It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW lincoln photo's at gettysburg found!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

NEW lincoln photo's at gettysburg found!

news.aol.com

Photos of Lincoln are incredibly rare; only about 130 exist. Until now, there was only one known photo of the 16th president at Gettysburg - sitting in a crowd of dignitaries on Nov. 19, 1863, just after delivering the legendary speech.

The new photos are enlarged details from much wider crowd shots; they were discovered by a Civil War hobbyist earlier this year in the vast trove of Library of Congress photographs digitized since 2000, and provided to USA TODAY.

They show a figure believed to be Lincoln, white-gloved and in his trademark stovepipe hat, in a military procession.

"It is just staggering to look at," said Harold Holzer, author of several books on Lincoln and vice chairman of the Lincoln Forum, a group of more than 250 enthusiasts who meet annually at Gettysburg. On Saturday, the group gets a chance to gaze at huge projections of the images and decide for themselves. Holzer will lead a discussion on the find, seen until now by only a few experts.

Thank modern technology - and a dogged amateur historian - for the discovery.

John Richter, 51, of Hanover, Pa., had loved Gettysburg since he was a kid; for 20 years had been collecting stereoviews or stereographs, which use special viewers to turn pairs of images into a 3-D view.

A board member of the non-profit Center for Civil War Photography, he had always been interested in the Gettysburg stereoviews, available free for the past several years on the Library of Congress website. When he saw negatives 1159 and 1160, taken seconds apart, he said to himself, "I think I see something going on."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
wow a new lincoln photo at gettys burg but the question is is it him? what do you guys think?

[edit on 0Nov10]103030p:/ by ArtemisFowl]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
if these photos are real, then that's pretty amazing

one of the oldest most famous public addresses actually captured via photography

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The photo's themsleves are absolutely amazing and I would like to thank Artemisfowl for sharing them. I have been to several battlefieds in PA and VA and I find them amazing places to visit, the feeling you get when staring out at a battlefield is quite awe-inspiring. In regards to the photo, I would say inconclusive, but it sure would be cool if it was. Very possible, just no way to verify.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
yeah but you never know i mean it looks like him but you never know still i agree its good

top topics

join