It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Santas Asked Not to 'Ho Ho Ho'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Australian Santas Asked Not to 'Ho Ho Ho'

www.foxnews.com

He is an unlikely revolutionary, but this Christmas, Santa is a rebel with a claus.

He is having the last laugh on political correctness — and it's a great big fat belly laugh.

Santas across Sydney, Australia, are rebelling against attempts to ban their traditional greeting of "ho, ho, ho" in favor of "ha, ha, ha."

Recruitment firm Westaff — which supplies hundreds of Santas across the country — has told its trainees that the "ho ho ho" phrase could frighten children and could even be derogatory to women.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.aol.com

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have to be honest, I feel like I dropped a few IQ points after having read this article. This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever witnessed. Political Correctness has really gotten out of control, but this takes it to a whole new level. Santa can't say "Ho Ho Ho" cause it might offend a few women... hey! If they didn't act like hoes maybe they would not be offended!!

Instead of "Ho Ho Ho" they want to make Santa sound like a pedophile and say "Ha Ha Ha". Just think about it... "Little Boy come sit on Santa's lap and tell me what you want for Christmas HA HA HA" It makes Santa sound like a pervert! Not to mention if this happens in the US, Santa is going to get beat down. I can hear people now stopping dead and saying "What are you laughing at Santa?!"

Seriously though, being PC has reached a whole new level and if this story does not show you just how ridiculous it has become, then I don't know what to tell you. I can't wait to her from our friends down under to see what they think about this.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
When i heard this on the news the other night i have a good ol laugh even more so considering Aussies dont even use the term "ho" in a degrotory way like the Yanks do.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yeah I passed the Santa in Parramatta Westfield (Sydney) this Saturday -- I was sure to listen out for the 'Ha ha ha,' but he didn't say anything. I think most of the Santas are a little less boisterous this year due to the new stipulations.

You have to admit 'ha ha ha' just isn't Christmas. In fact, I think kids will just be confused and realize that he must be a fake since the only the real Santa says 'ho ho ho.'

Soon they'll allow women to be Santa for equal opportunities. Before you know it kids won't be allowed to sit in Santa's lap either (actually I thought that would happen before the 'Ho' thing).

[edit on 18/11/07 by Evasius]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or dump snow down your collar, or in our Aussie friends' case, dump any holiday sand in your shorts, but:

The whole "Santa" holiday concept has been subverted/perverted by greedy corporate interests to promote the concept of unrestrained consumption.

"Santa" is a whore!

Why shouldn't he advertise it?

Ho Ho Ho, indeed!

Originally posted by section8citizen
I have to be honest, I feel like I dropped a few IQ points after having read this article.

That's why I avoid Faux News like the plague, I need to retain all the brain cells I can.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I disagree. I don't think Santa is the whore, it's the way the whole holiday season has been totally commercialized. It is not about Jesus, or family, or good will. Instead it is about who spends the most money to show how much you care. It is about toys, gifts, a good meal and a couple days off of work.

Over all these years, Santa has not changed. People's perceptions of the season are what has changed, and not for the better.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by section8citizen

Well you may not think "Santa's" a whore, but he sure has been used like one.

Since waaaay back in the day....

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Now THAT I agree with. Santa has been totally used up by society in general.

I just love how we are all talking about "Santa" as if he were a real live person

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

YOU MEAN HE ISN'T A REAL PERSON!!!????

LOL

You got that right!

And yeah, the distinction is subtle but true, the original concept of "Santa Claus," "Father Christmas" et al, bears no resemblance to the corporate shill foisted upon the modern "Christmas" celebrating parts of the world to buy, Buy, BUY!!.

Maybe it would be better for the dept. store "Santas" to cry out:

Spend!, Spend, Spend!

Or, more to the truth of it in these trying times:

charge, Charge!, CHARGE!!

Bah, HumBug!!

Thanks for the OP section8citizen, good find!

Flagged & Starred!

Allow me to be the first(?) to wish you a Happy Holidaze!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I just love how we are all talking about "Santa" as if he were a real live person

ROFL!!!

I hate political correctness, and everyone that practices it to excess.
It was a stupid idea to make Santa's say Ha Ha Ha, especially in Australia. I could imagine something like this working in the USA, but not here.

While I'm on it, I also hate people that flaunt their anti-Political Correctness. Bloody try-hard losers.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
HA HA HA!

Santa: HA HA HA!
Child: What you laughin' at, Santa?
Santa: YOU!
Child: *whimpers*

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
So... what's next?

Salvation Army Santas having to trade in their bells for ringless versions?

... can't have THAT noise pollution now either.

Me thinks "for the safety and good of all" has yet again been redefined.

... won't be long before a popcorn fart in a theater warrants further inquiry. :shk: a fine, too.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
One of the most ridiculous things I've seen in some time. This P.C.
stuff is a lot of nonsense. What next? Change the word hotel?

Ho, Ho, Ho.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
goosdawg- Happy Holidays to you as well.

watch the rocks- I agree. Political Correctness is just completely out of control. I also can see this working in the US.

12m8keall2c... It is really funny you say that because I could have swore I heard that the Salvation Army Santas were trading in their bells for something else for some stupid reason. I know I heard that on a newscast a while back. I just can't remember what state I was in. I will have to look around and see if I can find something about that, but I know I heard it.

Santa Clause of today means nothing anymore. To kids he is some big fat guy who gives you stuff. You don't even have to be naughty or nice, he will bring you stuff no matter what you do. For kids anymore, it is like they are owed by Santa.

For Adults it is all about buying stuff. That's it. Spend money, eat food, get a couple days off then go back to work to pay for all the stuff you just bought.

Christmas is pathetic anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
oh my,

ho ho ho,isnt event a word/phrase,its a sound-form of laughter and its been around since 1150
en.wikipedia.org...

i doubt very much that anyone else in history has ever complained about its usage,its how some scandinavians laugh right!?.

who are these malignant wraiths infesting society?

i want to meet one of them in a dark alley!

[edit on 18-11-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Christmas is pathetic anymore.

ONLY if you let it be...

Communing with family and or friends Should Always be a joyous occasion... endearing to the heart, if you will.

Sad that it's So transparently portrayed and promoted otherwise...

Closer to the heart, my friend. Closer to the heart...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Maybe you are right, but for now I am going with the Bah Humbug stance

Well I found what I was thinking about with the Salvation Army Santas bell ringing. Target, Home Depot, Circuit City and Best Buy had banned the Salvation Army from collecting at their stores. It was not just the Santas but everyone who rings the bell. It had nothing to do with the bells like I thought, but it was all about their solicitation policies. What it really was is a lot of nonsense, story was reported on back in 2004 and can be found HERE

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Well I found what I was thinking about with the Salvation Army Santas bell ringing. Target, Home Depot, Circuit City and Best Buy...

I never liked those ding-a-lings anyway...

Call me a curmudgeon or a Scrooge, but I always felt like they were trying to guilt me into contributing to their sectarian ministry.

Ho Ho, Oh get outa here!

Of the stores listed I've got a personal boycott running against three outa the four anyway.

Give you a hint at which store I still shop: I don't get my underware at BestBuy!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

G'Day from across the ditch! It has HAPPENED, In Kaitaia (pronounced Ky tya!) they banned kids from sitting on Santa's knee last year!
I have been a Santa for our village and the kids love a quick hug from the bewhiskered fat guy.

What happened to a real childhood and 'jingle bells'.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
everytime a salvation army persons bell rings,
boondock wants to strangle them[/christmas story]

all christmas is, is about spending money.
simple as that

top topics

<<   2 >>

join