It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran eyes nuclear options abroad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Iran eyes nuclear options abroad

news.bbc.co.uk

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is to discuss with Arab nations a plan to enrich uranium outside the region in a neutral country such as Switzerland.
He made the announcement in an interview for Dow Jones Newswires in Saudi Arabia where he is attending a petroleum exporters' summit.

Gulf Arab states recently proposed setting up a consortium to provide nuclear fuel to Iran and others.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
so Iran is considering to enrich in a country such as Switzerland, good for Iran. i wounder what the US and french will come up with now if this goes through

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The US and the French are actually behind the idea.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I am happy to see that Iran is looking for options, but what was wrong with the Russian deal?

I thought that Russia was going to provide the materials to Iran for the reactor?

Did Russia do or say something to Iran that is making them look for other sources?

Did Iran blow this deal with Russia by failing to meet all IAEA requests?

This is a very big change for Ahmadinejad since he was all about Iran doing things on their own. Why the change? Is this the first sign from Iran that the diplomatic efforts of the EU/US are working?

No matter the reason I hope this works out. I also hope that this isn't a cover for further Iranian nuclear research that will be kept secret. Sorta like using this as a diversion to continue doing nuclear activities that aren't reported to the IAEA. I'll wish for the best, but plan for the worst.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NJ Mooch

The russians?
the russians cant be trusted, they are screwing us over in europe
over Gas and Iran shouldnt even consider being relient on them

also PP , good call didnt know that

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

The russians?
the russians cant be trusted, they are screwing us over in europe
over Gas and Iran shouldnt even consider being relient on them

also PP , good call didnt know that

It is this kind of bigoted comment by "patriotic" Americans that causes trouble in the first place. The biggest threat and the biggest war criminals in the world are the USA....

The Russians can't be trusted????.....mmmm....me thinks that the USA has broken many, many international rules and treaties regarding Kyoto and the United Nations...... Think about that

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Merely another distraction. The only thing that matters is Israels take on the situation. I believe they will be the one to kick this off. All it would take is for Olmert to be replaced with a Hawk and it would be a done deal.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

hopefully the Israelis wont start something that could mean the end to them and the arabs and persions

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
To keep this thread on course, why is Iran looking for other ways to get nuclear materials?

Is this a sign that diplomacy is working?

This idea was offered to Iran before but they didn't take it. Why?

Does anyone have the latest facts from the deal with Russia? Did it fall through?

This looks like a way for Iran to come out of a very bad situation that they had full control over the entire time. Maybe there is hope for them, but I already mentioned that they better not keep secrets from the IAEA since that started this mess.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I agree with the other poster that Iran is doing this as a distraction only. Of course they will be enriching uranium in secret.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by 4thDoctorWhoFan]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

They have chosen a Neutral country which they believe can be Trusted and which is a good move by Iran, as Russia can be swayed by most countries,

like almost all countries Iran will have nuclear secrets (not saying Weapons Secrets) but some parts will be secret
unless every Nuclear country already has a open door policy in showing how their nuclear reactor works and so on?

then i retract my statement.

on topic Iran has made a wise choice and hopefully they will go all the way through this.

and for the record i retracted my previous statement about the US and france after princes reply (before anyone else decides to PM)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

they want their meterail enriched in a neutral country
re-read the topic

they will get their fuel already made so they can use it in their reactors.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I have to say, this does sound like a wise move by Iran.
It's still not fair for them to be forced to be reliant on outside sources for their nuclear fuel when they are capable of producing it themselves, but hopefully this step will go towards building trust.

Iran is being amazingly accommodating in the face of the US and Israel's illegal threats of force over their perfectly legal nuclear program.

Kinda amusing to take a step back and look at who's really got the moral highground here.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This could be the peaceful solution we've been looking for. I hope Iran is seriously considering this and not playing political games.

Part of the deal, however, should be absolute transparency in both the foreign enrichment programme and Iranian domestic use of the enriched uranium by the UN. This is essential to keep nations like Saudi Arabia, Israel and West happy.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

hopefully the Israelis wont start something that could mean the end to them and the arabs and persions

That would probably be best.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
They are playing the game - and just put the USA in `check` - they judged the western mood when taking the british sailors and remember there not Arabs but persians.

there playing this loose and fast with lots of tangents - so whilst the bravado seems to be comeing from washington , you must wonder who is leading the game here.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It's a bit late considering they already have 3000 centrifuges running. Enriching uranium to a mere 4% for reactor fuel could be simply done at this point.

Maybe they want those centrifuges dedicated to the weapons grade stuff and are just tinkering with the reactor grade as a side show?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
On the subject in question, Ahmadinejad said:

"We will closely and positively study (the proposal)"

Iran has welcomed the plan but said it would not halt uranium enrichment on its own territory.

Reuters.com

I believe the latter is what the United States and Israel will take vehement issue with.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

so Iran is considering to enrich in a country such as Switzerland, good for Iran. i wounder what the US and french will come up with now if this goes through

news.bbc.co.uk

Switzerland eh, sounds like a double cross by the Illuminati.

Helping out Iran.

Bad, like the Joe Kennedy Jr. CT story. Go to them for help and
you get shot down.

Bad vibes four fold now. Like we can control them, after 9/11 you
should know we can't.

BBC UK... British Intel....stellar job on the history channel

I'm waiting for Bin Laden to say: Bush escaped.
Then CIA & UK Intel: Bush burnt up, can't id

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is an interesting development. But why this comment come from the President is beyond me, I would have expected this kind of announcement to come from some other source inside the Iranian government.

May be Iran has decided to play the North Korea game for a while, I mean all they need is to gain the knowledge of how to build a weapon, after they acquire that they can stop and start a weapons program when they see fit or at least give the impression to other western countries that they have the capabilities to create nuclear weapons, which at the end is something I could live with.

At the end also Iran has to be open for a full set of inspection from the IAEA and that would be the sticky point. But for now I think this is good news.

new topics

top topics

join