It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet: a net? A web? A trap?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I've been on the 'Net since about 1988-ish. We used a character based interface and learned UNIX commands and had shell accounts.

It wasn't until the early 90s that the word 'web' was used when the first WWW pages came out.

You could look up that stuff, but my recall is pretty close. Before 1987 we were on BBS systems and FIDO-net and soforth. I think I got my first modem around 1985, and before that we used the computers at school (an AT&T-6300 was my first machine with an 8086 chip). Sucker cost me almost $2000 bucks which I took out a freakin' loan to buy. It had two floppy drives and no modem.

My first exposure to PCs was the IBM Displaywriter which used huge 8" floppy disks. That might have been 1982-ish. The secretaries in our office had them.

Anyway... point is the 'web' was a much later term.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Victory Faust

i must admit that im a dunce when it comes to technichal stuff, but cant anyone just go to the nearest or furthest library or whatever, open a yahoo account under a ficticiuos alias, come and go at random, without being detected no matter what they do online...now the term onlinell have me picturing fish being hooked for a short while! a few more postings and ill check to see if my u2u function is functional yet...good point though overall...someone had to bring that up, so thanks

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The internet was created out of the idea of having military computers communicate with each other. The first "network" was actually what would be considered a LAN today. Out of this research came much more basic function than the WWW, email, etc. The TCP/IP protocols which allow computers to communicate with each other over a network was the original intention and the internet and everything else that came with it, from the WWW, to email, and FTP, came later on. Not to mention the obvious practical implications for business networks as well.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If forces of evil need information about what we know about them, it only makes them smarter in hiding their ways. So in turn we could be helping the agenda of evil too. But at the same time no living Earth being nor the Devil can calculate or observe every move but a little helps so along the way we are in a poker game and some times we win or lose but the stakes are higher.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The reason why it's called the "net" is because it is a network of computers. I don't know why it's called the "web" though.

Seriously, people look too much into things...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If we are speaking Apocalyptic terms the internet and world trade that probably depends on computers now will be held ransome to this technology. Can it be used against us? Yes it can and can it be used to globally effect everything probably would. But can organisations tap into people's lives and movements through this? Yes they do and that is just man him self. Terminator 3 makes a good point of the internet and Skynet, guess it's not too far fetched.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

There is no central core, there never was.

Wouldn't it be nice if "bang" one day we suddenly knew exactly who the enemy was?

I love the Terminator series.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by The time lord

There is no central core, there never was.

Wouldn't it be nice if "bang" one day we suddenly knew exactly who the enemy was?

I love the Terminator series.

But the Terminator Films have very Biblical meanings to it also. Revelations 13 speaks about the Image of the Beast having power to talk.
Modern technology could fit that as a ROBOT or even TV it self having the ability to make people worship within their own homes or on their Mobiles of maybe a pre recorded message that a false God will want to self praise with.

[edit on 15-12-2007 by The time lord]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I remember the first search engine I ever used back in the early 90's. www.webcrawler.com was the name. It's still up and running. It use to be called the super information highway but was shortened to web, the web. It defines the structure of connected servers and end users. Between each connecting thread of the web is called nodes.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Victory Faust

Welcome to the ugly trap called, ATS. Were people will gut you and tear you apart cause they don't care and know that they cannot get into trouble, unless it's by a ban... Granted that's only like ¾ of the people here. The other ¼ wish to understand truth, and to help deny real ignorance.

However, yes the Internet is a giant Web that allows all users to have access to everything, even what you write here, there, everywhere. I searched a word the other day on google and it came up with everything I had written about over the past 15 years.... I started going to those places, relogging in, and changing my information, erasing my signatures, changing my addresses and such... kinda like covering up my tracks, even though most has already been archived.

[edit on 15-12-2007 by WalkOn]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well for new users my advise is that it's an open book really, people will read about this page and it's open to the world.

But what of it? I write what I want because that part of the world is free and not some restricted place where I should not tell my views. But if people wanted to harm others they could and they would too. That is a risk and those that want to employ a Satanic sytem upon all of us will do so because they lack faith and will do the Devils work and just be another Orwellian prophecy of 1984 in which the Jigsaw of this future will span out to be.

You either have to stay or leave the internet or keep it pure in what you do. I just enjoy my self I hope there are no restrictions to that by some future change in law.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join