It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massing in the streets: Couch rebels we are..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is something i have thought about recently: Where have all the demonstrators gone? Is it because of the bombardement of information through the media that the puplic masses don't venture out into the steets to tell whats on their heart? When I think of it I see cases in the media every day that makes me want to make a sign on stick and march outside. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I agree sure sometimes I feel like marching on DC, but you have got to make sure you have the facts right.

Letting the media stories get to you is just not a good idea, most of it is dramatized and colorful just to get better ratings. Do your own research and only take what you need from the headlines.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I second that. I've always been selective when it comes to relying on news. But still, it seems that we nowadays rely too heavely on debates on the web. Although its great to have forums, documentaries and blogs on the web with a huge span in opinions on different topics. Maybe if we settled down concentratingmore of our efforts on fewer causes we would have more of an effect and a louder voice?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
There are still demonstrations. There are a number of problems with them, however.

The President doesn't react to demonstrations.

Nobody exept National Guardsmen are being drafted to fight in Iraq (although plenty of private citizens are being drafted into the War on Terror).

www.usatoday.com...
www.theregister.co.uk...

Police work with media outlets to discredit protestors.

iclysdale.livejournal.com...

I attended a demonstration a few months ago. It was poorly planned and not terribly inventive in its approach. Nobody was willing to take a chance to have their message heard. If 15 people get arrested for civil disobedience, it sends a message; if 1 person gets arrested, it just makes the police $500.

A lot of people who attend large demonstrations are there for there for the thrill of facing off against the police, and not necessarily well-educated on the issues.

Demonstrations are not as shocking as they used to be. Now, what gets reported in the news is the fact that a demonstration occured, rather than the specific complaints held by demonstrators.

Q: Dude, did you see American Idol last night?
A: No man, I was working. I got to pay off my credit card.

(up until the 1980's, the credit industry encouraged people to SAVE rather than SPEND)

new topics

top topics

join