the Constitution. It was about the only thing that was significant at shrubs swearing in.

But, Back to topic.

While it's true that the USD might not be backed by gold and silver, it has value. Anyone holding these promises to pay can trade them for real estate in Florida or Hawaii, buy stock in MSFT, GE, SGMO or INTC. They can go to any supermarket, drug or, Walmart store in the states and get pretty much whatever they need to get through the night. This is because it's backed by the faith in the people of the US.

Except for the questionable practices of some of those in our charge, these past few years, things are getting back into balance. Keep the faith baby. We have to maintain and protect the faith in our system. It is always under attack. Laws or general understandings, recently broken or changed should not be made insignificant evolutions of our society. We used to uphold to the highest standard in these practices. The ideal and demands of a just and sustainable system, society. Justice maintains FAITH in our system, society.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

America exports little of value. I cannot remember the last time I bought a product made in the USA.

Perhaps take a look at the CPU inside your computer, perhaps take a look at your OS while your at it. Maybe even go over some defense contracts? Where do you think your tridents come from?

Here's a quote from your lovely BBC

Main exports: Computers and electrical machinery, vehicles, chemical products, food and live animals, military equipment and aircraft

source

[edit on 18-12-2007 by LwSiX]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LwSiX

how long will it be before we start exporting
Computers and other electronic products from china or india?
most of them all ready Made in China. as its easier for US companies to produce there.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LwSiX

America exports little of value. I cannot remember the last time I bought a product made in the USA.

Perhaps take a look at the CPU inside your computer

The company might be American, but they manufacture the products elsewhere where it's cheaper to produce. CPUs are made in Penang, Malaysia. Some memory chips are made in Malacca, Malaysia. Motherboards usually made in Taiwan. Hard disk drives made in Penang and Singapore.

The computers referred to in that BBC link must be talking about supercomputers, because as far as I know, personal computers are not made in the USA. And that's not America's main export.

Cultural items like music and films, along with and weapons and other instruments of death -- those are America's main exports.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
AMD cpu`s are fab`d (fabrication facility) in Dresdan Germany.

So they arn`t made in the USA.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
True, but what about the revenue made from it? Does that not go into the American economy?

That was basically my point, people have short memories its seems when it comes to most of the products that they use on a day to day basis, were designed, researched and created by US companies. It really angers me when i see people from Europe and the like just blather on as if the US has never done ANYTHING worth value. Its ridiculous and obvious bias.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Where do you think your tridents come from?

America cannot supply it's own arms industry anymore, they lack the raw materials and the technological expertise in which to do it, it is sub-contracted overseas now, a lot of it to china . In fact they import a lot of 'black box' technology for the defence industry from china and they do not even know what it does or it's specifications . There used to be military grade specifications for components used for armaments, nobody is checking wether these imports conform to that spec. Maybe the core defence business resides in the US the office that deals with administration of the business , but the factories and plants are overseas. A supply line they can easily cut.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

In fact they import a lot of 'black box' technology for the defence industry from china and they do not even know what it does or it's specifications . There used to be military grade specifications for components used for armaments, nobody is checking wether these imports conform to that spec.

Do you have sources for your information to back that up?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Do you have sources for your information to back that up??

I can give you a pdf from the report submitted to congress by the US- China Economic and security review commission ?

Here it is :

www.uscc.gov...

It's a large document , interesting reading , but a little disturbing if you were of the opinion the US defence industry was somewhat sacrosanct.

Thats an official report ( nov 2007), not conspiracies R Us site.

I will link some, for people that have not read it :

The Impact of Trade with China on the U.S. Defense Industrial
Base
• As the globalization of supply chains continues, elements of the
U.S. defense industrial base are being moved overseas, thus
lengthening the supply chains of U.S. weapons and defense
equipment. U.S. defense contractors have merged and moved
some manufacturing outside the United States. Sources of defense
components are becoming scarcer in the United States, and
the supply of American workers skilled in manufacturing these
components is diminishing.
• The U.S. Department of Defense is not a sufficiently large customer
to many of its suppliers to be able to influence their supply
chain decisions.
• Some of the items DoD purchases contain foreign-made components,
the origin of which, in most cases, is unknown. There potentially are substantial security risks to the United States from
using foreign-made parts and components in weapon systems or
other equipment important to U.S. defense. These can result
from—
• tampering with or specially engineering foreign-manufactured
parts and components.
• inadequate quality that leads to failure or substandard performance.
• interruption of the supply chains, thus depriving U.S. forces of
the weapons and equipment on which they depend to defend
U.S. interests.
• At the present time, U.S. officials are neither carefully tracking
the persistent attrition of the U.S. defense industrial base as
more and more manufacturing is outsourced offshore, nor identifying
and justifying on national security grounds an irreducible
minimum defense industrial base that the United States should
retain regardless of the cost or effort required to do so.
• Specifically with respect to the impact of trade with China on the
U.S. defense industrial base, U.S. officials are neither—
• methodically tracking what parts and components are obtained
from China that are used in significant and/or unique systems
important to the nation’s defense; nor
• identifying based on specific national security considerations
(1) particular parts and components that, if obtained from
China, contractors and subcontractors should be prohibited
from using in any such systems, and (2) a subset of key defense
systems in which contractors and subcontractors are or
should be prohibited from using any parts or components from
China; nor
• developing effective means to implement, monitor adherence
to, and enforce such policies and restrictions.
• The United States currently is a world leader in R&D, which
greatly benefits its defense industrial base. As the quality of
R&D in China continues to improve, and China’s research capabilities
continue to expand, it is becoming an increasingly attractive
destination for American companies to outsource their R&D.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thanks, i will give it a look.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I used to work in the european defence industry( mid 90's up till 2001), well i was on the software side, but the specification tolerances were always highly audited and adhered too. Seems your US military has gone the wal mart way and buys cheap and forget the quality .

I used to work for these people, not space and defence , the avionics division :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So if any MIB are watching.. I don't know anything and have never seen any aliens !

I used to go to that site sometimes , they gave me a nice marconi baseball hat . And I had a very strange experience there once, i've never mentioned it to anyone before , at an open day they had beer tents in the car park kind of day.. i took my friends there for free beer and I went around the perimeter of the buildings looking for a place to pee, last thing i remember was looking through a window and coming back to my friends over an hour later, I thought id only gone 5 minutes.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Nice little jab , but it's no surprise. When i was in the USAF everything always went to the lowest bidder, but things were up to spec aswell. However i do not think the US military are the only ones doing this...

"I am a professional in supplies and I have to go out and do what I can and I may have to beg or barter. I'm sick of being referred to as a 'Flintstone' or a 'Borrower' by the Americans."

link

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
Point of fact, the Euro is not backed by gold. It is a fiat currency just like the dollar.

This is not entirely correct. The current reserve assets of ECB (European Central Bank) has 10.6 billions and Eurosystem has 194 billions of Euros worth of gold, so we can say Euro is partially backed by gold.

Eurosystem

ECB

I know for sure, when my country accepted Euro as national currency, our national central bank transfered its gold reserves to ECB.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by yanchek]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Perhaps take a look at the CPU inside your computer,

Perhaps, being an AMD, it was made in Germany..... Duh..

perhaps take a look at your OS while your at it.

Tis a pirate copy of Windows, but congratulations on releasing a buggy, pile of crap OS that takes 5 years of patches to get right.

Maybe even go over some defense contracts? Where do you think your tridents come from?

I don't EVER remember purchasing any defence equipment, nor do I recall owning any Tridents....

But, seeing as you brought it up, the Trident programme wasn't about buying the best missiles available, but it was rather a political deal. In the 50's and 60's we had a rocket programme that created some excellent machines, but we were bought off by "one of our friends"...

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   

True, but what about the revenue made from it? Does that not go into the American economy?

That was basically my point, people have short memories its seems when it comes to most of the products that they use on a day to day basis, were designed, researched and created by US companies. It really angers me when i see people from Europe and the like just blather on as if the US has never done ANYTHING worth value. Its ridiculous and obvious bias.

That wasn't my point though and you know it. I mentioned the lack of US manufactured goods and you just proved it for me.

Also, very little of the locally generated revenue will make it back to the US, due to local taxes, wages. Alot of companies will create smaller versions of themselves in a particular region, often to get round taxes etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join