It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Green Bay Packers Fan Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Today should be a win. The Panthers just don't have it. Heard on the radio that Steve Smith is out. Testeverde is old enough to be Favre's dad. The Packers will be ready for the run, and trust that Vinnie can't beat them.

I expect the Pack to continue to run the ball with Grant. The Panthers like to play cover two, and I expect the Packers to work the middle of the field with inside screens and Donald Lee. If they try to play man to man, slants and stop and go routes will be the norm, and Favre might throw four TD's.

If the Packers lose this one it will really surprise me.

I'm not going to worry about the Cowboys until the Panthers and Lions are beaten.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hahahahahahaha! I've heard of screwing the pooch, but the Panthers just got screwed by the pooch!

It's all down hill from here.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
watching the game right now, things looking good. only worry is the defense getting tired in the second half.

14-3 Packers winning and the Panthers just got the ball on the packers 17

Couple blown calls by the officials that went against he Pack, one that could have been an INT, and the latest a missed pass interference call that resulted in the latest 4th down of the pack

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Pack are looking good again! I refuse to become a true believer because that'll be the week that things fall to hell.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
hmmm? Did I say the Packers would work the middle of the field with Donald Lee? That's two down the middle to Lee.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
9-1!

Hopefully Grant is ok. I saw he went off. But he appeared to be walking without much of a limp. So I guess that's good.

Donald Lee was clutch today. I think this may have been the game that finally gets Franks shipped out, or at least benched. I'd much rather have Donald as the starter.

Defense played good, except for a few of those long plays. But, it happens. The key turnovers off set that.

Overall good game.

DETROIT LOST! Three games up! Let's make it four here in a few days!

(in the meantime...come on Washington...)

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
9-1 WooHoo!
By all rights,Green Bay could be 10-0,but thanks to James Jones being so giving during the Bears game,they arent.
That being said,they are still one of the best teams in the NFL.
Another good win today over the Panthers.
Go Packers!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The Redskins suck.

That's all I got to say.

**Record Alert**

Brett Favre needs 886 passing yards to tie Dan Marino for the all time passing yards record of 61,361.

[edit on 11/18/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I hope he falls a yard short of tying the record....

Because then that guarantees he'll be back for at least one game next season!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkHelmet

I think if they win or go to the Super Bowl, he'll be done. Better to go out on top than stay too long.

I personally think he could play another three years though.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I'm a Seahawks fan but I do like Favre and the Pack. I guess that Cowboys game is looking bigger and bigger huh?

I'm going to root for old man Favre but I'll give the Cowboys an edge since they are playing in Dallas..

Prediction:

Cowboys 27 Packers 20

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Most likely, the Dallas-Green Bay game will determine homefield advantage. You can bet your ass that Dallas won't be playing that game to lose. One thing that I have often viewed as being weird is that in all of these years, as many times as Dallas has beat Green Bay, they have Never beat Green Bay in Lambeau field... Look it up..
:shk:

You can bet your ass that Dallas isn't looking to play in the cold in the middle of January at Lambeau field.

Dallas wins...

Dallas 24
Green Bay 21

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Of course Dallas won't be playing to lose. Who does play to lose other than teams going for the #1 pick?

But just as you said Dallas will be playing harder because they know homefield will go through Green Bay if they don't win, couldn't you make the same case for Green Bay playing harder so they get Dallas to have to come to Lambeau?

To truly get an idea of who may win this, you gotta break down the teams.

Green Bay Offense vs Dallas Defense

Green Bay is the number one passing offense with 298.8 yards per game. Dallas' pass defense is 16th in the league, giving up 211 a game.

Now, I don't know Dallas' defensive backs all that well aside from Roy Williams and Terence Newman, but Green Bay has seven dangerous options to pass to. You could make the case that Favre is the one that makes them dangerous, but the fact is, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, Lee, Robinson, and Grant can all catch, and can all run.

Given that Green Bay passes more than they run, and they put a lot of these guys out there every play, Dallas will have to focus on covering these guys rather than pass rushing. No pass rush means Green Bay can sneak a few good runs in here and there, and it means Favre will have time to throw the ball.

Dallas does seem to have a good run defense, and typically you have to open up your running game in order to open up your passing game, but I think Green Bay has done the opposite this year. Their passing game has been so good that Ryan Grant has been able to step in and open up a running game.

So I'm not sure what Dallas is going to do. Are they going to stick to their strength and stop the run and try to force the passing game down? Or are they going to try and put everything in to stopping Favre and make Grant beat them?

Dallas Offense vs Green Bay Defense

Dallas is the number three passing offense with 274.2 yards a game. Green Bay's defense is the number 18 ranked defense, giving up 213 yards a game. So it's close to the same situation here as it is Green Bay's offense vs Dallas' defense.

The big question is - can Tony Romo beat Green Bay's defense? Is he good enough? Does he have enough under his belt to take that next step and truly show up in a huge game like this? In the huge game he played earlier against New England, he threw for 199 yards, 2 TD's, and an interception. Yes, it is New England and there is a difference, but this is still a huge game. Is he easily bothered by pressure? That'll be key.

T.O. is going to have to face two of the best corners in the league in Woodson and Harris, and if he comes over the middle, he'll have to deal with two very good linebackers in Hawk and Barnett. I'm not saying he'll be shut down. He'll get his catches, of course. But I wouldn't expect a 150+ yards and 4 TD type of game.

So that leaves it up to Crayton. Can he produce and give T.O. and Romo a little help? He's been really inconsistent and has dropped passes at times.

I don't expect Witten to be easily guarded. He's going to get his catches. That may be the weapon that Romo will have to use. If he doesn't go to him often, Dallas may not put up a whole lot of points. Against good tight ends, such as Gonzalez and Gates, the Packers gave up 100+ yards to both of them, and Gonzalez scored a TD. If I was Dallas, I'd go to Witten often.

Dallas seems to have a fairly good running game, but it remains to be seen whether they'll be able to get past Green Bay's run defense. In four games against Tomlinson, A. Peterson, and Larry Johnson, they gave up 272 rushing yards and 1 TD. That's 68 yards a game average. So they do have a fairly good run defense.

Overall, I think Dallas and Green Bay are very close. Their run defense rankings are close. Their pass defense rankings are close. Their pass offense rankings are close. The run offense rankings aren't close, but Green Bay seems to have found their guy now and it's starting to pick up. He's no Tomlinson or Peterson, but he's good enough to help out Favre's passing game.

Also, both Dallas and Green Bay have a near exact opponent's combined record/strength of schedule. Both lost in ways that you shake your head at; Green Bay lost a trap game that could have EASILY gone the other way, and Dallas lost to a team that just doesn't look like they can be beat. A loss is a loss, I realize that. But still - both losses seem a little iffy as long as we're talking about how close both could be to being undefeated.

The only difference I can see that may play a part is Dallas has had a couple games where they kinda pulled it out in the end and could have easily lost.

They're both good teams, though. It'll be a good game. It'll be a tough game for both.

Take my biased assessment of the game how you will.

Green Bay: 34
Dallas: 28

[edit on 11/19/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'll lose a serious wager if Dallas wins the Super Bowl, so yeah, consider me a Packer fan right about now. Even though either team should feel the fury of Thor's (Tom Brady's) hammer in a Super Bowl, stranger things have been known to happen.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Something you are missing is that Green Bay is a very YOUNG and inexperienced team. Without Favre, are they 9-1? I honestly doubt it. I honestly can't believe their 9-1 now... With that said, I would have never projected Dallas to be 9-1 before the season started either.. So..

Green Bay will try to blitz Romo... You know what I say? Let them...
If they don't get to him, and they won't, he will make them pay. Romo is actually, in my opinion, better under pressure than he is when he just sits back there in the pocket.

Defensively... I'll say this, Dallas' secondary is vulnerable, especially on Jacque Reeves side. I look for Dallas to use a lot of cover three and four defenses.. If they do this, Favre is only going to have one viable receiver open and that's only if they run four and five receiver sets,which, I don't see them doing a lot of.

[edit on 19-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 19-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

There's no way Green Bay is 9-1 without Favre. But the fact is, they do have Favre, and things are working. So yeah, they are young, and they aren't the same without Favre, but as long as things are working, then I don't consider that an issue.

If they truly go after Romo, Kampman and KGB will get to him. And even if KGB doesn't, Kampman definitely will at least once. He's too good. He's beaten many offensive lineman this year already.

Green Bay will show a lot of four and five wide receiver sets. They usually do. Whether they run or pass, though, is a different story.

[edit on 11/19/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
BTW, Kabeer Gbaja Biamila is the greatest sports name ever. The fact that it can be shortened to "K.G.B." makes it even better.

I'm seriously thinking about legally changing my name to that. I'll be the only white boy on the planet with that name.

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's too soon to worry about the Dallas game. First I want to watch them beat the Lions as my 24.50 pound turkey slowly changes from white to golden brown. The smell of roasting turkey should greatly add to the experience.

I think it is very important for the Packers to follow the old cliche of one game at a time. They are too young a team to be looking past any game, much less a division game against a team whose QB passed for 377 yards while losing.

See them beat the Lions, eat about five pounds of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, various tasty casseroles, and assorted pies, then start worrying about the Cowboys. That's my Thanksgiving plan.

posted on Nov, 19 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Musky

I have the pleasure of listening to the whining on the television and radio when the Lions get their ass kicked (I live just north of Detroit..). It should be quite entertaining.

I know what Rod Marinelli is going to say in his press conference the next day. He says the same thing every week they lose. "These are men, now. This is on me. We're going to dust ourselves off, and we're going to get back to work. This is on me. I'm already looking to next week. We're going to get this fixed."

Same thing week after week. If you've heard one Marinelli press conference, you've heard them all.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here we go......

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers acknowledged Monday that the National Football League is investigating whether their players broke league rules by paying teammates for certain in-game goals.

The league prohibits players and teams "from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

ESPN reported Sunday that Packers defensive backs offered $500 to each of the team's defensive linemen if they held Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson to fewer n 100 yards in their Nov. 11 matchup.

Peterson finished the game with 45 yards in 11 carries, in part because he left the game with a right knee injury on a tackle by cornerback Al Harris, not a defensive lineman.

Source

I can see it now. Everybody is going to start saying Green Bay is cheating and they intentionally hurt Adrian Peterson and Larry Johnson

I can understand why it's a rule, but I truly hope people don't start accusing Green Bay of cheating. I don't see how this "bounty" would change the game. The defensive lineman, or whoever else, still has to get to that player, and still has to stop them or take them down.

Both the Larry Johnson and Adrian Peterson tackles were clean, normal football hits, as well.

General manager Ted Thompson later said the team was cooperating with the inquiry and thought the players might not have known about the rule.

"We, certainly in management, knew of the prohibition on something like that," Thompson said. "We're not convinced the players knew about it and that would be a communication snafu and that would be my responsibility."

What TT said there, I gained a lot of respect for him. I've been on him about some of his free agency moves, but standing up and taking responsibility, whether it's his fault or not, is a classy move by him and eliminates all the finger pointing that could be a distraction.

I think that if there were players that put these "bounties" on players, they should be fined, and not suspended. Hell, if we can only take away a draft pick, that will most likely be the last pick of the first round anyway, from New England for spying, then why should these guys get anything more than a fine?

I don't think it's right to put bounties on players, but I also don't think it changes the outcome of the game. Those are professional football players on the other side of the ball too. They still have to perform. The Packers still have to stop them. A measly $500 (to them) isn't going to make a difference.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join