It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Green Bay Packers Fan Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
How many Packer fans do we have here on BTS? I know we got a few!

I started this thread for commentary about our Pack, and to discuss the rest of the season.

But I'd like to post this to kick it off, because I find it hilarious:

25. Green Bay: Something just doesn't smell right here. Maybe it's the loss of the Lambeau mystique; Green Bay was 3-5 at home last year. Maybe it's the schedule; four of the Pack's first five this year come against 2006 playoff teams. Maybe it's the bad chemistry between legend (Brett Favre) and architect (Ted Thompson). Whatever it is, my gut says the four-game winning streak to end 2006 wasn't a sign of better things to come.

Peter King Pre-Season Power Rankings

His "gut" says the four game winning streak wasn't a sign of better things to come.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight...

Some "expert" he is.

I mean, he had the Jets at 11th......come on....

To be fair, though, probably none of us knew they'd have a season like this. But still...

Anyways, we got Carolina this week. Predictions? Comments? Anything?

Another thing, Brett Favre and Ryan Grant were the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week! Link

That's awesome

Go Pack!

[edit on 11/16/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If we can establish a legitimate run game, which I believe we have in Grant, then we're going to see the respect from other teams that we deserve. Even with the strong record we've had all season, we never had a big spread to overcome. Why? No respect. We were a one man show, relying heavily on Brett Favre. Now that we've shown that we can run the ball, we see a large spread this week.

With Grant, he picked up big numbers last week.. but it was the timing of those yards that were impressive. Coming up big on second and third downs to keep the chains moving. In the first half, we dominated the clock and a lot of that is accredited to Grant's ability to pick up the big yards.

I think we seen a weakness last week with some dropped passes. There were three or four in the first half alone, that were guaranteed first downs. We can't drop those. Not against good teams.

Let's go with a good thing here!

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes, I really liked how Grant ran last week. Especially against a good run defense like the Vikings. The best in the league! No one had run for over a hundred yards on them this season in a game until Grant did it. Very impressive.

He also had a good game against Denver, so hopefully he'll be our guy from here on out.

About the respect thing, week after week, watching the pre-game shows on FOX and ESPN, some of those guys continue to say "Brett Favre will struggle today" "The Packers have no running game, it'll be tough to win" and on and on, yet week after week, they win.

The last three weeks they've said it. They talked about Denver's corners, Bly and Bailey, and said Green Bay would probably have to rely on their poor running game. A couple of them picked Denver because of it. But what happened? Favre burned both their corners, Grant had over a hundred yards, and they won.

We heard about KC having this great defense, yet they got burned also.

Then last week, hearing about Minnesota's great run defense, and it having to come down to Favre, Grant goes out and has a great game.

So yeah, very little respect. You don't win 12 of your last 13 (dating back to last year) and beat fairly good defenses 34-0 on accident. Hopefully the "experts" will start to realize that and throw a little more respect our way.

This week, I expect Grant to have another good game with Carolina struggling. I sense a more average type of game for Favre passing. I don't know why.

28-10 Pack

(Cowboys and Lions better lose)

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I see Carolina being very deflated, and I see an absolute romp for the Packers.

In Mirth's Pool, I was hesitant to take the Packers this week. But I thought about it, and I think they can do it. Even if I didn't, I don't think I could possibly go against them. But I did consider it this week.. if for just a moment. After thinking about it, I do believe it's going to be a big win. I'm thinking in the vicinity of forty points for us, and I think we'll hold the Panthers to about fifteen.

It's a long season, but we've been taken it a week at a time.

I really think we can come out of the NFC this year.

Looking at the Cowboys, Giants, and Lions... who scares you more?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I was also hesitant at first. I wasn't going to pick against the Packers. I still thought they'd win. It was just that spread that I was worried about.

But, I realized I'm almost 20 games under .500 in my picks record, so I picked Green Bay anyway.

Originally posted by chissler
Looking at the Cowboys, Giants, and Lions... who scares you more?

Definitely Dallas. We pounded the Giants earlier this year. We usually play well against the Lions. So I gotta say Dallas. They seem to be as consistent as Green Bay so far.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I've always got an opinion on the Packers. It's funny that Peter King wasn't behind the Packers, because he's a Favre groupie from way back.

Things have really come together for the Packers this year for a number of reasons. They are now a solid organization from top to bottom for the first time since Ron Wolf left. Mike Sherman was a fine conscientious coach, but was an absolute disaster as a judge of talent. He should have never been given the GM job and he almost sunk the Packers. Draft picks like Reynolds and Carroll were terrible, though he did score with Walker and Barnett. Where he really fell down was in free agency. The money spent on Joe Johnson and Cletius Hunt was wasted. He seemed to have problems handling players after becoming the GM. It's hard to make proper coaching decisions when you're the guy responsible for bringing in the players.

Ted Thompson is more conservative with the Packers money, and has made excellent decisions by redoing contracts for Al Harris, Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Donald Lee, Nick Barnett, etc. Consequently, the Packers are playing very well as a TEAM.

Even at their most productive under Mike Sherman, and they were very productive for a couple years under Sherman, they never clicked the way they are now. Favre had several good seasons statistically while Sherman was coach, but it was also when he was the most erratic and undisciplined. The number of interceptions during that time speak for themselves. I think Sherman lost track of what Favre does best. He turned the Packers in to a power running, down field passing team, and Favre has never been a great long passer. What he is is the best slant, out, screen, and fit it through a tire at a 100 mph passer who ever played the game. He needs to be in rhythm, and when he is, there is no one better. When he is in rhythm, he becomes a great long passer, as he's shown the last few weeks.

That leads to McCarthy. He has brought a young team together and has brought Favre back to what he is best at. He has also let Favre take ownership of the offense, which he never did under Sherman. At no point previously in his career has he called the number of audibles he does now. He is literally picking defenses apart, and it appears he could be calling as many a 30-40% of the plays at the line of scrimmage. He's still forced a few, but man he's a different player than he was with Sherman. Both he and the exciting young receivers he's working with are having a blast, and when Favre is throwing the ball with a smile on his face, the other team is in trouble. I also wonder if his wife's cancer may have been affecting him a couple years back, and now that she is better, he's back in the game.

Thanks to Thompson, McCarthy has an excellent mix of young and veteran defensive players. I am very impressed how, like with Favre, he has let Harris and Woodsen play their game, and is willing to live with a few penalties in exchange for big plays and the intimidation they bring to the field. Barnett is playing at a pro bowl level, this after signing a huge contract which has caused a lot of players to sit back and enjoy life.

The effort on the field is inspiring. Popinga, though he makes mistakes, plays like a wild man, and that's something they were missing. Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Williams, and Hawk all go all out on every play. They are a good safety or two away from total dominance.

Which leads to Aaron Kampman, the all star trier. I don't think there is a player in the league who has as much impact as he does, working with what he has to work with physically. He is the James Brown of the NFL, the hardest working man in football. Next to Favre, I think he is the most important player on the team.

I really think the Ted Thompson/Mike McCarthy combination is a very good one. I'm happy to say that, because I was pretty skeptical to begin with.

There's a few of my Packer thoughts for you. I think they'll beat the Panthers handily this Sunday. Come on, Testeverde is old enough to be Favre's dad. LOL.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by Musky]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Musky

I have a slightly different view of TT. To be honest with you, although I like our young receivers and I think they've been really good (or Favre has made them look good *cough*Bill Schroeder*cough* *cough*Javon Walker*cough*), I'm still a little disappointed that we didn't get Moss.

I mean, come on. They wanted a fourth rounder. A FOURTH ROUNDER! They took Allen Barbre with that pick. Ever heard of him? Me neither.

Also, Justin Harrell...

What are we doing with him? Is he just going to sit on the bench and collect a check? Can we trade him and get something? Is this one of those future prospect type things?

About McCarthy- I think he's done an excellent job. There've been those times where I think he should have thrown the challenge flag, or where he's not as pissed as I am about a penalty, but that happens. Overall, he's been a great coach, and like you said, he's really let Favre open up the offense, and it has helped them tremendously.

Overall, I can't really complain about any of their players' production (out of the good players). I think they've all played their role well. Harris has blown coverage a few times and Woodson has had some bad penalties.

The only players I really have a complaint about are Franks, Bigby, and Jared Bush.

I know Franks has been hurt, but if he's going to continue to not produce when he's in there, then they need to let him go and put Donald Lee in as the starter.

Bigby and Jarrett Bush.....my god..

Who told them they could cover people? They're awful. Twice recently I've seen them double team a receiver. One ended up a pass interference call in the end zone, and the guy caught it, but it was out of bounds. I think that was KC. And the other I think was last week against Minnesota where they ran into each other.

That's just bad.

Outside of Favre, Kampman has got to be their MVP this year. That guy just produces. He shows up every game with high intensity. He never quits on a play. I think it was against Denver, Kampman went to tackle Cutler (I believe), he broke away, Kampman got to him again, same play, Cutler broke away again, then Cutler runs half way across the field, and Kampman catches up and still tackles him behind the line of scrimmage, getting a sack. It's that kind of hustle that really is missing overall in the NFL.

The Packers can't let him go. When his contract is up, they need to give him big money. He's worth every penny. He's our new Reggie White!! ( not quite, but close
)

[edit on 11/16/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Wow, you're hard to please. They are 8-1. Harrell was a stretch, no doubt about that. Franks is already out, and won't be a major cog again, that's why TT re-upped Donald Lee. Harris has blown a few coverages? I guess. He's still a lock down corner, and he's playing tough bump and run out on an island with a bad back. Bush had a good game last week, and the team is high on him. I'll trust them. Bigby has been a problem. He does hit, though, which is a positive. They do need at least one new safety going forward, maybe Rouse will show something now that he has a chance. He's got great size and speed, we'll find out if he can play.

Moss would have looked good as a Packer, but NE payed him $2 million more than the Packers wanted too, and he had his choice of the two. Don't kid yourself, he wanted to go to NE.

Thompson is going to keep building through the draft. It's working. They are 8-1, and would be 9-0 if Brett doesn't throw that pass to Urlacher. Things couldn't be much better.

As far as worrying about a challenge here or there, or McCarthy's anger about penalties, I've heard him say in interviews that he's not going to get torn up over penalties coming from aggressive play. That's why they play hard for him.

Kampman is the second year of a big five year deal, so you have no worries there.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musky
Wow, you're hard to please.

That's what my teams in all four major sports have done to me. There's usually drama and bad luck involved, so I've taught myself to be skeptical until the end.

Harris has blown a few coverages?

I'd rather have him than a lot of corners in the league, but I just don't see why everyone says he's a "great" corner back. Maybe I just haven't really studied corner backs and he really is one of the best in the league. I guess I probably just have too high of expectations for corner backs.

Don't kid yourself, he wanted to go to NE.

Everybody has a price

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

That's what my teams in all four major sports have done to me. There's usually drama and bad luck involved, so I've taught myself to be skeptical until the end.

LOL. Dude, didn't I see where you just turned 20. You're not even old enough to remember the Packers when they were a truly bad team. Try being a Packer fan in the 70's and 80's during the Starr, Gregg, and Infante years. Then you would know about skepticism. They only thing that made it bearable for me was my youth and hard liquor.

Enjoy the ride, buddy. They're good, and I think they can be better. The Super Bowl might be a stretch, but it's already been a great year, and there's more good stuff to come. I hope they put on a show in Dallas in a couple weeks.

That being said, I am superstitious enough where I have been doing the same thing every week. I make a big batch of one comfort food or another, sit in my sweat pants, and watch the game with my wife. The only time I did something different is when I went to the Charger game. I even sold my Viking tickets because I was afraid I'd jinx them if I went to the game (of course getting $925 for the four of them didn't hurt). I'm hoping having my family over for the Lions game on Thanksgiving doesn't screw things up. They lose, and I'm going to be one angry turkey maker.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Musky

No, don't get me wrong. I know they're good. I'm really pleased with how they're playing.

It's just that in my short amount of time watching sports (only about 10 years), I've become so paranoid about a sudden tragedy happening and the whole season going down the drain. Favre going down would be along those lines.

But yeah, I definitely think they're good and I'm enjoying this season. I'm just taking it game by game and not really building myself up for a Super Bowl run until it happens. The last time I did that a certain 4 & 26 play in the divisional round of the playoffs happened.......:shk:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Being completely unbiased... look at the schedule:

Carolina Panther (4-5) Losers of 3 Straight including a morale crushing loss to the Falcons

Detroit Lions (6-3) Only win against a team with a winning record was the Bucs, so their record is misleading.

Dallas Cowboys (8-1) Nothing neds to be said here

Oakland Raiders (2-7) Absolutely horrible

St. Louis Rams (1-8) Same as previous x2

Chicago Bears (4-5) Our sole loss was more on our part than the Bears actually beating us

Detroit Lions (6-3) See above

Based on the rest of our schedule, there is no reason that we couldn't go at least 14-2. That loss coming to the Cowboys, who should be our only test. And if we can beat the Cowboys, then there is no reason that we couldn't go 15-1. now that record is too a little misleading, because the NFC is just horrible.

[edit on 17-11-2007 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkHelmet

I say 12-4, although that's painful to say (not that there's anything wrong with 12-4...)

I'm not saying they will definitely lose to Dallas, but I fully appreciate the possibility that it could happen. The other two losses may be one to Detroit (just to be fair about it), and a trap game such as Oakland or St. Louis. More likely St. Louis. I think they're better than Oakland. They've had injury issues, and they seem to be getting their guys back now.

To tell you the truth, 15-1 would hurt more than 14-2, because then we'd start saying "what if this, what if that" about that Chicago game and wondering if they had done this or that, we'd be 16-0. 15-1 would be very nice, but that would just bring the memories of that horrible Chicago game back in a big way.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They play in the NFC, enoug said!

Yeah they beat my donkeys and the chiefs, but who hasn't!?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Who are your donkeys?

As for it being because it's the NFC, you still gotta play the games and you still gotta win.

If they had lost those games, people would be saying they suck because they lost in the NFC. But if they win, it's because the NFC sucks. So I guess it's lose lose.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Did I said donkeys? I meant Broncos.

I agree with what you said about the Packers, someone has to win it, they might be that team.

But I still think Dallas is the team to beat in that conference.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
But I still think Dallas is the team to beat in that conference.

You bet your sweet ass they do..

Look, as a Cowboys fan, I will concede, Green Bay has a very good team. It's going to be interesting to watch these two teams play in a few weeks. I think Dallas will win it in a close one, but we'll see.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I think Dallas will win it in a close one

Well I think Green Bay will win it in a close one

So there

Indeed, we shall see. It'll be a good game and will no doubt frustrate one of our fan bases to no end. It's those big games that you put all your emotion in to, so it doesn't end well if your team loses.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Since you guys basically covered everything already, I just have one thing to say. GO PACK!

To Dallas::bash: We are going to bring the hammer down!

Whoooooo Hoooooooooooooo!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Steve Smith is out today. Carolina is done.

Big win today!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join