It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned / destroyed British cities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hey,

I wonder, do ya know a list of cities that were abandoned or destroyed during the British empire, such as Jamestown, Yorktown? Mostly english settlements or so.

Thanks!

[edit on 16-11-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well i could tell you!!
Or i could provide some links and you could do the research.

I'm feelin' lazy today so heres some links.
www.britishempire

Roanoke

capewars

BOT's

wiki - British Empire

cultureandrecreation

I dont think there's a list as such of abandoned settlements/towns/colony's etc, or at least i couldnt find one. I'd be interested if you put one together though.

Hope that helps.

mojo

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Port Royale in Jamaica

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Port Royale in Jamaica

thats pretty cool I had to look up why that was lost as I thought it had simply been renamed Kingston
but you were correct
it sank, and thats probably the closest to a real sunken continent we're ever going to see in this forum

On June 7, 1692, a devastating earthquake hit the city causing the sand on which it was built to liquefy and flow out into Kingston Harbour. The water table was generally only two feet down prior to the impact. The effects of three tidal waves caused by the earthquake further eroded the sand, and soon the main part of the city lay permanently underwater, though intact enough that archaeologists have managed to uncover some well-preserved sites. The earthquake and tsunami killed between 1,000 and 3,000 people combined, over half the city's population. Disease ran rampant in the next several months, claiming an estimated 2,000 additional lives.

After the earthquake on June 7, 1692, many believed the destruction to be an act of God because of the city's sinful reputation.

Some attempts were made to rebuild the city, starting with the one third of the city that was not submerged, but these met with mixed success and numerous disasters. An initial attempt at rebuilding was again destroyed in 1703, this time by fire. Subsequent rebuilding was hampered by several hurricanes in the first half of the 18th century, and soon Kingston eclipsed Port Royal in importance.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
How about soon to be?

Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester ...

Chavs, whose got em?

top topics

join