It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans should explore and settle under the oceans, and then we should go to Mars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Throughout human history, we have explored and settled our world till the only unexplored and unsettled areas left lay beneath the oceans for the most part anyway. It seems to me that we need to develop technology to settle underneath our oceans and use this tech to explore and colonize Mars. Earth’s population is expanding at a very fast rate, we will soon out grow this globe we call home IMO, even if we settled under the oceans.

Mars is the closest logical choice for this exploration and expansionism. Getting there and back I believe is doable, but actually colonizing would be a whole different issue. Buildings, infrastructure, greenhouses, manufacturing and refineries would have to be set up. This work done by humans would be slow and cumbersome not to mention dangerous.

NASA has been working on a possible solution, use robots to build a settlement for us before we arrive. They could launch thousands of different size robots each designed to perform certain tasks. Here is the link to a article on NASA plan NASA’s robots could build a civilization on Mars

LDF

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
They should explore the depths of the deep sea before exploring other planets. We've only scratched the surface of Earth (and dug it's oils and minerals out)...we're like cancer to this planet.

And underwater colony does sound interesting, but NASA seems to be keen on exploring other planets which may be able to hold us for life (it's what NASA does).

Colonize Mars? Do they have oil there???

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i agree that we should explore the oceans to find things from earths history (for historians) newfound spices(for zoologists) and giant squid (for cryptologist's)
and going to mars only benefits NASA

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
are you suggesting independent settlements that grow their own food and produce their own oxygen or just like apartments underwater ?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
are you suggesting independent settlements that grow their own food and produce their own oxygen or just like apartments underwater ?

I'm talking about cities that produce their own oxygen and food and whatever other resource they may need underwater. Then we can use this technology for a Marian colony/settlement.

Once on Mars they can't very well depend on Earth for the things they will need.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think I read somewhere the salt water almost makes it as difficult as colonizing in space, but if something goes wrong, the emergency crews are a lot closer

sign me up for the caribbean colony

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Once on Mars they can't very well depend on Earth for the things they will need.

We'll send everything they need to mars before humans get there. Water supply, oxygen,food, shelter etc.. After all the supplies are sent there then humans will get there and setup shop. Hopefully they send more supplies after we get there just in case. There's no oceans on mars so I don't know how training under the oceans will help when we get there?
But it would be neat to stay the weekend in a underwater habitat hotel with an ocean view.

This underwater hotel is in construction right now in Dubai and will provide 220 suites to stay in. The video of Hydropolis is in the youtube video selection above.
Hydropolis

[edit on 11/18/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Thats what I'm talking about but on a much grander scale. Good find!
Self contained living environments, then use this knowledge for applications on other worlds.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Great idea! Then we can invent vaccines that mutate our DNA and give us freakish powers, and turn little girls crazy and make them suck DNA from dead people, and have dudes in giant armored diving suits guard them!! I LOVE IT!!! Lol, in all seriousness though, since we haven't been able to get off this rock, we might as well try and colonize the whole thing. We might even be able to survive if a big comet hits.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yeah, If we can survive under the ocean in habitats then I'm sure we can survive on planets with them, or at least mars. I don't see why they can't find a cave and build a base inside of it so they won't feel the grunt of those mars winds and dust storms? I just hope I'm around when we land on mars and they take a high resolution video cam with them. I also think that technology is happening so fast that we might stumble onto something so big that it takes us to the ends and beyond our solar system.

I guess it doesn't hurt to dream

Besides, dreams is what has got us this far.

And the Dubai Hydropolis project is kind of a grand scale for a start and if it works then bigger scales will be built. Maybe even in much deeper depths of the ocean.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Wow thats crazy, Is that video for real? Its like bioshock gone real life.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

I think the one I embedded is just a animation of the Dubai hotels. But the Dubai videos A & B are real and I'm not sure if they have completed the project yet but it's under construction. I want to go to Dubai so bad.

Hydropolis

More Hydropolis

Wikipedia

top topics

join