It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Static Playing on Audio Equipment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well I think we've nailed down the source then, I'm surprised that it affects your clock from so far away, it seems that your clock is very sensitive to the RF your wife's phone uses. I fear the only solution would be to turn the phone off at night or as gotrox said, buy a new clock, maybe just a buzzer type not a clock radio.

Slightly O/T in response to AlienADHD: that story about the Australian workers worries me just a bit since for four years I worked at a TV station located smack dab in the middle of an antennae farm. We always used to joke about getting cancer from it, hope that isn't the case... There are many other ways to get cooked if you work with transmission, microwaves are used to beam signals from point A to point B and the engineers always warned us of standing in the path of them (child bearing purposes
), also strong satellite uplinks can cook you if you stand in front of the dish from what I've heard. And AM towers are energized, so if you grabbed one it could electrocute you.

I've often wondered just how much we are affecting ourselves and the world around us by filling up the wireless spectrum with these different energies and frequencies, even carrying cell phones around, if it affects our electronic devices and we are all electrical beings, what are we doing to ourselves? Didn't Tesla scrap his wireless energy project because he was worried about the effects it would have on the human mind? Spose we'll start to find out in the next few years.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thanks thebeard and everyone.

I'm going to toss the clock and get a new one. It seems to be happening more frequently and is starting to annoy me. I don't know where the interference is coming from. I'm not sure if it only happens when that cell phone is in the house.
BTW the clock was a dirt cheap Durabrand (Walmart) that I got in August.

It is truly fascinating, what we can't see all around us.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
With respect to the sound playing when the computer is muted, etc:

I have a motorola (this company's phones seem to have the most reaction with audio equipment that I've observed), And the same thing happens, the reason is that the phone interferes with the output of the sound device itself, IE your speakers, regardless of the signal from your computer. If the speakers have power, they can be used to produce these sort of sounds. The only way to stop this from happening is to turn them off.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What doesn't seem any more clear to me is as to why the sound is made when the phone doesn't ring?

It is as if the signal is present but the initiating phone call isn't.

How can that be unless the frequency is sent randomly that calls the phone.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebeard
I've often wondered just how much we are affecting ourselves and the world around us by filling up the wireless spectrum with these different energies and frequencies, even carrying cell phones around

12+ years ago our work fleet used Motorola "trunked" radios with early cell phones. There were warnings to stay away from the exterior-mounted antenna (or be inside the vehicle) when broadcasting, "to avoid radiation burns".

Today we use handhelds, and you gotta wonder if there is any risk from holding a transmitter right against your skull. "Officially" there's no health risk, but you know how that goes.

And yes those handhelds also interfere with AM radios nearby; there's a regular static "pop" when talking.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I think ufopunx's friends are right and the random interference when no one is calling is just the cell phone checking in with the tower to see if it (the phone) has moved. I checked out the how stuff works link that Copernicus left and dug around a bit and found this tidbit:

Source

Along with the SID, the phone also transmits a registration request, and the MTSO keeps track of your phone's location in a database -- this way, the MTSO knows which cell you are in when it wants to ring your phone.

That quote was more in regards to when you first turn the phone on but they do talk about switching networks in some of the other sections and how the towers can keep track of you as you move around. I'm guessing that it is just a way for the tower to keep tabs on where your phone is so it can route the calls to you quicker and find the closest tower to you. Otherwise it would get a call and not know where the heck you were. I'm no cell phone expert, but that is my guess.

I also just came across this article which is pretty interesting:

Source
The cell phone interference issue seems to be a bigger problem for people using certain carrier networks. Why?

It's true, customers on AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile and the old Nextel networks experience this problem more frequently than those on Verizon Wireless and Sprint networks. The reason is that AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile and Nextel use cell phone technologies that use a radio channel access method known as TDMA (time division multiple access).

Networks for AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile are built on GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications), while Nextel uses iDEN (Integrated Digital Enhanced Network).

*snip*

Because these networks operate in a "time division" fashion their radio frequency transmitters are turned on and off at fast rates. And this can often be picked up by nearby devices.

Verizon and Sprint's network use a technology called CDMA (code division multiple access). It does not use TDMA for sharing channels. CDMA transmitters are transmitting signals almost constantly, so they don't cause the interference buzz.

So it isn't all modern cell phones that do this, only certain carriers. So one way to avoid it would be to go with one of the non-offending carriers I spose. This is a fun thread, I've been using a cell phone for about 11 years now and I never really questioned exactly how they work, I just accepted that they did.

gb540: that is a bit concerning isn't it? I know that the older phones and radios had to put out more juice to hit the tower, but I haven't read any recent studies regarding the affect of modern phones on people. I do remember the big stink a few years ago when it started to become common for parents to buy their young kids cell phones and people were worried about brain damage but I haven't heard much about it lately. I may have to go searching about for some studies on this matter.

And hey Umbrax, perhaps when you go shopping for the new clock you should bring the phone along and make a call right next to the one you are going to buy just to make sure there isn't any interference
it would suck to get a whole new clock and find it has the same problem...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thebeard

It appears that "TheBeard"s post has hit the nail on the head. Until last
week, my phone service was Cingular/AT&T. My speakers would buzz
and crackle even when no calls were coming in. They'd really make noise
if a call arrived. My mouse pointer would also "walk" it's way across the
screen for no reason from time to time.

This week, I ported my service over to SPRINT because the signal is
better here in my neighborhood. Not a single buzz from the speakers,
or ghost-like movement of the mouse pointer since. And I have the phone
laying right on the desk next to the desktop speakers most of the time.

Excellent detective work TheBeard! This information should be posted
on the front page of some high-visibility consumer website, because
there are probably millions of people across the planet with buzzing
speakers, ghostly mouse pointers and other phenomena freaking them
out, with no idea that it's only their GSM networked cellphone causing
it. I guess if you live in an apartment with tenants all around you, there's
not much that can be done, unless newer PC speakers come with some
type of shielding against electromagnetic transmissions. Thanks again.
-CareWeMust in Chicagoland

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
reply to post by thebeard

It appears that "TheBeard"s post has hit the nail on the head. Until last
week, my phone service was Cingular/AT&T. My speakers would buzz
and crackle even when no calls were coming in. They'd really make noise
if a call arrived. My mouse pointer would also "walk" it's way across the
screen for no reason from time to time.

Yes, I get that too sometimes, really bugs you out the first time
But it seems that only optical mouse devices are affected by RF cellular waves.

Btw, mobile phones are dangerous because of these emmitions. It is not recommended to carry a phone in your pocket (as the waves affect the... ...you know what
), on a lace around your neck (affects the heart and chest), and close to your head, when you're sleeping for example (affects the brain). It's all well-proven... There also are these RF-wave absorbers available as small stickers which light up and take some of the energy of these waves.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
OK
so do the noises make you angry or sad?
do the noises make you want to do things?
you could put little tin hats on everything
that makes these noises

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Umbrax, I was getting ready to shut down my comp just now because I was getting this digital code sound from my speakers, it was really annoying and a bit disturbing.
I saw your thread at the top of the main page and so here I am, I have no cell phone here and my clock radio is unplugged and in the other end of the house, my thought was oh no what if they are putting some kind of crap on my pc? Working out the back door?
Well I am no help but I will keep an eye on this thread and also want to check out that deal on the first page to see what this might be.
I have the sound down right now, and if I had to put a physical symptom to this it hits me in both temples...
Very weird that you had posted this.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I've heard that noise too unbrax and the best explanation to me is that everyday about 1,200 new people buy a cell phone and use it. Cell phone towers are every where and interference is common.

Just imagine all the rest of human interference. Radio waves, microwaves, satellite interference. All of these signals are firing at the same time around the world.

Also this reminds me of the movie phenomenonII, where the guy hears the morris code of the military and let's the military know about it. He has to disappear after that and live in hiding.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hearing 'messages' embedded in noise could be early sign of schizophrenia

www.physorg.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Okay, so don't think I'm a nut for this reply (since it is my first reply to a post).

Your post really caught my attention the other day because a similar thing happens to me.

It started several months ago- maybe 6-8. At random times, on random applicances etc. I get a loud buzzing. I have never heard any type of morse code or anything. It is a loud constant buzzing that lasts anywhere from 2-10 seconds.

At first I dismissed it as some sort of electrical interference, but due to the variety of places I heard this noise and the variety of circumstances I don't know what to attribute it to.

I first started hearing this on car speakers (while driving someone else's car)--I thought it was their stereo, I have heard it on my own tv and at a friend's house on their tv (they had never heard the sound before), I have heard the sound coming from my car radio, the radio in my house and even lights (I think--nothing else was on at the time). I have never heard anything from my computer.

My car has had MANY bizarre electrical issues that only seem to happen when I am there (my husband drives my car a lot)--lights suddenly flashing, the key controller not working, random signal lights coming on, and the radio seeming to stop for a second before restarting again, being literally locked in my car twice (yes, that scared me) and I have had my car gone over and "fixed" three times. It was a blown fuse, or a battery problem or "we can't find anything wrong". It's a 2006, it's not old.

In most instances my cell phone was on me, but many times it wasn't.

The only thing that came to my mind, and I'm not saying that I'm one of them, is that certain people posses some type of charge that their body emits that causes electrical things to go haywire when they are around them (lights brightening or going out, electrical interference, etc.).

Another part of me thinks back to lectures I have heard about "spirits" trying to communicate with people.

Then there is the scientist part of me that just wonders how so many electrical interferences could happen, but I'm sure it's possible somehow. We have so many electronics nowadays, that I'm sure some of them react when put together, but it does make you wonder....

So you are not alone in strange electrical noises

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have found these periodic bursts of static buzz are indigenous to the EDGE system, as opposed to the 3G system. My Samsung Sync operating on AT&T is 3G enabled and does not cause this noise when in a 3G area. However, when I travel through an EDGE zone, I will get this periodic noise pattern, especially if I'm listening to the phone's music player through an amp. Of course an EDGE-only phone like the first generation IPhones will do this regardless of the type of zone they're in. I wish I could find a solution to this problem, but it's definitely a phenomenon of the EDGE system. The noise gets into amplifiers, so it's hard to determine the radio interference component. A friend who has a film-to-video transfer business says his phone puts those noise bursts into the projector amplifiers and he has to turn off his phone while doing film transfers or the noise will end up on the recorded DVD.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join