It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New stem cells discovered from menstruation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Researchers from Bio-Communications Research Institute in Wichita, Kansas have discovered a new type of stem cell which can be developed into heart, liver and lung cells from menstrual discharge.

Cells Discarded From Womb Lining During A Woman's Period Are New Type Of Stem Cell

ScienceDaily (Nov. 16, 2007) — The cells which thicken the womb wall during a woman's menstrual cycle contain a newly discovered type of stem cell, and could be used in the treatment of damaged and/or old tissue, according to new research.

[...]

"We have many problems with our current methods of stem cell therapy, like those taken from bone marrow," commented Dr Meng, "They may be rejected by the recipient and/or have limited potential to generate new tissue. Now we've found a possible new way to overcome these difficulties by using cells from menstrual blood."

[...]

A mere 5ml of menstrual blood collected from a healthy woman provided enough cells which after two weeks of culture provided beating heart cells. The results of this breakthrough research indicate that these cells could be cultured at a large scale, thereby providing an alternative to the current methods of using bone marrow and umbilical cord blood, which itself poses threats of rejection.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is quite fascinating. But I wonder if this source of stem cells will provide new fuel for religious fundamentalists against stem cell research? We all know that previous research in stem cell from embryos were mired in debate similar to the 'pro-life/pro-choice' argument. Will this source be mired in a similar controversy, this time being that it's 'dirty'?

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I can see this being blown all out of proportion. The religious types have a whole new thang to fight about now.

It will be interesting to see just how far these people and the government will go to interfere with a woman's right to control her own body.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So let me get this straight: instead of throwing it out on 'napkins' and the like, even a little bit can help science? I'm in. And to the religious argument: So apparently every menstrual cycle we kill a baby? o_O I figure this would be the easiest way to 'donate' stem cells, rather than going through the controversial way (apparently). And whoever (religious or otherwise) thinks this method is 'dirty' needs to just grow up

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

It's been my experience that the older the person gets, the more 'fundamental' they become in regards to their religion. But then again, to 'grow up' isn't exactly the same as to 'get older', which should be more wiser.

Anyway, just throwing in that religious angle not because it's my own personal belief, but it's something I can foresee happening, in light of the old embryonic stem cell debate.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

Regarding the "dirty" issue, I agree. Such archaic attitudes should have died centuries ago, but we all know why they didn't.

Here's to progress and all the open-minded women who will eventually step forward to assure it!

top topics

join