It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shades of Lazar- Element 115 created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040203/ap_on_sc/new_elements_5

Well, they've finally recreated element 115 in the lab. Does this change anyone's opinion on Bob Lazar's claims?

Even though I'm in the minority, I've always believed him for some reason. He just seems honest.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Didn't he say element 115 was stable? The article says something different about that:

In the artificial environs of the cyclotron, atoms of element 115, now labeled ununpentium, apparently lasted less than one-tenth of a second before it decayed into element 113.

Although a halftime of near 0,1 second is a lot longer than I expected, it isn't stable at all. This isn't a very good sign of the credibility of the rest of the stories Lazar told us. I thought he was wrong first, but now I'm really convinced.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"In nature, scientists theorize, they would belong to a special class of superheavy elements that have a much longer life because the shell-like structure of their nuclei contain the highest numbers of precisely arranged protons and neutrons."

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Well, they've finally recreated element 115 in the lab. Does this change anyone's opinion on Bob Lazar's claims?

It doesn't change mine. He has lied and spread misinformation for years... and he's dug himself such a huge web of lies that he can't conveniently slip out of it. Much of the UFO community simply sneers at him.

It's kind of funny to see one of his pet statements get the whammy like that. The properties he always claimed for Element 115 were impossible and didn't fit with what we know of chemistry, physics, and everything else.

I'm kind of wondering if he'll pull the Nancy Liederer (Planet X nutcase) trick and start making up things about how what the scientists discovered really WASN'T element 115. Heaven knows the failure of Planet X to show up last May and destroy the Earth hasn't stopped HER!

He has no integrity. I wouldn't put it past him.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenkins
"In nature, scientists theorize, they would belong to a special class of superheavy elements that have a much longer life because the shell-like structure of their nuclei contain the highest numbers of precisely arranged protons and neutrons."

I think that's the explanation for the very high 0,1 s (for 115) and 1 s (for 113) decay time. A lot of those high elements don't last very long. Still, it isn't stable.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It doesn't change mine. He has lied and spread misinformation for years... and he's dug himself such a huge web of lies that he can't conveniently slip out of it. Much of the UFO community simply sneers at him.

Ok, lets say Lazar's a disinfo agent. By definition disinformation contains both truth and falsehoods right? So maybe the Element 115 information was one of the true elements of his story.

I don't believe Lazar just because I WANT to. There's lots of people out there with stories I want to believe but don't. I just.....think he's telling the truth. It's one of those gut instincts, a hunch I suppose.

By they way, I've heard some of the arguments against Lazar's story, but what have you guys (ATSers) seen that makes you think he's spreading disinformation?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Lazar is mostly telling the truth but there are somethings it is better he not say for obvious reasons.

What is interesting about this story is that I have come across other accounts of the creation of ununpentium before, so is this really new?

My understanding is that ununpentium is the start of the stable superheavy elements. Thus, is it stable? Not sure, it likely can be under the right conditions. It may also require a certain quantity to exist to assist stability (if that makes any sense physicists?).

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
But Lazar claimed it was once you had enough 115 together that it becomes stable. I know from an elemental standpoint that makes NO SENSE, but in his gravity heavy arguement it kind of does. He said in quantities it is stable, yet when you bombard off small amounts it burns clean/disentigrates, leaving virtually no waste. There's his answer.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The weak nuclear force that causes decay is completely independant from gravity, as far as we know. Maybe a Grand Unified Theory will change that, but we haven't got a good working one yet. The gravity of a larger amount of the element can't stop the decay. Wouldn't earth's gravity have stopped it then already?

Now, it is true that above a certain temperature and pressure the electromagnetic and weak force become the same force. I don't really know what happens then, but the amounts of energy needed to get to such a state can not be reached yet for large amounts. It might be that large amounts under extreme pressure and temperature will have the electromagnetic force influencing decay, but I don't know of any mechanism that could stop decay. I don't enough of that field of science. It still sounds unlikely to me, though.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
mabe the creation of element 151 as a unstable element is something like anti matter when it is created in labs it is unstable but it exist in the universe so it has to be stable out there somewhere just the fact that 151 has been created adds some meritt to lazars claims

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Antimatter is just as stable as normal, in labs and in space. The normal is when the two mix and that happens a lot quicker in labs. It was logical this element had to be created some time and I don't think this adds any credibility to his claims. Any scientist would have predicted this.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If this helps ya any.....

www.gravitywarpdrive.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
A topic about this was already started:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join