It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Green Bay Packers Fan Thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, as far as I can remember, Green Bay really wasn't worth a damn until about 1993 or so, I don't remember hearing about how great Packers' fans were back in the 80s...

Have the Cowboys been sold out since 1960?

The Packers have been sold out as long as your team has existed, so lets not assume that since Green Bay sucked during that time that their fans weren't still completely supportive.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The Cleveland Browns Sale out regardless of their record,every year since, oh, I don't know late 1930s or early 40s... If you want to base "America's Team" on who has the best fans, as I stated earlier, Cleveland Browns are the nominee hands down...

[edit on 3-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Unfortunately for your argument, the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore. If the Houston Oilers history goes with the Tennessee Titans, then the Cleveland Browns history goes with the Baltimore Ravens.

This new Browns team has only been around about 8 years.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeah, and they're still selling out their games... Art Modell didn't move Cleveland out of Cleveland due to the fan base. He moved them out because his old ass didn't get what he wanted when he wanted it. :shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The Browns fans are so great that they couldn't even convince their city to build a new stadium and keep their team in town. That's the Browns II they support down there now. The real Browns are the Ravens.

Packer fans are by far the best. As to the Packers in the 1980's, I think I saw in a thread some place that you're about 30? You're barely old enough to remember the 1980's, much less how the Packers were treated by their fans.

Believe me, as a guy that has been a Packer fan since the first Super Bowl, I was six years old and remember my house full of partying neighbors, Packer fans were fiercely and drunkenly loyal throughout the dark days of both the 1970's and 1980's. The Bears/Packers/Mike Ditka/Forest Gregg rivalry in the 1980's was enough to keep Packer fans happy. Bart Starr was the coach before that and he was/is a God in this state.

They were just sad drunks instead of the happy proud drunks they became and have remained after the arrival of Wolf, Favre, and then Reggie White. Thank you team president, Bob Harlan for bringing us the last sixteen years of joy. They just hired his replacement today.

Remember, the Packers are the only pro sports franchise owned by their fans. When they needed money for the Lambeau rehab, they turned to the fans, and they bought more stock.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
The Browns fans are so great that they couldn't even convince their city to build a new stadium and keep their team in town. That's the Browns II they support down there now. The real Browns are the Ravens.

Ahem, ahem, they got a new stadium... They just didn't get it when dip #, Art Modell, wanted it. Cleveland has the best fans in the nation..

By the way, this coming from a Cowboys fan...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Packer fans are by far the best. As to the Packers in the 1980's, I think I saw in a thread some place that you're about 30? You're barely old enough to remember the 1980's, much less how the Packers were treated by their fans.

I've been watching football since about 1984 and I remember well..

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
When another team's fans solely own and support their team like the Packers do, then we can discuss who has the best fans.

The fans own them, pay for the stadium, pay for the players, pay for the coaches, pay for the training facilities - everything. There is no multi-billionaire single person owner to pay for everything or work the behind the scenes deals to get the city to foot some of the bill. It's all the fans.

The fans are the reason there is even a 'Green Bay Packers'.

Let's put it this way: The fans are the reason there is a team in Green Bay. A team in Green Bay is probably the only reason most of the world even knows there's a city in Wisconsin named Green Bay. The team brings in tourism money to Green Bay. That tourism money contributes to the economy, which benefits the residents of Green Bay, which goes back in to the team to pay for all of the costs.

Can you name a team whose fans have that much of an effect? People would know what Chicago is without the Bears. They'd know what New York is without the Giants or Jets. They'd know what Dallas is without the Cowboys.

The fans are the reason. Without the full support of the fans, there is no team. Being sold out since 1960 says a lot about the fan base. If what you said is true that they didn't have fan support in the 80's, then why did they sell out? Why didn't everyone sell off the season tickets? Why didn't everyone pull their name off the 35 year waiting list?

I don't know how anyone can look at the facts that they've been sold out since 1960, have a 35 year waiting list for tickets, and are owned solely by the fans, and make the case they're not the best fans in the NFL. There isn't another team you can name that meets such criteria as that.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

How can you speak so concretely on such a subjective issue?

What is the best fast food joint in the country? What is the best song of all time? Who has the best fans? It all depends on what you are looking for. Best fans? Let's go north of the border and switch sports.

This guy inhabited an environment where a city would of went to war, and almost tried. The Richard Riot almost led to the city being burned to the ground, because he was suspended for the playoffs. The guy blatantly knocked out a referee and the city stood behind him. In any sport these days, no matter how loved the individual is.. when they step out of line, they are out of line. If they back them, they do it quietly. But wrong is wrong. In this instance, he was dead wrong.. they knew it, and they didn't care.

I know we're talking football here, but when the topic of best fans come up.. I feel this has to be mentioned.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Can you name a team whose fans have that much of an effect? People would know what Chicago is without the Bears. They'd know what New York is without the Giants or Jets. They'd know what Dallas is without the Cowboys.

You're comparing cities that have a population in the millions to a city, Green bay, that barely has 125,000 people in it... Hmmm...okay.

Of course people would know what New York, Chicago and Dallas were without their teams being there. I'd have to say that if you removed any of those teams from the NFL, it wouldn't ever be the same, but that is a whole other story.

As far as Green Bay fans are concerned, yeah, they have some good ones. I just think your arrogance is absurd.

:shk:

As for Dallas fans, that is something I have complained about for as long as I can remember. You're right, everything is hoorah-hoorah, when they are up, which is about 80% of the time. They have been in the NFL for for 47 years and have been in the playoffs about 29-30 years out of that 47...When they are down, you don't hardly hear anything. It's sad really

However, I don't see much difference between Cowboys fans and about 95% of the rest of the country's fans... There are really only about three teamsthat have a fan base that supports their teams unquestioningly....

Cleveland Browns
Green Bay- like I said, they do have some good fans...
Maybe,maybe the Pittsburgh Steelers

All of the rest, as far as I can tell, are in the same boat with Dallas in regards to a fan base. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that the fans in Dallas are much better than many other places you go, namely Philadelphia or New York...

[edit on 4-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

However, I don't see much difference between Cowboys fans and about 95% of the rest of the country's fans...

Then why are the Cowboys called "America's Team"?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well, I have never been anywhere where I didn't encounter a Cowboys fan somewhere... However, that is beside the point.

That is actually a term that was coined by the NFL in the 1970s... Back in the 1970s they used to make videos of teams and one year, they labeled one of Dallas' videos "America's Team." That is how that all got started. It just stuck..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Novus, note that I also stated

As a matter of fact, I'd argue that the fans in Dallas are much better than many other places you go

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Also, it should be noted that Tom Landry never did like the "America's Team" designation for the Cowboys...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Novus, note that I also stated

As a matter of fact, I'd argue that the fans in Dallas are much better than many other places you go

I'd argue that they're not.

Historically good team doesn't equal good fans.

All I've ever seen out of Dallas fans is arrogance. Arrogant bandwagon riders is the perfect way to describe many Dallas fans.

Like all teams, I'm quite sure they do have their true followers.

But the arrogance is just overwhelming.

Can you really point to one thing about Cowboys' fans that sets them above the rest in a positive way?

I saw a lot of fans at the Miami game on Sunday. I'm sure Jets tickets still sell out. The Redskins, despite the circus of poor free agent signings and bad draft picks the last few years, have over 155,000 people on their waiting list for season tickets. That's more than double what Green Bay has. Oakland fans, as weird as they are, continue to go watch their team lose.

Those are true fans.

Anyway, you can respond to this post, but this is my last one on this topic. I think we've carried it a little past how far it needed to go.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Oakland...
How many times have they moved? Three? Four? More? :shk::shk:No, I don't think so.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just found an interesting news article about Mike McCarthy.

It lists the records to this point of the coaches who were hired after the 2005 season, compared to McCarthy's record.

Brad Childress is 12-16 with the Minnesota Vikings.

Rod Marinelli is 9-19 with the Detroit Lions.

Scott Linehan is 11-17 with the St. Louis Rams.

Eric Mangini is 13-15 with the New York Jets.

Gary Kubiak is 11-17 with the Houston Texans.

Sean Payton is 15-13 with the New Orleans Saints.

Herm Edwards is 13-15 with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Dick Jauron is 13-15 with the Buffalo Bills.

Mike McCarthy is 18-10.

Article

I bought in to the hype of the coaches and wanted them to hire Brad Childress or Eric Mangini.

I'm glad they didn't.

4 game improvement last year from the 4-12 season, now a 2 game improvement with the possibility of making it a 6 game improvement this year.

Pretty damn good.

Coach of the year?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
McCarthy certainly took a team that I viewed as a non-contender at the beginning of the season and turned it into a very good team. I think Green Bay probably did the right thing by hiring him..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Go overseas for a bit and ask about American Football. "Oh, like the Dallas Cowboys." is the response you'll get. When I say "Professional football cheerleaders" do you think "The cheese-etts?" (What ever Green bay calls their cheer squad) Of course not. It's Dallas Cowgirls.

Is it great marketing? I don't know but there's something to it. Here's an unoffical story behind America's Team.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Cheese-etts...
That was hilarious...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join