It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq

www.telegraph.co.uk

American commanders in Iraq are urging Pentagon chiefs to authorise the deployment of newly-developed heat wave guns to disperse angry crowds or violent rioters...
...tests (are) almost complete and the first ADS, also known as the Silent Guardian, could be deployed early next year if the Pentagon allows. The decision is so sensitive that it is expected to be made personally by the defence secretary, Robert Gates, who sent senior representatives to the demonstrations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

telegraph | US unveils 'heat gun'

telegraph | How I was zapped by a heat wave gun

[edit on 17-11-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So now they can zap unruly crowds with directed energy weapons.

I suppose that's better than getting hit with bullets, even the rubber variety, and far more manageable than tear gas.

...the development of the weapon only became public after the Sunshine Project - a Texas-based group that campaigns against biological and chemical weapons - pushed for disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.
The group's director, Edward Hammond, said: "If we are not prepared to use it as a crowd control technique on our own citizens, then we really shouldn't be using it in Iraq either."

Heads up to our friends in Europe:

Raytheon, the company contracted to manufacture the prototype, has also received interest from several undisclosed European countries.

Once they finish "testing" the device on the people of Iraq, is there any doubt the next area of deployment will be domestic?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-11-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

It works by dispatching high-powered radio waves from a vehicle antenna, similar to a satellite television dish, causing the molecules in a target's skin to vibrate violently, creating a burning sensation.

This worries me.
That is exactly how your microwave works. Aside from all the possible problems with metallic objects on (or in) your targets, agitating molecules within your cellular structure is a really great way to cause cancer.

So instead of one or two people being killed at the riot, this would condemn hundreds to die a slow agonizing death over the next decade or two.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

Yeah, "non-lethal," right...

With the mind-set apparent lately behind all the "non-lethal" Tasering incidents, I can only imagine how well something like this is going to be deployed by the same bullies.

"Well, the old lady in the wheel chair wouldn't move fast enough, it's simply unfortunate she succumbed to the infections brought on by the alleged blistering effect of this 'non-lethal' method of crowd dispersal."

Yeah, what about the effects of this heat ray on people who are unable, for whatever reason, to escape it's influence, such as the people in the front of the crowd hemmed in by those in the rear?

Thanks for your post, BitRaiser.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I wonder if these are related:

"Maximum Pain" Weapon Under Development

Maximum pain is aim of new US weapon

There have been other stories of microwave and truck mounted tazer weapons being developed for crowd control.

Gee, I wonder what they are getting ready for?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
As I understand it, this is already approved for use in Iraq. I think this is old or recycled news. Of course, I could be mistaken.

This is in fact technically considered a microwave device. I posted a little info, both on the tech used in this device and a few things to consider if they do come to your town. Here's the post, the relevant paragraphs are the last 3 in it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Yeah really it makes you wonder... Some people may see an advantage to this they make it sound very nice the way they frame it...
But look at it this way.. its just another tool preventing us from taking back our Government, from the tyrants You can count on this being used against those who try...

They are turning the populace into submissive obedient dogs, this is just one more addition, how long till we have chips in our bodies that shock us when we get out of line?

[edit on 17-11-2007 by C0le]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
we must use heat guns depleted uranium isnt enuff we must give them skin cancer as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well hell, why do you think everythings been topsecret? So they can continually make weapons like this to control the population and crowds. And this whole time the regular citizens have let it happen. There's no taking over the government, it's way past that. Unless private people get busy to counter such devices and invent a few of our own.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser

It works by dispatching high-powered radio waves from a vehicle antenna, similar to a satellite television dish, causing the molecules in a target's skin to vibrate violently, creating a burning sensation.

This worries me.
That is exactly how your microwave works. Aside from all the possible problems with metallic objects on (or in) your targets, agitating molecules within your cellular structure is a really great way to cause cancer.

So instead of one or two people being killed at the riot, this would condemn hundreds to die a slow agonizing death over the next decade or two.

This is my concern, too. If you're putting sufficient energy in to create heat, you're creating damage, too.

(From source posted in original topic):

When the driver had separately checked on his own screen that I was the right target, the young airman squeezed the red trigger on a joystick to release the invisible beam of millimetre waves at me from the antenna on the vehicle's roof.

The energy struck my skin but only penetrated 1/64th inch (the thickness of three sheets of paper).

That sounds like a microwave device to me - and microwaves can cause cataracts and other health problems, as well as cancer.

Non-lethal? No chance!!

[edit on 17-11-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I wonder if there's an effective counter measure for this type of device?

Maybe the effects would be diminished if one wore heavy, soaking wet clothing?

Or wrapped yourself in tin foil.

(I've got my hat already!
)

Perhaps a simple sheet of mylar would do the trick?

I suppose it wouldn't matter, if they couldn't smoke you with the ray gun, they'd smoke you with a real gun.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
In theory, if the penetration is so shallow, heavy leather would be enough to absorb the rays. Problem is, you'd have to have a full suit complete with eye protection. You'd prolly stand out just a bit. Police already target protesters who have bandannas, goggles, and water bottles to ward off pepper spray/tear gas. I imagine they'd jump all over you if you showed up in an anti-heat-ray suit.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I wonder if these are related:

"Maximum Pain" Weapon Under Development

Maximum pain is aim of new US weapon

There have been other stories of microwave and truck mounted tazer weapons being developed for crowd control.

Gee, I wonder what they are getting ready for?

It has actually been my recent opinion, year or two, that war these days are really an avenue by which to test refined versions of previous technologies as well as new....

Keep in mind, the biggest unpredictability may just be human behaviour. If the marketing industry is to daily human consumer habits, then the military (even pharmaceutical; similar context) is to imposed physical incapacitation (albeit, when necessary).

It's not abuse if there is no bruise..right?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bushwacked
we must use heat guns depleted uranium isnt enuff we must give them skin cancer as well.

Obviously science wasn't your strong suit. UVB causes skin cancer not microwaves. Interesting how the ignorant always post throw away comments such as this.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Don't be so damned quick to brand others with ignorance when you make statements that are incorrect.

Electric and magnetic fields are complex physical agents whose potential health effects are the subject of much research. Particularly controversial are the biophysical mechanisms by which these RF fields may affect biological systems. General health effects reviews explore possible carcinogenic, reproductive and neurological effects. Health effects by exposure source are noted in radar traffic devices, wireless communications with cellular phones, radio transmission, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

US Department of Labor, Heath impacts of RF and Microwave exposure

The term carcinogen refers to any substance, radionuclide or radiation which is an agent directly involved in the promotion of cancer or in the facilitation of its propagation.

Wiki Entry: Carcinogen
Don't you just feel so silly right now?
Well, that because you should.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
All your article says is possible this and possible that, there is no fact. In fact i have read more circumstantial evidence that eating potatos gives you cancer. God help us if the Amerians start sending potato to Iraq, what wil you label that ? A potential biological weapon because consumption may cause cancer.

Post some proof not conjecture.

PS. These concerns you quoted refer to long term exposure not a mater of seconds. So the information is irrelevent.

Do I feel silly, based on what you've put forth not at all, in fact the egg is on your face.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by mad scientist]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

*sigh*

You said that they do not cause cancer, when in fact it is believed that they do.
Long term exposure and short term high density exposure are both equate to the same thing.

Recall that the article that I linked to was discussing cellphone and computer use. Not exactly things that will send you screaming when exposed to them.

If you don't believe that microwaves can potentially cause cancer, go disable the safety feature on your microwave oven and kindly nuke your hand for 3 seconds or so (or just until it starts to feel hot).*

* Do not do the above. Doing so would be stupid. I absolve myself of any legal actions should someone preform this boneheaded action. Nor do I advise anyone to allow a Government agent to force this action upon you through the use of a "heat ray".

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
You said that they do not cause cancer, when in fact it is believed that they do.

And ? you have posted nothing which says they do - SIGH.

Long term exposure and short term high density exposure are both equate to the same thing.

INCORRECT

Recall that the article that I linked to was discussing cellphone and computer use. Not exactly things that will send you screaming when exposed to them.

Yes long term exposure and they still haven't proved anything. YAWN,

If you don't believe that microwaves can potentially cause cancer, go disable the safety feature on your microwave oven and kindly nuke your hand for 3 seconds or so (or just until it starts to feel hot).

Whihc would prove what ? The microwaves heat objects. Doesn't proove anything you said in the slightest.

Non-ionising radiation has enough energy to move things around inside a cell but not enough to change cells chemically. The radiation from a microwave oven is non-ionising. Other examples include

Ultraviolet rays from the sun or sunbeds
Electromagnetic fields
Radio waves
Radiation waves given off from household electrical appliances, heaters, mobile phones with or without headsets and computers and their screens
The only type of non-ionising radiation that we know can cause cancer is over exposure to ultraviolet rays, which causes skin cancer.
www.cancerhelp.org.uk...

SIGH - deems someone doesn't understand what they're talking about. Do you feel silly ? you should.

[edit on 18-11-2007 by mad scientist]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Sometimes conversing on the internet is like trying to open a coconut with a nerfbat.

I'm done arguing semantics with you.

My ascertain stands; If this weapon puts out enough energy to cause physical discomfort through agitation of molecules within an organism's cellular structure, there exists danger of cancer.

I smell another Agent Orange in the making.
"Perfectly safe, perfectly safe! Oops... we damn near wiped out an entire generation of a nation. Oh well, we've got government endorsed liability coverage, so it's not our fault. Let's re-brand it and sell it on the private market!"

"Round Up", in the case of Agent Orange, is the name that Monsanto is selling it's failed military experiment to the people. Just so ya know.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
I wonder if there's an effective counter measure for this type of device?

Maybe the effects would be diminished if one wore heavy, soaking wet clothing?

Or wrapped yourself in tin foil.

(I've got my hat already!
)

Ya know.. I read your first line and hit Quote, only to find you'd already stolen my joke !!

I don't really like the idea of microwaves being used as a form of crowd control - there are apparently even cumulative effects from low levels exposure of it... Even the guys over at MillitaryPhotos are not too sure about the thing..

And as for long term exposre!!

Just imagine they combine it with this nasty little death ray...

A Paralyzing Beam !

The project will see a Peak Beam Systems Maxa Beam searchlight adapted to operate as a strobe capable of inducing physical effects, such as short-term paralysis, in humans.

That tech. worries me a bit more, screwing with the nervous system...

(edited typos)

[edit on 18/11/2007 by badw0lf]

[edit on 18/11/2007 by badw0lf]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join