It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian top secret nuclear submarine has been put in the water.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
(9 August 2003)
Project "Losharik". Russia builds world`s deepest nuclear submarine,it hit water at the Severodvinsk shipyad in the Barents Sea about a week ago, the Izvestia daily reported.
nuclearno.com...

He assigned high priority to the task of reviving the Russian submarine fleet as a major component of the defence potential.

Two years ago the Russian Navy inducted its first nuclear submarine, Gepard (Cheetah in Russian), after the break-up of the Soviet Union, and embarked on the rearmament of older submarines with the new long-range nuclear missile, Bulava-30.

Since 2001, Russia has also resumed global patrolling of the world ocean by its nuclear submarines.

posted on Feb, 1 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That submarine is hot!!!!! Now the Russians are going to make more and their navy will really be stronger than the U.S. Navy.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
anybody know where it's silence rates? is it comparable to an LA II? or is it even better? like Seawolf

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Its the most silent..

Just like Kilo-class is for SSKs.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
And if it can go to 6000m, thats about 10 times (or up to 20 times..) deeper tahn any operational todays sub can go safely..

I posted this on our forum earlier.. about Alfa, the current record holder..

Project 705 Lira, Alfa class Attack Submarine (Nuclear Powered).

This i belive is the current record holder for 'war submarines' what comes to depth..

And speed..

Of any navy..

Operating Depth 1,150-2,000 feet Maximum Safe Depth

Speed (kts):
14 knots surfaced
43-45 knots submerged

350.52 to 609.6 meters thats it..

And 43 to 45 knots..

Nobody in the west has ever even come close..

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ummm how Top Secret is it, if it's posted here?

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Anyone know why they need this? even if it does work as promised.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think the figures they are giving are exaggerated, 6000meters is a little excessive, that's incredibly deep, steel or titanium wouldn't be able to cut it down there, unless it's made of some carbon composite material or something similar (which is all very expensive, especially in those amounts) i dont believe it. And i also dont think its the most silent, for one thing, Seawolf is a hole in the ocean, you can't get more silent, for another, that would be jumping in capability for the russians from the equivilant of a flight I LA sub, to better then Seawolf? give me a break, they have no money to do something like that, and they dont have the technology, unless they stole it.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
First of..

Man has been able already to manufacture vehicles that can go to that 6000m..

Russia has least 2 maybe more, build and designed in Finland..

These subs also found Titatic..

a depth of 3,800 meters, at 41� 43' 55" N, 49� 56' 45" W, near Newfoundland.

They used SOVIET subs, build and designed in Finland and went to 3,800m..

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
yes but those are small submersibles with very thick hulls, not anything close to the design of combat submarines

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The basic design of combat submarines har already changed couple of times.. revolutionally.

(Late ww2 German U-boats, tear-drop hull, nuclear power, titanium hulls.. etc.. all big changes..)

And each change has been about 180 degree turn.. to the previous..

In the past submarines have been evolved, so why not today?

Anyhow.. the news are real and they are getting even better subs, and they always had the best subs.

(Maybe not the safest or the most silent, but more their subs have had and still have: better fire power, better torpedos, they are faster and dive deeper.. and also the silence issue is a matter of depate.. Kilo class SSKs are very silent also..)

US has nothing that even beats Alfa, not to even mention this new design.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sounds like Red October!

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Did I miss something? fulcrum never said that this particular submarine, that this thread is about, found titanic.
He said that russians have at least two more subs that can go down to 6000m.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
How long before we ware the Russians lost ANOTHER submarine? Seems they loose what, one a year? Not the best track record they have, or am I mistaken?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Yes..

MIR midget submarines..

Build for USSR in Finland..

And those did locate the Titanic..

But were not under Russian control at the time, but were leased by Americans..

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oswald
or am I mistaken?

You are.

Btw,

I think that USA has lost more subs than Russia / USSR..

Both in war and peace..

Check out this documentary..

"Lost Subs"

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
sounds like quite a weapons platform, although I do always doubt the Russians everytime they say they have this new all dominating weapon system.

Anyhow.. the news are real and they are getting even better subs, and they always had the best subs.

not true - US subs have been mutch better, as evidence of the fact that for the last 30 years The US navy has simultaneously pinged every sub in the Russian fleet! this is done a few times a year just to let them know that at any time the entire russian nuclear sub fleet could be tacken out within litterally the period of about 5-10 seconds. And the Russians never know the Yanks are there cause US SUBS ARE THE MOST SILENT......

But hey, that was the past, and if this one is as good as advertised then maybe the US has some work to do.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Intersting link, after searching about Russian subs lost at sea.

"There are six nuclear submarines on the ocean floor as a result of accidents or extensive damage. Four of the sunken vessels belonged to the Russian Northern fleet. Three sank because of accidents, the fourth was scuttled in the Kara Sea when it was decided that repair was impossible." - www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
That submarine is hot!!!!! Now the Russians are going to make more and their navy will really be stronger than the U.S. Navy.

i dont thikn so. you for get that the rushkies still have all thouse old POS's. theyll need a hell of a lot of those new submarines if they want to be a threat again

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Did they buy it with food stamps?

The Russian Economy is about the same size as that of Portugal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join