It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Wages War On The VA Who Is Screwing Our Wounded Veterans

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

When I first was told about this and went to the shortcuts provided, read the article, then watched the movie clips, I had to stop a few minutes, take a break, and calm down. I can’t think of another time when I have been angrier about the United States Government Veteran’s Administration and how our returning wounded military men and women from Iraq are being treated. I think it is shameful, I think it is disgusting and I think this country needs to stand up and rake politicians and bureaucrats over the coals to insure that there will NEVER be another veteran who has to suffer or go through the humiliation of what you are going to read and see.

Dave

CLICK NOW To See How Wounded Iraq Veterans Are Getting Screwed

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well it is nice to see the media doing its job instead of the usual lazy reporting and fudging of facts. Yep its the same media that the pro war crowd accuse of being "Liberal " that is looking out for vets by highlighting there disgraceful treatment. In terms of the treatment of vets the US should take a leaf out of Australia book.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave Rabbit

Like you Dave, I am Vet and like you I had to take a break after reading/viewing this...

I am beyond angry, I am disgusted.

mark...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
um, I hate to be the one to say this, but why is it the american peoples responsibility to give him money for free, for the rest of his life, and him to sit on his but and do nothing all day?

I realize that war sucks, and I realize that being hurt sucks. He should definately recieve the medical care he needs for free, but why should the american people be responsible to feed him, and his family he has or wants to have.

I think a better alternative would be to find jobs for him within the government that can use him. He can still work, even if its just sitting at a desk.

before I end this though, I am not disagreeing about the medical care, I agree we need to treat him completely and throughly, but I believe in workfare, not welfare. Anybody can work, even if its simply filling out forms all day, or answering emails, changing diapers, cooking food, etc.

I truly hopes he gets what he needs medically, as well as any other disabled vets out there. Thank you for your service.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The link wasn't working, probably a good thing since I know anger causes heart issues, but I've read over this subject before and it makes me so angry how the VA is treating our soldiers. CNN deserves an applause for this one. This should be thoroughly investigated and anyone who is caught in money laundering should be placed right at the center of all of our vets whose documentation, finances and rights have been denied. Shame on the VA.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by laiguana]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I hate to be the one to say this, but why is it the american peoples responsibility to give him money for free?

Okay, I'll bite to the troll. The reason why this fellow should be given his VA pension and medical disability payments (if they pay these in America?) is because he put his life on the line so you could whinge and wine about him receiving payments for 'free'. You are wrong! He does not receive them free, he used part of his skull and brain, part of his left arm and right fingers, and a visage you would not wish to own in your worst nightmare as unintentional downpayment. I should think it was not a radical premeditated plan on his part to be a financial vampire upon the American people.

Your post strains incredulity with its lack of conscience.

[edit on 18/11/07 by elysiumfire]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by camain

um, I hate to be the one to say this, but why is it the american peoples responsibility to give him money for free, for the rest of his life, and him to sit on his but and do nothing all day?

We owe it to them because of what he did. Went to war. Did you go to war? No, during war times the citizens go about life as normal, no problems while others sacrifice everything, often their body and lives... I would suppose not everyone feels compassionate enough to support them when they come back maimed from our governments actions.

I realize that war sucks, and I realize that being hurt sucks. He should definately recieve the medical care he needs for free, but why should the american people be responsible to feed him, and his family he has or wants to have.

Because of his service he cannot have a normal job, a lot of vets come back missing body parts, burns over much of their bodies, and so they cannot support their families.

Perhaps you prefer them to be on street corners with cardboard signs begging for food.

I think a better alternative would be to find jobs for him within the government that can use him. He can still work, even if its just sitting at a desk.

This would be more expensive and wasteful.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by camain

This type of thought is what really blew me away when I came back from Desert Storm. I've been in situations where I heard bullets whiz crack past my head, seen a fellow Marine get hit with a round that ricocheted off the wall right next to me and had a buddy come back with a bum leg thanks to a mortar round. I've gone with nothing but adrenaline to keep me goin while the thought "Please God dont let me die" runs nonstop thru my head. Then I come back to the States and its like a different almost surreal world, nothing is different nor seemed to change. People goin about their very boring very peaceful very SAFE lives without a clue to how very precious their lives are! You're right, we dont owe him a thing except for one thing, he volunteered and so do thousands like us, and he payed dearly for it, so you will never be FORCED to do what you could never comprehend!!!

To paraphrase what a brave soldier once wrote at Khe Sanh, "To those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know..." or apparently want to pay for...

[edit on 19-11-2007 by Darkweave]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It is shameful the way that the government is screwing the vets and I give credit to CNN for highlighting this issue. Wasn't CNN one of the first to break the story on the horrid conditions at the VA hospital in DC? It is good to see them on the side of the troops on this one.

This particular case is absolutely disgusting because of the obvious damage that has been done to the guy. But there are FAR more less obvious cases out there. I really think that the PTSD fallout of this war is going to be way worse than what we saw from Vietnam. Many of the troops are coming back with some serious psychological damage and the VA is turning its back on them.

People seem to just look at the death count and think, hey... 4000 troops over 4 years isn't bad at all. What they aren't realizing is that guys like the one in this CNN article would have been a fatality in other wars. Our advances in medical treatment are keeping guys alive but permenantly disabled. I would imagine that some people view it as a good thing, but I would bet that a lot of these guys would prefer to have died rather than face life without a face, legs, functioning brain...etc. It is going to be sad to watch the growing number of vets that come home, unable to cope with their new reality.

I am a vet myself and my heart goes out to these guys. Semper Fi.

Also, if you haven't already seen it, you should watch the HBO special on vets coming home from Iraq. It is called "Alive Day Memories.."

www.hbo.com...

[edit on 19-11-2007 by Karlhungis]

[edit on 19-11-2007 by Karlhungis]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
War a tragedy upon itself. I understand that everyone has an opinion but I couldn’t disagree more with Camain. This individual and of course many others who have lost through any war, whether we agree with that war or not, should be respected and treated with dignity. This individual, whether he believed in the war or not, has sacrificed more for his country and countrymen then just physical loss and pain, but continual psychological and emotional loss and pain. Being in a war from my understanding and from the posts before me is not a fall from the roof, sprained disk, disability claim. This individual should be supported in everyway including financially and by his family, community and government.

What a betrayal he must be feeling..

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Kudos to CNN for taking up the battle on behalf of the Vets.
Some of their reporters have first hand knowledge of battle conditions over there and the horrendous injuries that can be caused by a roadside bomb or a RPG round, unlike some politicians.
A lot of what they see, they have to suppress from the general public because of the fearsome graphic nature of the damage done to a human being.

As an ex serviceman of the Royal Navy I too saw the damage done during the Falklands war and still have the scars to show for it.
My salute to those still currently serving in harms way and to those who went before.

A middle digit to those who feel their country owes nothing these brave people who suffer so much for freedom. Yeah I got angry!

Thanks guys for showing us this.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The government is not only screwing the soldiers that is putting in harms way for a war that has nothing to do with my freedom of any other American's freedom but is also screwing the American people when it dumps the responsibilities of providing care and treatment for this soldiers coming back maimed.

I feel that is not the American people the one should be putting forward the money for treatment unless is voluntarily in the way of donations but it should be the war profiteers that made this war possible the ones to be force to pay for our soldiers care.

That is my take on the situation and if somebody wants to push the patriotic card on me sorry but in my book our soldiers has been used for personal agendas driven by the corruption that has taken over our political system.

Everybody take a hard look at what this war for profits is doing to our soldiers and we should be demanding and end to it but rather we keep telling ourselves that is all for freedom.

Is more where this one comes from as a matter of fact is hundreds of thousands of soldiers that will never be able to comeback into society and live a regular life anymore due to injuries.

Like many media outlets CNN is just showing what is good for them and what it sells.

I trust not media at all and neither their intentions.

[edit on 19-11-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

Camain... I think you pretty well showed what you are worth by the fact that you haven't replied to any of the criticisms and statements on you post.

I want to add just a little bit. First, I'm a Nam Vet... Just to adjust the picture for you...

You seem to think that taking care of someone who has put his life on hold, in the line of fire, then in the hands of budget minded people (the VA) who could care less, doesn't count.

You want him to work for his benefit. I suspect the young man will spend his life working, as much as he can considering the bredth and depth of his wounds.

It bothers me, greatly, that you or someone like you would think that Veterans, and especially disabled Veterans are looking to survive at the tit of the Veterans Administration. Vetereans are the ones who have gotten up every day, put on the uniform and gone to do a job for you, me, and every other mother and mother's son in this country... Hell... They even do it for the illegals who are here, right up to the moment they put it all on the line in a way that you probably never will have to.

If taking care of someone who goes and lays it all on the line for you when they need it doesn't fall into your philosophy then I suspect that there isn't anyoen who can educate you to what it's all about.

Funny thing is that there are a lot of folks on this web who might even suggest that you vacate the USA. I wouldn't do that... The fellow you want to take the rights from put himself on the line so people like you can make statements like a troll. I don't imagine he'd think it very cool to dump you out with the bath water.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow, Steep away for a couple hours, and the whole house is in a tissy.

K, first, I never said abondon the guy, or any veterans. I said that he should recieve all the the medical treatment possible to get him back to as normal as possible. This includes phychological treatments. He should also recieve re-education to assist with jobs within the government. I believe this is the case for any and all disabled vets, additionally it should apply to anyone on disability.

My beef isn't with taking care of him while he is hurt. My beef is still taking care of him 60 years down the road, Paying out money for him and other through taxes for him to sit at home all day and watch Days of our Lives.

Just because someone is disabled, it doesn't mean they can't work. People can run a fax machine, answer a phone, return emails, etc. There is absolutely no reason why he can do any of this after he has successfully completed treatments.

BTW, I am not trying to troll. This is a discussion about VA, as well as the care that they recieve after they are wounded. I also think its horrendous to not have them get the treatments that they need, or the care that they need. Its a proven fact that early intervention brings about the best resolutions.

Next, While I respect the men and women in uniform. I do so no more then anybody else. They signed up for a job, plain and simple. He knew the chances when he signed up, and if he or any other vet ignored them, they did so at there own conscious. I as well as every other American should not be forced to fit the Bill for people who are not willing to provide for themselves.

In conclusion. Do I think he should recieve treatment, absolutely. Do I think that treatment includes mental services, yes. Do I think I should have to pay for the rest of his life for his choices, NO.

There is something called personal responsibility. I am a firm believer in it, and think everyone should apply it.

Regardless, I wish him as well as everyone else here the best of luck in there treatment, and hope they can someday get off the system.

Cheers to you all, and happy holidays,

Camain

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Starred and Flagged, Dave.
I caught most of the show, and it was very powerful, both in terms of what so many have sacrificed for our country, and in terms of how they have been abandoned in their time of need.

One very powerful spot was the soldier who had severe injuries because of an IED exploding. The medical report said NON-SERVICE RELATED SHRAPNEL WOUNDS. Where the hell did he get them then??? Sorry for the all caps but that made me angry. And to top it off, the gutless bureacrat actually cut his/her signature name out of the report!

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Don't fret about the ALL CAPS, I was so friggin angry when this was brought to my attention I wanted to take my classic DR 2 X 4 and beat the living crap out of those idiots who are trying to save the government money by denying benefits and coverage to troops who obviously sustained their injuries in battle but have all these BS excuses now that they are NO MORE GOOD TO THE WAR MACHINE and just want to toss them in a pile like they did so many of the Vietnam Veterans.

Every hear of Ron Kovic or "Born On The 4th Of July" (the movie about Ron Kovic)?

The Story Of Ron Kovic

For those of you that uneducated about the history of the United States Government and the Veteran's Administration using soldier's as an expendable pawn and piece of meat that can simply be tossed aside when they have no more use for you, OPEN YOUR EYES!

[edit on 11/19/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hi There,

Step away for a couple hours, and the whole house is in a tissy.

You received a response appropriate for the post you made...its tone and context was wholly inappropriate to the soldier's suffering.

I feel that is not the American people the one should be putting forward the money for treatment...

They wouldn't have to if they got off their backsides and resisted the buffoons running the country of said Americans. In either case, it does not excuse the fact of the reason why this soldier ended up in Iraq, and in getting the appalling injuries he recieved. As a soldier, he does not have the same option of protest as you, he cannot say no to being shipped overseas into harm's way. Those whom do have the voice of protest have done little to even save their own liberty and freedoms as set down in that brilliant document called the Constitution.
The time will come (I feel) when the civvies will have to act both morally and physically to save their country, but sadly, this will not happen until the totalitarian noose nips at their necks as it tightens about them. You are being called to stand up for what you have taken thus far for granted...bear in mind that the Constitution that has guaranteed you your right to life and liberty unfettered and unassailed by the govenment, requires that you (not the military) fight for its principles to be upheld at all times. If you don't have the moral backbone to do that, if you don't have the character to resolve yourself to the steadfast ideas of life and liberty...well, morally, you cannot moan about a soldier receiving monies due him because of injuries received in combat.

I too totally and vehemently disagree with the conflicts in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I hate to see the armed-forces of both your country and mine doing the dirty work of criminals whom don't sacrifice anything of their own, but reap the vast rewards paid for by the flesh and blood and life of our soldiers. This is not a 'conscience' war, but one motivated out of greed and profit; the civillians of both your country and mine have the voices whom can speak and protest for our soldiers. Let us do what we can for them before many more are killed or maimed fighting a very unnecessary war with Iran.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
bout time, they need to also Look into the VA an the military denying GI Bills!

I payed into it and have been 100% denied. wheres my 2k? let alone my current going Gi Bill wage would of been 38k.

Are they backing out?

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

For somebody like me that has been long enough around to remember how our vets from Vietnam were treated by our government system, I don't want to see the horrors I witnessed in the streets for many veterans that were homeless, destitute and with injuries that ranged from mental disorders, drug abuse and disabilities and many didn't even had a medium to move around but on wood boards with wheels begging for food and pennies.

Thats how I remember the Vietnam vets in my Island of PR.

Nobody has to go through that kind of treatment hopefully now a days this type of sight will never grace the eyes of modern younger generation.

My father refused to be part of the system after he came back from Korea even now he has never set his foot on a vet hospital.

Now my father in law has not choice but to depend on vet hospital for his medical needs and he even tells that is just despicable.

We have a big number of young soldiers that while they are not wearing physical scars they will have mental scars for life and that group is one that has been forgotten because the governments wants to save money to keep feeding the war machine blood sucking complex at the expenses of our soldiers.

[edit on 19-11-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
elysiumfire, please review my first post. If my post was inflammatory, I apoligize. My beef isn't with treating the hurt and wounded. My beef is that by giving him/her a disability payment no strings attached for the rest of there life, you are enabling them to be a sloth on our society. I don't believe in welfare, S.S., or disability payments. Its a system designed to allow people to be lazy. I think they should all be scrapped and redone, but thats beside the point.

The issue at hand is Vets not recieving appopriate care after there fighting is over for whatever reason. Be it mental or physical. This I find disgraceful, as they did serve there country.

The question though is, How much is that service worth? I feel that its a job, just like any other job. As such, the benefits they recieve should correspond to the job market.

If I'm hurt in my job, they cover 100% of my medical care up to 1 million. After that, they drop the coverage. As far as disability insurance goes, I get 80% of my pay for 3 months, 60% for month 3 through 9, and 40% till the end of the year. If I don't go back to work I don't eat.

I'm not saying that this is what should happen to vets, because I don't feel that it is necessarily fair, but I do think the principle is fair. Once a person is physically healthy, a reduction of benefits should occur, that corresponds with mental treatment, and job skill adjustment and replacement. Additionally the VA should find them jobs within the government that they can do.

While the initial outlay is higher, not having them on a system indefinately not producing anything would cost more, IMO.

In closing, let me remind you that I have tried to be polite, please don't debase this thread with inflammatory remarks, as it just debases what it was originally created for(identifying an issue with VA treatment).

I hope these VET get all the treatment they need, and have some happy holidays. May whatever you believe in bless you, and grant you all serenity this holiday season.

Cheers,

Camain

top topics

<<   2 >>

join