It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis' exclusion from Ancient Maps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Perhaps Plato is referring to Athens as a people and not a city. The Athenians may have built a new city after the great calamity. Perhaps even the city of Athens is actually older than we know.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
So how does one fit the fact that Athens went to war with Atlantis, considering Athens was clearly after this cataclysm?

This points to the account of the war between Athens and Atlantis (called Atala in The Mahabharata) to be inaccurate. There may indeed have been a war but it was not with Atala, as Athens might not have yet existed.

Plato received his information about Atlantis through an older relative. The texts of ancient India are a much more accurate source of information about Atala.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
ok first of all Atlantis wasnt a city it was an empire

second atlantis exists today (or atleast the tip of whats left)

it is the portuguese islands of Acores and Madeira

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard
This points to the account of the war between Athens and Atlantis (called Atala in The Mahabharata) to be inaccurate. There may indeed have been a war but it was not with Atala, as Athens might not have yet existed.

Plato received his information about Atlantis through an older relative. The texts of ancient India are a much more accurate source of information about Atala.

And it would be very nice to see this source

I state again: we cannot pick apart Platos description of Atlantis. Its impossible to tell what is true, slight fiction or just plain false, only Plato is qualified to say exactly what is what and its kind of hard to ask him. "might not", "may indeed"... Bah!

Plato is probably rolling around in his grave laughing his ass off.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

The ancient texts of India provide us with a much more detailed description of the Atlantean civilization and its technology than the account of Plato. The latter received his information not from direct documentation, but through the oral tradition. Oral tradition is never as accurate as written documentation.

Do a search on The Mahabharata. I also mention more about this in other recent posts in other related threads.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
why don't you link to the Maharabata where it mentions anything to do with Atlantis at all

bet you can't

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kerkinana walsky

Unless you can read Sanskrit, which I doubt, then you have to rely on the meticulous translations of the scholarly researchers that have been brought to light here and elsewhere in ATS.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
right so you can't link to an english version of that poem that mentions atlantis either, thats a little odd isn't it

theres a reason for that you know
it doesn't mention Atlantis anywhere in the book

but please

prove me wrong
I'd love it

are you saying that if I could read sanskrit then I would see Atlantis written somewhere in the book ?
well I have friends who read sanskrit
please give me a list of chapter and verse which mention Atlantis and I'll ask them to look it up

[edit on 21-11-2007 by kerkinana walsky]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   

It is not the job of anyone in ATS to spoon feed those too lazy to do some research.

But I will baby you a little...

In ancient Indian texts, Atlantis is referred to as Atala.

The Mahabharata

Have fun

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard

It is not the job of anyone in ATS to spoon feed those too lazy to do some research.

But I will baby you a little...

In ancient Indian texts, Atlantis is referred to as Atala.

The Mahabharata

Have fun

you made an unsubstantiated post based on your misunderstanding of the Maharabata

it actually says nothing about Atlantis which plato described as a continent
the Atala it mentions is just an island

if you had done the research you claimed to have then you would know that Atala is the sanskrit word for the underworld
which was described as an island in most ancient world cultures mainly because people believed it was over the sea somewhere because they knew it wasn't local

so its not a case of spoonfeeding anything
its a case of finding out what youre talking about before you make unsuportable statements about it

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerkinana walsky
it actually says nothing about Atlantis which plato described as a continent
the Atala it mentions is just an island

Are there any corroborating sites in our foreseeable future or are we just to accept your theories as the absolute truth?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
are you asking me to spoonfeed you now ?
I thought you said that wasn't a good idea

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Right kerk, you just keep working on that and get back to us if you ever manage to do so.

In the meantime, Atala was not "just an island."

The Vishnu Purana (circa. 2000 B.C.), one of the oldest of the Hindu Puranas, speaks of Atala, the "White Island," one of the seven dwipas (islands) belonging to Patala (Book II, chaps. i, ii, and iii). This old text locates Atala geographically on the seventh (heat, or climate) zone, which according to Francis Wilford (the translator) is 24 to 28 degrees north latitude, putting it in the same latitude as the Canary Islands just off the North African coast. Col. Wilford rightly calls Atala, "Atlantis, the White Island". (Wilford, 1808)

The Mahabharata (circa. 600 B.C.) also refers to "Atala, the White Island", which is described as an "island of great splendour." It continues: "The men that inhabit that island have complexions as white as the rays of the Moon and they are devoted to Narayana . . . Indeed, the denizens of White Island believe and worship only one God." (Santi Parva, Section CCCXXXVII)

This well-known Sanskrit epic contains more than one account of a powerful islandic empire in the Atlantic which sank to the bottom of the "Western Ocean" following a horrendous war. It doesn't take much imagination to link Atala with Atlantis.

ANCIENT WRITINGS: Pre-Platonic Writings Pertinent To Atlantis

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
R. Cedric Leonard is not a good source

While generally credible, Leonard’s career in Anthropology has been marred by his insistent interest in the fields of ancient UFOs and Atlantis

en.wikipedia.org...

you don't believe me thats fine
you believe a sanskrit dictionary ?

students.washington.edu...

atala
a-tala mfn. having no beach or shore, precipitous Śāk
• m. a precipice
• the third hell

tala means "place"

"a" added to "place" in sanskrit means no place, in the same way that an a added to any english word turns a positive into a negative

e.g. Aceramic

anyone claiming that Atala = Atlantis can't read sanskrit

[edit on 21-11-2007 by kerkinana walsky]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cormac mac airt

Some ancient maps that include impossible places to recognize, like South America and North America, also include the Antarctic , which again would have been impossible until recently.

The only difference is they claimed Antarctica was inhabited.

For instance:

I would say it may not be illogical to guess that perhaps this is where Atlantis used to be..

But who knows, it could have been a fairy tale, or it could have been a city on North or South America.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
that map doesn't show Antartica anywhere on it
you have been conned

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Howdy Cormac

You are showing the old Piri Reis map I beleive

If that map is overlaid on a modern map you can see it doesn't include Antarctica

Piri Reis superimposed on a modern map - the purple lines are the turkish map

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If you wrap the tail of South America around the edge of the skin it was drawn on in order to get it all on there, that pretty much explains why it looks the way it does.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It doesn't take much imagination to link Atala with Atlantis.

What a great conclusion. My conclusion: It still takes imagination, period.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Agreed, and Earth could of been warmer then to live on the continent, yet I still see chances of Atlantis existing in the ocean where studies have taken scientists to India, as mentioned, also, the Floridian/Bermuda coast has been speculated.

All that's surely speculation to me, until some recent discovery proves otherwise; as per records/maps of, should there of been records, a lot could of been destroyed from years of war and reign of tyrants through the Roman and earlier ages... in the Mayan research I'm doing, only three codices remain and a couple of other writings from Spanish rule takeover. Plus, this is a much later time period.

Lastly, I imagine the study of cartography could prove useless to any land buried or occupied throughout map existence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join