It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping Cars with Radiation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Stopping Cars with Radiation

I hope this hasn't already been posted yet, but I found a interesting article about a new system to stop cars. It mostly has to do with directing a beam of radiation at a car to the car's internal computer. However, it looks like the military is looking at the technology too. They listed that the system may burn the skin and/or possibly cause cancer as well.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
What would the military do with it? That kind of energy would bounce right off of metallic armours...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wait what? Aircraft Carriers? How did they jump from cars to aircraft carriers? Why exactly would you mount this on an aircraft carrier?

And, I don't think metallic armor bounces microwaves off.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't know, I heard that it goes through some types of metal. Maybe the military will modify it in someway to take down airplanes and armored vehicles.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
This may be related. Radiation will raise havoc with solid state electronics. The super precision metal cutting lathe I will picture here is widely used in the nuclear and defense industry. These are also used at one national laboratory for machining plutonium. Operations are conducted through a glove boxed room, that is the operator is outside the room using sealed gloves to operate the lathe.
The electronics on this machine is vacuum tubes, very large and expensive ones. Vacuum tubes are not effected by radiation as transistors are.
Radiation can penetrate steel and iron, thus the use of lead and lead shot concrete for shielding high radiation areas.
This is the last screw cutting engine lathe still made in America, prices start at $100000.
s170.photobucket.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Wait what? Aircraft Carriers? How did they jump from cars to aircraft carriers? Why exactly would you mount this on an aircraft carrier?

And, I don't think metallic armor bounces microwaves off.

Shattered OUT...

I think the author of the article meant that the system could be carried by automobiles or aircraft, not that it was intended for use aboard CV / CVNs. I had the same first reaction that you did, but reading the rest of the article (particularly the 15 meter range) caused me to go back and re-examine that sentence.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chyort

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about how U.S. builds all aircraft to be able to resist EMPs up to a certain level, so Im not too sure this device could be used on Aircraft (Unless the rest of the world isnt EMP proofing their equipment.)

Then again, I could be wrong.

top topics

join